$Freeroll NLHE MTT: AQo vs JTo poorly played on the flop

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I really played this hand badly on the flop ... but I checked because it was a dry board and if I bet I would run, the only thing that would hinder me in this check was the drill ... and it is not that it hit ... The ps is not easy ... this shuffling is good huh!

pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - 20/40 - 6 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

wampese (UTG): 2,604 (65 bb)
cardosocarai 1 (MP): 251 (6 bb)
sandracri192 (CO): 3,428 (86 bb)
jr_junim (BU): 2,415 (60 bb)
omcastanho (SB): 5,315 (133 bb)
1Milhão$emNada (BB): 2,946 (74 bb)

Pre-Flop: (60) Hero (1Milhão$emNada) is BB with A Q
wampese (UTG) raises to 80, 4 players fold, 1Milhão$emNada (BB) 3-bets to 260, wampese (UTG) calls 180

Flop: (540) 7 A Q (2 players)
1Milhão$emNada (BB) checks, wampese (UTG) checks

Turn: (540) K (2 players)
1Milhão$emNada (BB) bets 243, wampese (UTG) calls 243

River: (1,026) 7 (2 players)
1Milhão$emNada (BB) bets 667, wampese (UTG) raises to 2,101 (all-in), 1Milhão$emNada (BB) calls 1,434

Total pot: 5,228

Showdown:
wampese (UTG) shows J T (a straight, Ten to Ace)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 36%, Flop: 18%, Turn: 91%, River: 100%)

1Milhão$emNada (BB) shows A Q (two pair, Aces and Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 64%, Flop: 82%, Turn: 9%, River: 0%)

wampese (UTG) wins 5,228

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
after the villain pay 260 preflop, there's no chance to make him fold. a cooler, happens...
avoid using portuguese poker terms in the forum, because nobody will know what is.
"drill" means - gutshot/straight draw, for those who didn't understand
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-glossary.php

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think that you played this hand even good. IMO you should play more pre flop. because blinds are small and you are on the deep stacks. In freeroll are very weak players. Weak players like call pre flop raise with medium hands. Pre flop raise OOP should be bigger that raise in position. So I prefer here 3bet pre flop in freeroll at least 5-6x from the big blinds. On the flop I think slow isn't stupid idea. It is a little risky, but when on the turn came up save card we can win a lot of chips. When you check on the flop, better players can think that you have weak cards.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me you played the pre-flop well but I don't understand why check the flop and turn you have two pairs the villain raised X3 in the pre-flop and then called your 3-bet the range here is between AK -AJ or a middle pair I would not have checked I would have bet on the flop and turn

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop is fine with the raise and good sizing of the raise. Maybe could have gone even bigger if you wanted. The flop check is not correct. Many of us C bet when we have nothing against a single opponent and thats fine, it allows you a shot to pick up the pot. When you smash the board (short of Full house nuts) you need to still be C betting for balance and also for value. If your opponent was going to fold to your C bet as you thought, then how many turns could come up to help him catch up that would not be beating you? If he has one pair already, he would be calling your C bet so you cant be hoping for him to catch 2 pair on the turn to make him start calling. If a king (which it does) comes out on the turn and he only has Kx, he is still not going to automatically call since there is an ace on the board and your check on the flop raises eyebrows. Remember the villain did raise so he probably has something. Maybe pocket pairs and broadway cards as a range. This range would lead us to think he connected with this board enough to call a C bet.

What I am trying to get at is if he has nothing to call your flop bet he probably will have nothing to call your turn bet either. You are better off just betting the flop and hoping he is a floater if he has nothing. Many more players will float the flop vs floating the turn anyway and it gives you the best chance to get some value in the hand.

The way the hand ran out was just a cooler so I would not worry about that aspect of the hand but focus on the your C betting frequency in these 3 bet situations in the future.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Maybe you could raise a little larger preflop if utg calls a lot and opens hands like J10o from that position, 4x-4.5x is more standard when we 3bet out of position but this is just a small detail, your sizing is not bad.
Also I don't mind to flat call AQ from bb against utg's range, this goes better for full ring games but it can apply on 6-handed too and it's not a bad option.

I'm ok to check that flop sometimes, I can't really blame you, but I prefer to bet here against utg.
If we 3bet preflop is more standard to bet here anyways even if we have nothing.
1/4-1/3 of pot is a good sizing.

As played maybe you could find the fold at the end, it's a hard decision to make I know but such a move from him suggests that he has a hand that beat us and we still have 30+ bb behind to continue with the tourney.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop is fine with the raise and good sizing of the raise. Maybe could have gone even bigger if you wanted. The flop check is not correct. Many of us C bet when we have nothing against a single opponent and thats fine, it allows you a shot to pick up the pot. When you smash the board (short of Full house nuts) you need to still be C betting for balance and also for value. If your opponent was going to fold to your C bet as you thought, then how many turns could come up to help him catch up that would not be beating you? If he has one pair already, he would be calling your C bet so you cant be hoping for him to catch 2 pair on the turn to make him start calling. If a king (which it does) comes out on the turn and he only has Kx, he is still not going to automatically call since there is an ace on the board and your check on the flop raises eyebrows. Remember the villain did raise so he probably has something. Maybe pocket pairs and broadway cards as a range. This range would lead us to think he connected with this board enough to call a C bet.

Thank you so much for the answer, it helped a lot

What I am trying to get at is if he has nothing to call your flop bet he probably will have nothing to call your turn bet either. You are better off just betting the flop and hoping he is a floater if he has nothing. Many more players will float the flop vs floating the turn anyway and it gives you the best chance to get some value in the hand.

The way the hand ran out was just a cooler so I would not worry about that aspect of the hand but focus on the your C betting frequency in these 3 bet situations in the future.

Thank you so much for the answer, it helped a lot

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,

Maybe you could raise a little larger preflop if utg calls a lot and opens hands like J10o from that position, 4x-4.5x is more standard when we 3bet out of position but this is just a small detail, your sizing is not bad.
Also I don't mind to flat call AQ from bb against utg's range, this goes better for full ring games but it can apply on 6-handed too and it's not a bad option.

I'm ok to check that flop sometimes, I can't really blame you, but I prefer to bet here against utg.
If we 3bet preflop is more standard to bet here anyways even if we have nothing.
1/4-1/3 of pot is a good sizing.

As played maybe you could find the fold at the end, it's a hard decision to make I know but such a move from him suggests that he has a hand that beat us and we still have 30+ bb behind to continue with the tourney.

Yes true before I won little post-flop than I lost a lot