Hands Range

P

PedroFXD95

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone can explain me how can I define the hands range?

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll assume you mean your opponent's hand range.

Pre Flop you will have to make some assumptions based upon what you've viewed previously. If someone is betting every time then they will have a wider range of hands. Conversely if someone has sat around folding for hours and randomly bet you should assume a very small range of great cards.

Also, typically speaking a massive bet in early position tells of a big hand because they clearly don't care what the people behind them have but a large bet by a late position player could be anything.

I can't draw a chart on here but if a tight early position player bets heavily assume a monster. On the other side, if a loose late position player bets it could be anything. The grey area in between comes down to your skill level in reading opponents.

Post flop you should consider everything previously stated but then also consider that people are way more likely to be playing an Ace than a King, a King than a Queen, a Queen than a Jack and so on.

If a board comes out A-J-10 in a raised pot with multiple people and no one hit at least a pair it's a miracle.

Lastly, and this is a side note, when you hear someone say ... I put you on Jack - 3 or something of the like just know they are a donk. A good player will put you on Jack with a mediocre kicker. No one in the history of the universe can read opponents well enough to know exactly what their crappy second card is. These people believe in things like poker gods, and lucky pendants. They should be exploited as much as possible.

P

PedroFXD95

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You open my mind!! Thanks!! I playing poker from years, but I just start the study of theory now..

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You open my mind!! Thanks!! I playing poker from years, but I just start the study of theory now..

Thanks man! I'm 20 years in and I study poker all the time. There are so many small nuances to it that it's amazing. Coming to sites like these are invaluable. Study every website you can find. Some will give you better advice than others. I still remember a few specific things from Super System and Phil Hellmuth's first book that I use daily. Meanwhile some advice from even those 2 greats is not always applicable to your game. Just keep plugging along and study everything. Good luck!

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great answer ! Made it very clear, knowing how to rank the opponent's ranges is a big step in poker. For those who are starting it is always good to play with a smaller range, and as you improve, open your range to give you more freedom at the tables ...

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll assume you mean your opponent's hand range.

Pre Flop you will have to make some assumptions based upon what you've viewed previously. If someone is betting every time then they will have a wider range of hands. Conversely if someone has sat around folding for hours and randomly bet you should assume a very small range of great cards.

Also, typically speaking a massive bet in early position tells of a big hand because they clearly don't care what the people behind them have but a large bet by a late position player could be anything.

I can't draw a chart on here but if a tight early position player bets heavily assume a monster. On the other side, if a loose late position player bets it could be anything. The grey area in between comes down to your skill level in reading opponents.

Post flop you should consider everything previously stated but then also consider that people are way more likely to be playing an Ace than a King, a King than a Queen, a Queen than a Jack and so on.

If a board comes out A-J-10 in a raised pot with multiple people and no one hit at least a pair it's a miracle.

Lastly, and this is a side note, when you hear someone say ... I put you on Jack - 3 or something of the like just know they are a donk. A good player will put you on Jack with a mediocre kicker. No one in the history of the universe can read opponents well enough to know exactly what their crappy second card is. These people believe in things like poker gods, and lucky pendants. They should be exploited as much as possible.

You explained very crystal clear, congratulations:):)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands