$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Value bet the river?

1dkp0k3r

1dkp0k3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
8 handed, 2nd level 20/40 blinds
Folds around to SB
SB (34 BB) completes
BB HERO (34 BB) :ac4: :5h4: raise to 3.5 BB (140)

SB Calls
Pot 7 BB (280)

FLOP
:qh4: :3c4: :2h4:

SB checks
I bet 1/2 pot (7 BB, 140)
SB calls
Pot 21 BB (560)

TURN
:5d4:

SB checks
BB Checks

RIVER
:2c4:

SB Checks
BB ?

=====================
Blind versus blind, I raised preflop for value with A high. Flop IMO is better for my range, when SB checks, I bet with A high and a gut shot, back door Hearts are not in my thinking process here as the 5 is relatively low, SB calls.

Turn card gives me a pair of 5 now. SB checks, I decide to check behind for pot control. I need to be able to check back here sometimes with stronger hands (AQ, KQ, QQ, AA, KK, A4) even strong draws. Yes, I may be giving flush draws a chance to hit, but I could face a check raise here, and would have to fold, or I am way ahead or way behind. No reason to bet as I now have show down value.

River looks like a complete brick. SB checks to me, do I bet for value? How much? What hand can call me here?

I will post what I did and why tomorrow...

T

TDTODDY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What can he call with? Qx, small pair larger than 5s, or a two. Check it down and save the last bet.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so firstly i don't think you raised preflop for value, A5 is never a value hand. Your raise might still be ok but you don't want action you want folds.
Now on flop.. i don't know your oponent but seems like check would have been the best option (If You raise pre and want folds and don't get them You are done You don't need to put anymore money in the pot) he might have KQ QJ and just go with it.
Now the last actually important part of the hand is the turn.. since you played like that.. no.. you don't have showdown value with 5s. He might have 66-JJ and you are missing the oportunity to get him to fold it.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im by no means someone to get pro advice. But I would check it down. Since its a freeroll and I believe there is too much nonsense play. Value betting the river? If he calls then whatever he have beats you. You win only if he calls with 3 or nothing. Of course its what reads you have on this opponent. Is he a calling station who calls with nothing? If he calls a river bet with just Ace or King high then go for it.

C

clyde86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i feel like value betting the river there makes ur opponent think you're weak....like "he HAD to bet to take the hand" which may set him up to bluff

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would check behind and hope I have the best hand. You are not beating mutch.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably bet turn and check back river.

Bet to target draws (which call turn but fold river when they miss) and 3's and worse 5's... then take a free showdown... fold to a raise.

Good luck to you!

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably bet the turn and check river here.

I might even check this flop to keep the pot small.

1dkp0k3r

1dkp0k3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do have some history with this specific player. I have seen him call down with hands as weak as K high and bottom pair, the hands that a value bet would target. The way that I played the hand, it looks like I have A high, possibly missed flush draw. I want to get called by A high, K high, even a pair of 2's here. I bet 7.5 BB, 300 into 560, get called and win the pot.

Raising A high in a blind versus blind situation IS raising for value. If he had a better hand he would have raised from the SB, or limp 3 bet me preflop.

Zyuks

Zyuks

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You win only if he calls with 2or nothing

1dkp0k3r

1dkp0k3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And i forgot to add, he could have 54 or 65 here, check calling the flop with a straight draw, turning a pair of 5's. So he could be calling with 2 pair, Q kicker, and I have 2 pair, A kicker