How to get better at poker

L

lilboots831

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m trying to really become a decent poker player but I need some tips on some things I can do to improve my game

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best thing to do is play in low level games. Free rolls would be good to start and hone your skills. Experience can't be bought, you have to put in the time and play and learn from your mistakes.

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For sure, you've got to get used to how people play on different sites and the different possible games offered. Like said above - start with the lower level tables not for profit so much as learning more about outcomes and bluffs/truth.:eek:

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
watch youtube videos read books, listen to fnigers182005!

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m trying to really become a decent poker player but I need some tips on some things I can do to improve my game

Read some articles and when you play try and remember your mistakes and correct them.

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read a book, play play play, watch youtube videos and try different type of games and choose whats your best. At the moment i found SNG for me.

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey. It depends on what poker goals you have. If you just want to play a tournament here and there I would suggest to read some books and follow some succesfull players on youtube: Pokercoaching, Assassinato coaching.. If you want to improve fast you should join a training site. Most of them offer a free trial for a week or so. Discussing hands and being a member of a community should also help you a lot. Good luck.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best way to progress quickly in poker is to watch strategic videos and to inspire you for your game. There are free and paid courses that allow you to gain time in your evolution. In poker you have to train continuously to stay on top of your game. Of course you have to play several hundred hands a day at least to learn how to handle all situations. I wish you good luck in your learning and for your next games.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
My recommendations are as follows:
To start, try to play only in freerolls and only with strong cards. By playing freerolls you can gain experience and increase your bankroll.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the best way to learn how to play poker is playing practice (freerolls, playing at microlimits). And one of the important moments in the study of poker is the self - analysis of your game and strategy.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks for posting.

Cardschat is a good community with solid advice. Being specific about your needs is very important. Here is a list of questions to help you better refine your request. Try to include some of this information in your next request for help. You can also make many posts here so feel free to ask about individual concepts.

What do you play? NL? Stud? PLO? PLO8
If NL is it Freeroll tournaments or Micro cash?
How new to poker are you?
What do you need to improve? Bet sizing? Player Reads? Positional hand ranges? Tilt?
What poker books have you read?
What training sites do you frequent? Do you know how to find poker training sites?
Youtube is full of poker videos. Ask us which would benefit you after you tell us what level of player you are.
What threads on cardschat are you following? Do you have a question about a thread then post that question as your thread.

My intention is to point you onto a learning path. Being specific about your needs is the first step.

Hope this helps

:):)

P

polarized

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
a really good place to start learning would be watching some twitch streamers. that is also the place i got started. there are also plenty of free you tube content out these days.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best way to learn anything is Feynman technique

I use this by screen recording game and sharing my thoughts aloud. Afterwards, I do some hand analysis by watching those screen recorded videos. I keep a poker blog. I write on a poker forum. I try to teach poker as much as possible. I can say this really work.
And of course, focus sessions (just google it) once a week.

T

tayday79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can watch the pros on youtube. thats how i learn alot

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion the way you get better at playing poker is to play more poker. Just like in all things that you do, the more you do it the better you should become.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think watching live streams of poker players helps to improve

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Read books and if you can, follow the poker school training sessions from poker stars, they explain really good poker playing for beginners and start raising the level once you complete each training. They also give you bonuses so you can put in practice what you learn at poker stars App, and if you are good you can start making some money right away :D

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Play as much poker as possible, but without fanaticism, and experience will come to you, I learn from my mistakes

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to develop your game work hard on it watch others play and make mistakes from the side it is very clear I hope you will succeed.

D

Dutchman54

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Read and Practice

Play a lot of low-stakes games.
Read everything you can: Harrington, Negreanu, Sklansky, Jonathan Little, Gus Hansen's "Every Hand Revealed", etc.
Watch YouTube videos (ideally not just one-hand videos but ones that show more of a tournament playing out) and look for how the pros handle different situations.
You might consider Negreanu and Ivey's Masterclass sessions (probably more for mid-level players than beginners)
AdvancedPokerTraining.com is a good site for rapid practice, and it gives you insights into your leaks and sets up practice sessions for them.

Good luck!