$50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Pocket 4s with one overcard after the flop

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Pocket 4s with one overcard after the flop

I'm UTG in a $50 live tournament, and after about 2 1/2 hours there are 2 tables and twenty players left.
I have about 60k in my stack, and I've already flopped a set at least twice in this tournament.
My last tournament I called with pocket fives twice and both times I ended up with a boat.
I am UTG with :4s4::4c4:
The villain is new to the table, and he is 2 seats to my left. The only information that I have about him is that he has at least 3-4X as many chips that I have.
The blinds are 300/800/1600.
I bet 4200
The villain calls and everyone else folds.
The flop comes out -
:2d4::3h4::qs4:
I've tried to figuire out my hand equity. I think it's a coin flip .
What would you do?
Check?
Bet 4200 again to see if he reraises?
Bet something like 10K to push him off the hand?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Without information on the player there is no easy answer for us here. With 20 players left I also wonder how far we are from the money at this time as that would affect my decision. We are the raiser and this board did not hit much but we are UTG and should be very strong with our range here. Since we raised from UTG I would c-bet it here. I wish we knew the pot size but with the blinds and antes my guess is there is about 13.5K so I would bet about 8500 here. If he re-raises or calls I am pretty much done with the hand here.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You figure most live tournaments payout to the top 10-12% so the answer is 5. Starts out at $150 and ends around about $550 for the winner. The prize pool was a little over $1600. I just assumed people already knew how these poker rooms work. My bad.
Your guess for the pot size is pretty close I think. 800+1600+3000+4200+4200= 13.8K. It's hard to tell because there are so many chips on the table. Keep answering people!

Last edited:
pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep in mind that as you get deeper into a tournament you may very well find that it' gets harder and harder to make decisions. Your tournament life is always on the line.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With little information on Villian, it's tough to say. This is one of the better flops we could ask for when opening 44 from UTG. I think I would bet 1/3 pot as the board is very dry. If we get re-raised, I think it's a pretty easy fold, but if we are behind we can still improve with a 4, 5, or A. Definitely a good board to c-bet though.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With little information on Villian, it's tough to say. This is one of the better flops we could ask for when opening 44 from UTG. I think I would bet 1/3 pot as the board is very dry. If we get re-raised, I think it's a pretty easy fold, but if we are behind we can still improve with a 4, 5, or A. Definitely a good board to c-bet though.
I think that a 1/3 bet is about right.
When you think about it, you can't check this hand unless you just want to give up on it, because you know the villain is going to raise you and you're going have to fold.
A big bet might be a very dangerous move because the villain has probably somewhere or around 200-250K chips which is well over 100 BBs. He could easily raise 25K to make it look like a standard value bet, or bet anything about 50K to make it look like he's bluffing when he knows that he has the best hand. Either way, you might be pot committed if you decide to call.
What are you going to do if he shoves on you?
He will have every option available to get the most value out of his hand because he has position on you.
You could very well find out that you're in a lot of trouble. That's what I think about it. Call me up on this one if you believe I'm wrong :)

Last edited:
T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For this situation, what is our image at this table? How many times did we steal the blind? How sticky is our opp? I am tight but when everyone fold to me, I am going to steal the blinds and continue to bet on flop a lot; so with my style, people would call me on the flop a lot; therefore, I would bet the pot on every turn.

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For this situation, what is our image at this table? How many times did we steal the blind? How sticky is our opp? I am tight but when everyone folds to me, I am going to steal the blinds and continue to bet on flop a lot; so with my style, people would call me on the flop a lot; therefore, I would bet the pot on every turn.
The villain just moved to the table, so I have no image. TBH I'm wondering if he has 1 of those 3 queens. He has a huge stack, so I'm assuming that he's very sticky, but those are still some good points to think about when you're playing live. :)

A

ankitgupta45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say there are three lines that u can take.
1. Bet 1/3rd of the pot and call a raise from the villain coz u have good equity and villain has lot of air with raises . only AQ , KQ and middling pocket pars are the hands which he might want to raise .
2. bet 80% of the pot as one time bet to see where u at in the hand , almost always when villain calls u r behind.Be done with the hand after that

3. Delayed cbet would look so strong here . I would check the flop and if it goes check check , i would fire turn on any card. U r going to take same line with AA, AQ, KQ , KK , JJ atleast some % of the time.

Basically, this hand is one of those spots where u r far ahead or far behind if villan calls or raises and personally i would go for 3rd option , then 1st option and 2nd option. 3rd and 1sr options also earn u a lot of respect if the hand reaches the showdonw. Goal is to represent we have more value than air. On flop, we have lot of air and if villain raises us, we lose all of our equity we have in hand by folding.