$360 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Fold 2nd nuts on river in multiway pot?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are 10 handed a few levels in to a rebuy MTT and we are past the rebuy period. I have about 45,000 in chips. blinds are 200/400 with a 50 ante and the table is extremely limpy/passive/cally. Average stack is about 30,000.

I am in the BB. UTG+1 limps. The CO (villain) limps he is the table big stack with about 65,000 in chips and seems competent. He is passive preflop aggressive post flop. The Button limps. The SB limps and I have :ks4::2h4: and check my option.

5 handed to the flop and the pot contains 2,500.

Flop comes :7s4::qs4::8d4:

the action checks around. pot still contains 2,500

the turn is the :2s4: I briefly consider leading with bottom pair and flushdraw....but quickly reject the idea as nobody is folding a better hand to me ever and I could get raised and have to fold out all my equity. so I check with the intention of calling a reasonable bet size in the right kind of situation (player read, who's left to act etc).

But....it checks around again! Pot still contains 2,500 going to the river.

river is the :3s4: giving me the 2nd nuts. The SB checks to me and I figure now is a good time to bet. with 4 other players in the pot I can maybe get value from worse spades or 2 pair. So I bet kinda small to make it easier for 2 pair type hands to call me. I bet 1,000 into 2,500 or 40% of the pot.

It folds around to the CO who eyes my stack and raises me to 2,500. The Button and SB both fold.

I'm getting 4:1 on a call with the 2nd nuts, but can a worse hand ever raise here?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMHO easy call, an 'aggressive post flop' player would have bet his :as4: on that turn especially being in the CO..

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap call, we have 2nd nuts at a limpy/fishy table where people are capable of overplaying a flush on this river. Not only are we getting 4:1, but if we call and lose, this is a very small portion of our stack we lose.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap call, we have 2nd nuts at a limpy/fishy table where people are capable of overplaying a flush on this river. Not only are we getting 4:1, but if we call and lose, this is a very small portion of our stack we lose.

I think this is the most important consideration. 1,500 is not a significant part of my stack to call off even if I think I'm behind often. So, I did in fact make a crying call and he showed me :as4: :6c4:

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The reasoning is totally valid, you have 4:1 and it's not a significant part of your stack. The call is the only play that makes sense here. Folding is too tight and leaves you open to being exploited later by good observant players. Raising is downright stack suicide...

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My thoughts too when I read this. It's such a small percent of your stack you have to make the crying call. If it's any bigger a fold is reasonable.

danndourado

danndourado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call! But I think you could 4bet him like 5.6K and he might calls you. As a limper/passive, he can tought you're bluffing a A or K spades against he's probabilly 2pairs or top pair.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy call! But I think you could 4bet him like 5.6K and he might calls you. As a limper/passive, he can tought you're bluffing a A or K spades against he's probabilly 2pairs or top pair.

I don't think raising makes any sense here. What would be the purpose to fold out the better hands as a bluff? Well the only better hand is the nuts so they're not folding and they're not even flatting...they're 5betting. Would the purpose be to extract value from smaller spades? I doubt a Js or worse would ever raise me right there....but IF they did they certainly could fold to my 4bet.

danndourado

danndourado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not read he has the Ace of Spades, sorry. I was considering the idea of a 2 pairs, set or even a J spade in his hand, likes JTs , J9s and so on. If I am the villain and have T, J or A spade, will re-raise, but I will also do with a set or two pairs. I was considering the idea of raising expecting to be called.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes there is no reason to raise there, but no real reason to fold either. And if you had bet the turn, he most certainly would have called with the nut flush draw, so you would have wound up just costing yourself even more chips. You played it well and avoided catastrophe.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just call,it wont hurt your stack too much also no point in raising with possible 2nd nut.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There is no reason to fold here. I would do the just like you did.

polo kwan

polo kwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are 10 handed a few levels in to a rebuy MTT and we are past the rebuy period. I have about 45,000 in chips. blinds are 200/400 with a 50 ante and the table is extremely limpy/passive/cally. Average stack is about 30,000.

I am in the BB. UTG+1 limps. The CO (villain) limps he is the table big stack with about 65,000 in chips and seems competent. He is passive preflop aggressive post flop. The Button limps. The SB limps and I have :ks4::2h4: and check my option.

5 handed to the flop and the pot contains 2,500.

Flop comes :7s4::qs4::8d4:

the action checks around. pot still contains 2,500

the turn is the :2s4: I briefly consider leading with bottom pair and flushdraw....but quickly reject the idea as nobody is folding a better hand to me ever and I could get raised and have to fold out all my equity. so I check with the intention of calling a reasonable bet size in the right kind of situation (player read, who's left to act etc).

But....it checks around again! Pot still contains 2,500 going to the river.

river is the :3s4: giving me the 2nd nuts. The SB checks to me and I figure now is a good time to bet. with 4 other players in the pot I can maybe get value from worse spades or 2 pair. So I bet kinda small to make it easier for 2 pair type hands to call me. I bet 1,000 into 2,500 or 40% of the pot.

It folds around to the CO who eyes my stack and raises me to 2,500. The Button and SB both fold.

I'm getting 4:1 on a call with the 2nd nuts, but can a worse hand ever raise here?

what will be the reason of folding?
juz snap call.
i put him two low pairs in the river instead of weak spade...

Folding in Poker