Have you often encountered the urge to go allin?

gillbates21

gillbates21

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
situation: you have had to fold bad cards for a while now (for example 20 last hands), then after the drought, you are dealt Ace with 8 or lower kicker (or some other hand just outside of your normal range). these seem good enough cards to continue...
do you have a urge to go allin?
do you give up and stick to your usual range?
is position the splitting factor?

maybe someone can describe their preference choice for this kind of situations?

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the hardest part of poker (for me anyway) is maintaining discipline. It’s hard with hold’em in particular because the board will never be different based on your or your opponent’s actions like it is in stud for example. You have to sit there and look at what would have been a flopped full house if you had just limped with 9,5, and it can be excruciating watching some donkey take down a monster pot with J,6 because they hit lucky. It can make you start to question your preflop range which leads to looser play, which creates leaks, which gets you felted.

So yeah, the urge is there, and it’s gotten me in trouble. I don’t feel my discipline failing, it creeps on me. I’ll just suddenly notice something is off. It’s usually a “what am I even doing in this hand?” moment. Most of the time the realization is enough to snap me back to my A game, but when it isn’t, I ask for a table change and look at it as a fresh start. That usually works.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have any desire to play bad hands,,,and folding 20 times isn't a good reason to either.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't have any desire to play bad hands,,,and folding 20 times isn't a good reason to either.[/QUOT

Yeah me too. Folding is part of the game as well as bluffing too
rgds

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just stick to your comfort zone (your preferred range). If you are in a cash game, then it almost costs you nothing to fold that much, as blinds don't go up.
In tournaments, being dealt bad hands that you need to fold for so long can be really hurtful.
That being said, opening with Ax, but only from some late position, can be quite OK as an attempt to steal blinds, not as a shove hand cause if you get called, you are not in a good shape.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, I never had such a desire. I'm always waiting for good hands or a good moment to bluff !!!

J

jekan85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes there is such a desire when you get tired of a bad card

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
almost every time i lose my cool. maintaining discipline is very hard, the key is that you should play ur own game with no exceptions - and i should take my own advice :)

D

Drogba_Legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
situation: you have had to fold bad cards for a while now (for example 20 last hands), then after the drought, you are dealt Ace with 8 or lower kicker (or some other hand just outside of your normal range). these seem good enough cards to continue...

It depends on many factors, not only position. Quantity of players in the game is huge factor for me. If there are four players go all in, I don't think I'll go all in too :laugh:. If there is one player left, maybe I'll do it, especially if I have short stack.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's annoying not picking up hands but as someone said folding is part of the game and I get that after folding for hours suddenly K10o looks like the nuts but stick to your game plan and don't start opening wider just because it's the first hand in a while higher than ten high

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
First of all, it depends on the position at the table. Second, it depends on my opponents. Thirdly, it depends on the type of tournament I play. I always try to approach individually each of my decisions.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It harder live cause I don’t have the patent for slow game. Online can wait and get my fair share of playable hands

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's missing something important : you're on heads up? You're at the beginning of tournament? Clearly it's not the same situation, depends on which stage you are, and not because of dead cards.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind going allin if I am a head.

gillbates21

gillbates21

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
It's missing something important : you're on heads up? You're at the beginning of tournament? Clearly it's not the same situation, depends on which stage you are, and not because of dead cards.

imho this situation does not apply to headsup.

as you have difficulties with generalization, lets say it is level 4 of a MTT, 9 players at the table. 2 full rounds od dead cards and then you have A7o. would you have the urge to go allin?

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still waiting for a good card, unless of course my stack has a size less than 8bb.

gillbates21

gillbates21

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Hello.
First of all, it depends on the position at the table. Second, it depends on my opponents. Thirdly, it depends on the type of tournament I play. I always try to approach individually each of my decisions.
ofcourse there are dependences, but try to imagine

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This desire visits me constantly when a good hand does not go for a long time, but I try to keep myself in hand and not risk everything.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Yes but the ace is do. Figure a forty to sixty percent loss to win ratio. Well you like to cheat that set up. It happens to often. Sixty percent loss. If you can shake it and its been a while its a sixty percent win.

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes there are situations when you not only want to go all-in, but you just have to do it with a weak hand! so your situation A8 and below is still very good))

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
some days the cards will just hate you but if you have played enough you realize its normal part of it.

D

domfudao

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A8o for me is fold in initial positions

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like to go all in, I'd better play. Ah and so AA AK AQ sometimes A10 and from 88, 99, 1010 and so on.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This is a situational question. First of all, I cannot remember ever folding 20 hands in a row. Not because I am a loose player, I actually play fairly conservative. But, you have to look at the entire situation. Are you in a cash game or tourney, live or online, whats your position, what has happened before you, how are the other players playing, how many other players are there...and on and on and on for the next 20 lines. I would rarely push unless I felt that was the right play at the moment. I was actually in a freeroll on ACR just tonight and got down to heads up at the final table. I had A8s on the button and raised...BB called...flop came with an ace..short version is he had AK and I lost that hand.

My best advice is to always consider all the factors when playing any hand and try to make tge best decision every time. If that means folding 20 or more hands in a row (hopefully never in a tournament)...then that's what you do,