1st place (UTG): 54bb
2nd: 37bb
3rd: 37bb
4th: 34bb
5th: 27bb

i was in 9th place, this would have put me in about a 4 way tie for 1st

iPoker - $5+$0.50|<> NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 8.73 BB (VPIP: 11.63, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 43)
BB: 5.53 BB (VPIP: 13.04, PFR: 7.94, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 69)
UTG: 53.82 BB (VPIP: 12.00, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 26)
UTG+1: 20.61 BB (VPIP: 28.57, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
MP: 21.87 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
MP+1: 7.64 BB (VPIP: 13.33, PFR: 4.00, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, Hands: 30)
MP+2: 14.83 BB (VPIP: 30.00, PFR: 30.00, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 20)
CO: 6.09 BB (VPIP: 3.33, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 30)
Hero (BTN): 15.68 BB

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.4 BB) Hero has 8♣ K♣

UTG raises to 2.22 BB, fold, MP calls 2.22 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2.22 BB, fold

timing tell on UTG, he went into his time bank before making his decision, which to me says he has a fairly marginal hand. if he had a strong hand he would have bet and not thought much about it. if it was a weak hand, he would have just folded. MP was playing loose enough that he was going to miss and fold most flops. My hand was marginal, but i felt i had a significant skill and position edge on my opponents infront of me. tight image. im floating dry flops and try to take it down on the turn. folding turn barrels if i havent connected. if i connect with the flop i reevaluate.

Flop: (9.07 BB, 3 players) 8 4♣ 2♠
UTG checks, MP checks, Hero bets 4.53 BB, UTG calls 4.53 BB, fold

top pair good kicker... i have the best hand most of the time here, i could see UTG slowplaying a medium pocket pair here, but he could have missed entirely.

Turn: (18.13 BB, 2 players) 7
UTG bets 46.96 BB, Hero calls 8.82 BB

this is weird, the 7 didnt improve his hand, maybe he picked up a draw, but im still ahead if thats the case... hes either slowplaying me, or he's bluffing. if he's slowplaying me, then why not let me barrel the turn and shove on the river? ive gotta think he thought i was just bluffing on the flop.

River: (35.77 BB, 2 players) T

Last edited:
T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your flat pre is awful here. Timing tells in online poker (especially in a spot where someone is opening UTG) are pretty much irrelevant. Given that someone overcalled and you have 15bb, there is not a single hand you should be flatting with here. You have 13bb going to the flop where the pot will be 9bb minimum, so there isn't really much skill advantage postflop considering the SPR you will be dealing with. If you have such a strong read that UTG is light and the overcaller is flatting a wide range of hands, then why are you not shoving pre?

Flop is fine, turn is a crying fold in my opinion. What do you beat here that UTG is opening with and then x/c, lead turn with? At best you're up against 55/66 or two overs + hearts that x/c the flop which is rare.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your flat pre is awful here. Timing tells in online poker (especially in a spot where someone is opening UTG) are pretty much irrelevant. Given that someone overcalled and you have 15bb, there is not a single hand you should be flatting with here. You have 13bb going to the flop where the pot will be 9bb minimum, so there isn't really much skill advantage postflop considering the SPR you will be dealing with. If you have such a strong read that UTG is light and the overcaller is flatting a wide range of hands, then why are you not shoving pre?

Flop is fine, turn is a crying fold in my opinion. What do you beat here that UTG is opening with and then x/c, lead turn with? At best you're up against 55/66 or two overs + hearts that x/c the flop which is rare.

youre right, shove pre would probably be best. took the last week off from poker, so i was a little rusty going into this, and wasnt paying as much attention to spr as i should have. timing tells are usually pretty irrelevant in online poker, but what does he go into the time bank for? didnt get the impression that he was multitabling. and unless he has table manager software, the timebank doesnt come on automatically on ignition. I could see him showing up with Ax hearts here, maybe Ah7h? there's plenty of pocket pairs in his range.. but it really smells like a bluff, and i think there are enough in his range that he's capable of bluffing on a board like this.. like what hands does he call the flop and donk shove the turn with? maybe he has 77 exactly? thats the only hand i could see that makes sense here, but even then i think he'd be likely to slowplay it and let me barrel. if he had an overpair, why call flop shove turn when he could check raise the flop? why wouldnt he just cbet with an overpair?

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding pre always here, not tell can make this a jam when you face an UTG raise AND a call.

The thing with learning more about the game of poker is that you will tend to overuse reads and overevaluate skill level. With 15bb your skill level is pretty diminished to a 3bet/jam certain range type game. You simply can't afford to check/fold 2.2bb here on the button when you are not even guaranteed to see the flop (you still have two players left to act).

As far as the timing tell thing goes, it could be anything, a spider could have landed on his lap and he was timing out because he was punching it to death with his bare hands.... who knows why his timing was out, but it's completely unreliable tell online imo.

Once you get postflop you have pretty much the jackpot board hitting TPGK so i'm almost always getting it in here, but i'm not thrilled about it at all, but once we c-bet the flop we have almost 50% of our stack in, since the 7h should change very little i'm snap calling here but i'd expect a decent amount of 99 TT JJ type hands to play it this way, and if he doesn't have that then he's very likely to have two live overs we need to dodge.

overall a pretty clumsy spot to enter the pot here. Look to make big moves postflop. like 3betting 30-40% of your stack and jamming flops, or just simply 3betting preflop all in, these just work so well you don't really need to make things complicated for yourself.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Youre right. I think I was just getting greedy, and wasn't excited about the prospect of potentially dropping below 10th place and taking a mincash.

I guess I should add that SB was sitting out, and if BB shoves, I probably would have flatted unless one of the other two players isolates. But it was really unlikely that BB shoves with 3 players in the pot ahead of him.

Results
So I was right about him bluffing. He had Tc9c I didn't expect him to enter the pot that wide.. Maybe he was aware of the way a early position raise looks strong. I expected a lot of Ax hands.

Last edited: