$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Was my shove for steal a good attempt?

Pokergambler11

Pokergambler11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just moved to this table so I have no information on the guy, the stack sizes around his on previous tables were tight. I KNOW I can't say this guy is like everyone else but I was just having a rough guess, alot of people would limp fold if shoved on PF. Also with this guys stack size, for him to call I would think he would want good cards because my stack will half his if I won. The flop did give me a 50% chance of winning, so I had a little hope haha. Also one question, in these free rolls I tend to make it around top 10%, so in a money tournament I would cash, should I deposit and give it a try?

Seat 1: MLEKO$ 5km (3329 in chips)
Seat 2: 1.Galka_7 (24349 in chips)
Seat 3: Trekboer (7185 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 4: zOMAR.PS (35630 in chips)
Seat 5: Fido29666 (13621 in chips)
Seat 6: Pavlevi4 (10294 in chips)
Seat 7: kemal_zay4ik (8146 in chips)
Seat 8: JDAmotoX (6640 in chips)
Seat 9: lolpokerjoker (7305 in chips)
MLEKO$ 5km: posts the ante 50
1.Galka_7: posts the ante 50
Trekboer: posts the ante 50
zOMAR.PS: posts the ante 50
Fido29666: posts the ante 50
Pavlevi4: posts the ante 50
kemal_zay4ik: posts the ante 50
JDAmotoX: posts the ante 50
lolpokerjoker: posts the ante 50
MLEKO$ 5km: posts small blind 250
1.Galka_7: posts big blind 500
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JDAmotoX [4s 8s]
Trekboer: folds
zOMAR.PS: folds
Fido29666: calls 500
Pavlevi4: folds
kemal_zay4ik: folds
JDAmotoX: raises 6090 to 6590 and is all-in
lolpokerjoker: folds
MLEKO$ 5km: folds
1.Galka_7: folds
Fido29666: calls 6090
*** FLOP *** [9c Js 7s]
*** TURN *** [9c Js 7s] [2h]
*** RIVER *** [9c Js 7s 2h] [5h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Fido29666: shows [Kd 8d] (high card King)
JDAmotoX: shows [4s 8s] (high card Jack)
Fido29666 collected 14380 from pot
JDAmotoX finished the tournament in 535th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 14380 | Rake 0
Board [9c Js 7s 2h 5h]
Seat 1: MLEKO$ 5km (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: 1.Galka_7 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: Trekboer folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: zOMAR.PS folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Fido29666 showed [Kd 8d] and won (14380) with high card King
Seat 6: Pavlevi4 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: kemal_zay4ik folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: JDAmotoX showed [4s 8s] and lost with high card Jack
Seat 9: lolpokerjoker (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should always play real money even if its just a few dollars to get a feel for it.
freerolls are quite a bit different from real money tourneys, not just on others play but yours as well. so i don't think comparing the two will work. best of luck to ya and let us know if you do give real money a shot

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should not have gone all in and have waited for a better hand. You still had 12 BB, so there is still time to get a better hand, even with ante being in play.
84s is not a good hand at all and there are many better hands.
My guess is that you thought that because they are suited, it is a good hand to play being a short stack, but suited cards are only about 2% better than not suited cards, so not that much of a difference.
Also, you where the CO, so that means still 3 people to act after you, that you didn't get any information from. On top of that the limper could also call you (what he did) and if any of those four would call, you would almost always be behind.
In freerolls, I have found that people that just limp, will usually also call a big raise pre flop. They always want to see a flop, preferably as cheap as possible, but if someone raises, they still want to see that flop.

Reaching the top 10% in freerolls is not a reference for tournaments with a buy in. So much people go all in with trash one of the first hands, so after 5 minutes a big amount of people has disappeared already. You don't have this in normal tournaments, so it's the same as if there would be 75% or less people in the freeroll, compared with 100% in a normal tournament.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't steal the blinds if someone calls before you in the freeroll, especially when you have trash hands. It will be always -EV because many people love to call with light range in these games..

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This shove is atrocious with 84s and the board runout is irrelevant. Considering you had no reads on the limper, that should only tighten up your shove range here and you do not need to force it on 13bbs.

Personally I'm ripping over 22+ A5s+ A8o+ KTs+ KJo+ QJs+, readless in this spot.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also one question, in these free rolls I tend to make it around top 10%, so in a money tournament I would cash, should I deposit and give it a try?
If you are considering depositing because you cash in freerolls often, you are not thinking correctly. The competition in freerolls does not even compare to the competition in a real money tournament. How often you cash in a tournament is irrelevant. Long term, ROI % is what matters.

In any freeroll or micro MTT, you should be playing on the tighter side fwiw.

Last edited:
Pokergambler11

Pokergambler11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should always play real money even if its just a few dollars to get a feel for it.
Freerolls are quite a bit different from real money tourneys, not just on others play but yours as well. so i don't think comparing the two will work. best of luck to ya and let us know if you do give real money a shot

I gave real money a shot today and got 5/90 in an SnG. I had a 20,000 chip lead at one point, than two suck outs crippled me and put me in short stack :/ I tried Small Ball and it worked so perfectly though...

jgreenman18

jgreenman18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well unlikely many people I believe there is merit to playing freerolls along with playing for cash games as well. Although in a freeroll you must adjust to the looser opponents and weaker fish. To adjust to this play tighter and get value for all your big hands raising every street even often overbetting the pot and many fish will continue with draws. This is a good way to obtain a massive stack in a freeroll and you should only shove with 99+ or a9s+ or ajo and just wait for one of these hands and 90% of the time some dumb fish will call you and you will be in a great position to double up. Just remember to shift gears when you double up and always analyze table dynamics.

That shoving range is 12-15 obviously you must become looser if a blind increase is daunting or you fall lower in chip count dont be scared either to raise 3x and if they shove when you do this with a weaker side you can still get away and look for a better opportunity or try the stop and go move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Tournament poker is still +ev (if this post is any indicator of the thought process of entrants in them).

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournament poker is still +ev (if this post is any indicator of the thought process of entrants in them).

I 100% agree with you even though it can be frustrating at times

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in or has been at those tables.playing freerolls. At that point where any player can win if you have a good positive out look. But this is something you have on your side And this is something I take very serious. and I am wishing many players would find something that makes that light come on any players, And the first thing that is said is When that light comes on for even an hour. most players will say that when that light come on the first time, it has been talked about in every place you could believe And many will never have the chance to get that experience and I have to say its a thing I would keep . This is what happened when I had it done on me. I said when that was over OMG the light really comes on and It has done something that changed something inside of me. Well I feel human again, and I plan to go help him or anyone else that needs a helping hand, and you all know what. I believe the light will be with me a long time. and I believe the "Ho Ho and OMG" is a naterial can even understand what we done in class the the other.

"

P

ParanormGhost

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well the part with the luck in freerols happens to me too..but when i sign for a buy-in tourney it s like the luck i have in freerols is nowere to be found

blackdevil724

blackdevil724

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not the same...10% in freerols, espcialy with lot off enties is about 25% on 5$ tournament..in freerolls a lot of players go all in in first 10 hads with any decent 2 cards to bust, or double up...real play begins in about 30% to go..so if you have patience you will get into 30% just folding...you can try low buyin tournanents for about 1$..also you can deposit and try to play 4-5$ tournaments to see where your game realy is...about a hand, any steal on freeroll is a big risk..

fadisn

fadisn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well the part with the luck in freerols happens to me too..but when i sign for a buy-in tourney it s like the luck i have in freerols is nowere to be found

Totally agree, in PS my luck in freerolls change dramatically on paid tournaments !
Specially in the start !:mad: I get the best hand even f folded, after few minutes, all gets bad !