How to act when a freeroll tournament gets close to the bubble?

D

DaviFN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone!

I was playing a freeroll yesterday and it got close to the bubble, but I lost (didn't manage to get ITM). I began playing kind of loose because most people tend to tighten up in the bubble stage, but it did not work out. How is it that one has to ideally play in the bubble, then?

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it is a good opportunity to get the chips to the shy and shortstack players, well there is also to avoid facing another player who is superior in chips

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a big stack, you have to make as much pressure as you can. If you're short just make a correct push or fold.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do well until I get close to the bubble, then if I have a lot of chips I get too many semi bad beats, you know hands that you would normally go all in but at this point should not. But I do and loose. Or if I have a medium stack and start to play tight, I start getting really bad, unplayable cards and I loose my stack to the blinds. Have not figured what the best play is yet.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer is: tight if you can.Especially if you play freerolls that have regular time.One thing is playing all-in when you are at 5bb but completely different when you have big enough stack to be in the money.Why in the world would you then play loose and risk to lose time playing for nothing?To be kind to other players?Thank you we appreciate it.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually I tighten up around the bubble (like most players do), but occasionally, I'll vary with some looser plays if the situation calls for it. You can sometimes exploit others playing nitty around the bubble, but I would only exploit this in select spots: otherwise we are too loose and vulnerable ourselves.

It also depends on how much you want to make it into the bubble. If the prize is that much of an incentive for you, then by all means tighten up, but if the "real prizes" are at the top of that payout structure, then it may be worth risking to bust outside of the bubble to accumulate more chips to propel you towards the final table/winning the event. Being near the bubble can be a great time to earn chips to make a run at the end if the situation is there and you are keen to pick up on it.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone!

I was playing a freeroll yesterday and it got close to the bubble, but I lost (didn't manage to get ITM). I began playing kind of loose because most people tend to tighten up in the bubble stage, but it did not work out. How is it that one has to ideally play in the bubble, then?

Close to the bubble I don't think of loose or tight. I think of slow and cautious. You're correct that some players play tighter as the bubble approaches but that doesn't mean you can start getting loose and aggressive and run them over. Players with top hands at this stage often don't give away their strength with a raise or re-raise. They are being cautious because they know that even a premium hand go become garbage after the flop. They aren't willing to make a move till after the flop. If you mistake their play for weakness and in turn over play your hand you can quickly find yourself in trouble.

Slow down your play...put more thought into what is happening at the table. When a medium stack limps in and you have position sure, make that 3 bet. You might get a fold and the blinds and antes. If your opponent calls, however, slow down and play with caution.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I use time management near the bubble. You will notice fewer hands played. This gives you a chance to get in the money before blinds are so high that you can lose just blinding out.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the bubble period, it is usually rare to have a fairly large stack, before you play a hand, remember that you may have to bet all three streets including all in on the river, so be careful not to waste your chips with mediocre hands. Make the most of your position and watch your opponents play. On the bubble, psychology is more important than the cards that You have in your hands.:)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must play calmly without taking any risks. Sometimes there are players at the table for whom prizes do not matter. They will put all in preflop and not let you play. The main thing is not to be emotional in such moments.