$35 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: River shoved with AA - Call or fold

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The blinds are 100/200 no antes (27 players field)

Early stage- Second blind level

Stack size: Hero - 45 000
Villain 30 000

Hero (AcAs) UTG; raise to 1 100
Villain (Button) ; calls 1 100

I describe villain to be quite passive and fishy. He calls most hands even though its dominated but he 3-bet hands like AQ. AK, 1010+.

Flop is Jc 10c 7c

Pot is 2500

Hero: I bet for 1500
Villain: calls for 1500

Turn is 7s

Hero: bet for 3100
Villain: calls for 3100

River is 2h

Hero bets 5000
Villain shoves all in for 22,400.

My thought process in this hand: If he had hands like KQc or any sort of flopped flushed, i was pretty sure he would 3 bet on the flop. If he did flop a set then he would 3 bet me as well. Since i am the pre flop raiser UTG, i am most likely to have a Ac, where i could hit my flush on the turn or river. Pretty much he knows i have a good hand, would imagine him to get it in right there.

I thought he might have hands like AJ, calling all the way till the river or hands like KJ with a Kc.

I would post the villains hand later but what do you guys think?

Call or fold?

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is taking me some time to process.... I can see the villain having the AJ and KJ or KQ with Kc.... only hands i would think in the players range beating us are boats, quads and KQcc... not knowing the players tendencies I have to go off your judgement and say they would have raised with these hands sooner....Maybe its a weak flush and they waited to see no more clubs dropped....kk maybe with kc Turning it into a bluff some what.... Really depends on the player. Math wise the pot has 39,100 and we need to call 17,400 leaving us 15k at the 100-200 level... Based on the math and your read... I'd call and optimistically wait to see what villain has...

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply! Really good thinking process and similar to mine. I thought it is early stage, i could possibly call and still manage to run it up..

Another thing though, i know for sure, in microstakes, when a player is 3bet jamming on river is most certainly strong.

I do want more comments and thought on this before i post his hand.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thing though, i know for sure, in microstakes, when a player is 3bet jamming on river is most certainly strong.

I agree with this! Player dependent again you get the bluff shovers but more times than not its value!

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on the given infos i think he could have a range that you can be winning like AJ-JT-QJ-KJ-KT but the river shove looks like a Set of TTs or JJs. If it was a flush he would 3-bet the turn. I think the most dangerous cards he could have is 89s, since he was in the BTN would be an easy call for him pre-flop. IMHO i don't want to make this call in such an early stage with a dangerous board like that.

R

Raibik13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on the given infos i think he could have a range that you can be winning like AJ-JT-QJ-KJ-KT but the river shove looks like a Set of TTs or JJs. If it was a flush he would 3-bet the turn. I think the most dangerous cards he could have is 89s, since he was in the BTN would be an easy call for him pre-flop. IMHO i don't want to make this call in such an early stage with a dangerous board like that.

Very well insight. You seem to have a good hand reading skill. What books did you read or how did you improve it?

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check/call river. Puke fold as played.

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very well insight. You seem to have a good hand reading skill. What books did you read or how did you improve it?

I'm trying to improve my game play and reading by watching a lot of hand analisys on youtube . Sometimes i have to loose some chips just to see what the villain have and be aware of his type and style of game. I readed some books but my time is short so i think its better to read articles and watch videos since they are more succinct.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You describe the player as a "passive and fishy". You also stated that he/she would 3bet hands like "AQ. AK, 1010+". Just going by these 2 statements of yours. We can actually discount hands such as AK-10s, since they had position on you (Since they were BTN). Given that their was no Preflop 3bet from them, than It comes to, exactly what they could have that actually can do this play? I mean they called post flop and didn't RR, and they called your turn bet and didn't RR on turn. Yet they shove river on you now?

I'd like to ask, since you knew this player was a "Passive/Fishy" than I'm wondering what the "Fold to Cbet" percentage was on flop/turn? If It was high on either flop and/or turn, than I ask why are we ever betting river? Since they clearly aren't going any-where, and we do have SDV by check/calling had we decided to keep the pot small? I really hate folding a big PP on this board, but at the same time, I can't see something that you beat here. I mean a "Passive/fish" flats flop+turn and now RRAI on river? What does this? KQc (Sure enough), JJ-10s would've RR pre (going by your statement+ the fact that they are on BTN), so It's got to be either 2s-89s-Clubs- and even quads/maybe even A7o. I'd really wouldn't call this at all, but than again, I wouldn't have bet turn once called on flop, but that's Just me

Folding in Poker