18-22 BBs UTG, Limp-Min Raise or Fold?

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have 88-JJ UTG with 18-22 BBs do you limp, min raise or push? This is a situation I run into in tournaments and don't really have a good idea of the default play.

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends how far you are til that bubble bursts...

You probably have some time to wait for another hand but I'd push. I don't like min raising to take the blinds because it's too easy for people to find the guts to come over the top when you look weak.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only jam in this spot if I had pocket 10s or better

Also depends on how many more players until the bubble

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would jam 88-99 and min raise Tens and Jacks to get some action.

lucas24

lucas24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel the same as you, I can not play those middle pairs in early position. Depends on the speed tournament, with 18-22 UTG would a rise x3,5 willing to go all in against a 3bet. If only limpers, I look at the flop and if we do not connect set and no we are fortunate not to leave the overcards, discard your hand if there are several limpers and if there is only one limper assessed the situation.

Greetings.

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on you opponents, and how big the pot is what you can steal. In the early game never push. Maybe in mid or late game

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
My style of play is raise 3x BB in position and limp in early

Hit the flop and shove in or miss the flop than lay down.
It’s only best played when you hit a set.

M

matiorzi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early stage of tournament I'd never fold, i might shove 88 or 99 (depends on the table) but Id rather raise TT and JJ. To be honest its hard to answer question like this, you should say more precisly, what tournament? Which phase? How deep are players? Etc.

X

XxDeckers

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always analyze the stacks of my opponents, doing this analysis to know if I will be more profitable doing a 3bet / fold or going from all in

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
middle pair for me its limping in. if i am on blinds probably i will raise

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a tricky spot to be in. If I'm in the BB with 88 then I look to re-steal by shoving against MP or LP raisers. UTG is tougher. If I'm at a tight table, I'd probably shove. At a loose table, I might put in a standard 2.5BB - 3BB raise hoping to either hit a set or get heads up with a favorable flop.

C

crimsonshroud88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd consider limping only 77 if ever. The rest is an easy open raise at this stack depth.
This spot can become even more tricky if you consider what to do with AJo, KQo, A9s, JTs, QJs.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tell you my experience: I was in a tournament in utg, with approximately 15 bb. My hand: Q-Q. I go all in, he pays me mp2 (he was 7-7) on the flop, mp2 gets his set. (I'm out of the tournament)
If I had 8-8 or + in utg, with that amount of chips I would raise min to 2.25-2.75. If they raise me again, I am in a fold / all in situation. This depends on the type of opponent that I face; if it is aggressive, conservative and how many active players are in the hand.
Greeting!

Folding in Poker