$Freeroll NLHE MTT: River Call with Jacks on Ace High Board?

rocketbox

rocketbox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand: J♣ 9♣ in SB
PreFlop: Folds to HJ who sits with about 7K+ raises 2BB to 120

Flop: J 3♦ 8♣
I Check. BB Checks. HJ Checks.
Turn: A
I Check. BB Checks. HJ Bets.
I Call. BB Folds.
River: 6♠
I Check. HJ Shoves.

I had the effective stack. On the river I had 1,550. Villain in HJ had 6K+. A river shove to V was a quarter of their stack. The pot was about 1K at that point. If I work it out backwards, the turn bet was pot sized, and V raised 2x from HJ PreFlop. 30/60 blinds. So, 360 going into the flop. I check top pair on the flop because I anticipate a c-bet from HJ. If he would c-bet, I could check/raise with top pair to put pressure on a floating AQ, AK, KQ; and/or to induce a shove from a flush draw. I’d welcome either, but not both.

It checked around on the flop. The A fell on the turn. What an interesting card. It was my belief that if someone had a flush draw on the flop, they’d have bet it. In my opinion, HJ would’ve bet bigger PF if they’d had a big ace. I was not convinced that my pair of jacks was beat at this point, and I’d suspect that more flush draws would be betting this card than aces would. So I checked, with the intention of calling. BB checks. HJ bets pot 360. I think momentarily and call. If BB shoves over the top, I can dip out. BB folds.

We’re heads up to a river of [6s] . This does nothing for the drawing hands. The board is J 3♦ 8♣ A♦ 6♠ . If I was beat on the turn, I was beat on the river, but if I was good on the turn, then I'd be good on the river. I check and V over-shoves, putting me all in.

I tanked for like an hour (read as "30 seconds"). In my head, I could just not figure how an ace would bet this board for value. The only hand calling would be a flush. What Ace bets that board??? Any Ace would check behind to recognize their value for cheap. Any ace stupid enough to jam that river would get snapped off by a flush of any size. No ace would bet this river for value.

But there are a lot of missed draws and airballs that V could be holding. Any broadway draw, all the 9T’s, and the missed 1 diamonds.

This was a big decision for me. His story didn’t add up quite right and I felt strongly that my pair of Jacks was good. So I called.

Do you want to know what V turned over?

Was I crazy to make the river call? Was I crazy to make the turn call?
I think that if I’d jammed the river, I’d get a fold.

Last edited:
Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could see him holding 83off or anything. I certainly like a raise on the flop personally. I dont find his minraise strong preflop. but please do tell.