Bet timing

M

Mattyice1478

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people take 20+ seconds to make a move most often. Others will bet or check within 3 seconds. Are there any advantages of one over the other?

J

Joonnn1212

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With fast bet timing, you will be playing more hands, which is a good thing if you have an edge over your opponents. Taking longer to bet of course will of course give you more time to think about your decision, which can help you make better decisions. Some will try to use timing tells, meaning assigning strength or weakness to the amount of time someone takes to bet, but I usually do not read into timing as much because it can be very random in my opinion.

M

Mattyice1478

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With fast bet timing, you will be playing more hands, which is a good thing if you have an edge over your opponents. Taking longer to bet of course will of course give you more time to think about your decision, which can help you make better decisions. Some will try to use timing tells, meaning assigning strength or weakness to the amount of time someone takes to bet, but I usually do not read into timing as much because it can be very random in my opinion.
I notice some people will come over the top if you lead out very quickly. Ill fire out quickly sometimes to try to get somebody to think Im bluffing

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think this is not important. The time used does not actually affect the result.
In my opinion, it depends on the temperament of the player.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The trick is to read your opponent, see if the timing has anything to do with the strength/weakness of the hand their holding.
Online it's about all you get, apart from the chips they put in the pot.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I will speak for myself , sometimes I multitable so I need some extra seconds in order to take the decision , other times when the spot is marginal I look at my HUD.

Some other times I instantly check when I am out of position in order to misinform my opponent, I do it or with total air or with a strong hand. Finally when I want to bet for value or fire a bluff I take my time simply because I want to make my opponent rethink his action.Don't forget that for many online players the time to act is the only read, except of course for the size of the bets.

The bad habit I must stop is to snap call some river bets because I think I have them beat. Some tighter folds are needed by me!

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think many players use the time limit in an attempt to reach the minimum prize pool and then risk more.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't make an action quickly. When inside a future action and you hesitate you are showing your strength/weakness and hence they will range you very accurately.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think there is no advantage. Sometimes there are situations that should be well thought out, in such cases, I can also use extra time.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that a quick bet without waiting so long makes the rival believe that we have a strong hand and that we were waiting for his bet. If we are making a bleff I think we can be favored.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many top players believe there are timing tells. Often times I try to vary my action so I’m not giving off any timing reads.