D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I just got crushed in the following hand:

9Player NLHE tourney, 25/50, deep stack (10k)

Hero: QcQd (9500)
Villain: 2s2h (14000, chiplead)

Preflop: Hero bets 3BB (150), everyone folds except villain calling.

Flop: 7h2cKs
Pot: 375
Hero: raise potsize (375)
Villain: calls

Turn: Kd
Pot: 1125
Hero: raise to 3x potsize (3375)
Villain: re-raise to 5x potsize (5625)
Hero: calls

River: blank card (don't remember it)
Pot: 12375
Hero: goes all-in (3350)

Turns out villain had 22 as mentioned above. My way of thinking was the following: since I raised 3BB, I wanted to bluff having first a King pair on the flop, and then a king set on the turn. I could see that villain took an awkward amount of time re-raising on the turn. In my opinion, it was likely for me to have a set of kings. Why did he re-raise with a set of deuces? Thanks a lot for your feedback on the way this game was played.

Still trying to think what I could have done better... :confused:

Cheers

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing he got you form the flop.
Maybe,just maybe if youy raise i dont know 100 bb on preflop,or maybe go all in and he fold.
But after preflop he is winner and that's his tactics.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Turns out villain had 22 as mentioned above. My way of thinking was the following: since I raised 3BB, I wanted to bluff having first a King pair on the flop, and then a king set on the turn. I could see that villain took an awkward amount of time re-raising on the turn. In my opinion, it was likely for me to have a set of kings. Why did he re-raise with a set of deuces? Thanks a lot for your feedback on the way this game was played.

Cheers
There was no reason to 3x overbet the turn, especially if you're trying to represent a K in your range. It just makes no sense. Villain raised with a boat because you committed so much with an overbet on the turn that they could've possibly gotten you put in the rest of your stack. And you did on the river.

You lost 190 BBs by overplaying QQ against an opponent that is calling down and 3betting your overbet on the turn. You over committed yourself and couldn't let it go. Nothing wrong with representing a K, but you could have done it without putting 190 BBs at risk. You could have played with more pot control as well.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing he got you form the flop.
Maybe,just maybe if youy raise i dont know 100 bb on preflop,or maybe go all in and he fold.
But after preflop he is winner and that's his tactics.
Why would you open raise 100 BBs or open jam 190 BBs with QQ preflop? That makes absolutely no sense.

Please explain your reasoning.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The big issue with this hand is your bet sizing. You have to remember that there are two outcomes on every street in poker which are the villain has me beat or he does not have me beat (I will exclude the times you have the same hand or a tie occurs to make my point). On the flop we have a strong hand but it is not top pair. Why are you betting pot here? You either are way ahead of him since villain has air or a single pair that is not a king or you are way behind now since villain has a king, two pair or a set (discarding the chances villain holds aces because they probably would have re-raised pre). So if they are way behind do we want them to fold as they likely will with air to a pot sized bet? Of course not we want them to hang around, draw thin, and we keep betting for value on later streets. If they are way ahead, do we want to be bloating the pot with a pot sized bet? The answer of course is no there as well so your bet needs to be much smaller so you get value from the crap he calls with and you lose less when you are beat.

The turn bet is honestly disgustingly terrible. You are making a bet villain will only call when he is beating you and is folding the rest. It is a negative expectation bet as you can only lose from it. You profit nothing from him folding to you. Again you need to bet small (35-50% of the pot) and keep his crying calls in play and also you will lose less when you are beat. Over betting the pot 3x is just bad, dont ever do it unless you have the nuts and you really know the villain is terrible and will call any bet (does not happen as much as you think).

Bet sizing is the key take away on this hand. Realize you want worse hands to call you so you can get value and not make large bets that will only get called when the villain is ahead. They will draw out on you sometimes and you have to live with that but you need to extract value from your good hands while also limiting risk.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop bet 2/3 pot, as you can certainly represent AK. There is rarely ever a reason to bet the entire pot. Check/call the turn. This is for pot control, and to keep around the hands you have crushed while protecting yourself from a hand that has you crushed. Betting 3x the pot on the turn is very very risky. I would never ever do that unless I had the nuts and I knew my opponent would make a dumb call with weaker holdings.
Check on the river and re-evaluate the hand. Against an unknown player I fold here. If I know villain bluffs often, I’ll fancy a call.
Playing it the way I suggest, you can still get to showdown with your QQ, but you don’t have to risk all your chips with just a pair of queens. You’ll lose a small-ish pot and give yourself a chance to remain in the tournament.

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Cheers

I would check the turn and if the villain made a small bet i would call otherwise it was a fold
He catched your bluff because he had a full house and can beat your set of kings

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would check the turn and if the villain made a small bet i would call otherwise it was a fold
He catched your bluff because he had a full house and can beat your set of kings

True!! Why didn't see the fullhouse? Guess i couldn't see the forest for the trees there...

Thanks a lot!:)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You played aggresively with a top pair and your villain played more aggresively, which means he had something more than a pair. When you saw villain reraising I think it was time to fold.

Derifish17

Derifish17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When u call with a pair hoping to hit a set then hit it on the flop u feel good then even if your trying to rep a K he's already made his hand and then wen he boats up on the turn he's always gonna get all his chips in the middle so it was unfortunate he got there otherwise u could of got him to fold trips but never a full house. Unlucky mate

Derifish17

Derifish17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played aggresively with a top pair and your villain played more aggresively, which means he had something more than a pair. When you saw villain reraising I think it was time to fold.
Not many people fold trips on the flop

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
True!! Why didn't see the fullhouse? Guess i couldn't see the forest for the trees there...

Thanks a lot!:)

recognizing a good hand like Full house depends on what kind of opponent you are playing against, could your opponent be that aggressive without full nuts?
most of low stake players won't play Full house as a trap and you could recognize that type of play easily

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just a bad beat be careful and try to stay on a tournament more...don't risky all your stack only for a pair of QQ stay safe.:)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

Cheers

You can check the flop, or the turn, many chances.

Yes you have QQ, but the board didn't come great for you, there is no need to just get all the chips in.

Here is some videos on how to plan out a poker hand which I think you'll find helpful :)

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A

antoniogtp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sets in a tournament

It is really hard to make your opponent fold a set on such dry board. The only hand that beats him is a higher set and it would be a bad beat when that happens. I would say more than 95% of your opponents will always play bottom set agressively in a tournament especially in a dry board and heads up pot. Your opponent would never put you on kings with two kings on the community cards. You should have played more cautiously your queens and play more conservatively with two kings on board... Your preflop raise and cont bet on flop are good plays but on the turn you played too agressively with queens on kk2x turn...

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Preflop is fine.
With QQ and a K on the flop, you want to slow down. You can check/call, or make a small C-bet. I would favor a small C-bet of maybe 100 on this flop. If villain has A high or better, they will call. Less, they fold.
Turn is a check and probably a call.

Any time villain starts acting aggressively, you get out. There is no reason to bet all your chips on second pair.

2020AJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
couldn't do much differant, exept to fold when he kept beting and raising .. if you don't have the best hand, the othe player might!!

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When he called you’re flop bet what kind of range did you have him on? He’s folding a ton of hands on that dry flop. He’s calling with Ks or sets. You should’ve checked/called the turn or folded to his reraise.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands