$11 NLHE MTT: Is there any way to let go of KK in this spot?

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$11 NLHE MTT: Is there any way to let go of KK in this spot?

So, rough time. Made a sweet deep run, or well pretty decent. Sadly I had 2 vital spots wich made my tourney life a lot worse. This is the hand my tourney life ended in. I'm just wondering if there is any way to get away from KK in this spot.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 11 Tournament, 3,000/6,000 Blinds 750 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

UTG (t139,940)
UTG+1 (t369,388)
MP1 (t87,357)
MP2 (t125,844)
MP3 (t297,424)
CO (t79,326)
Button (t96,992)
Hero (SB) (t84,622)
BB (t403,846)

Hero's M: 5.37

Preflop: Hero is SB with K
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif

UTG raises to t139,190 (All-In), 6 folds, Hero calls t80,872 (All-In), 1 fold

Flop: (t180,494) Q
club.gif
, J
club.gif
, 8
diamond.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t180,494) 8
heart.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t180,494) 2
club.gif
(2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t180,494

Results below:
Hero had K
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif
(two pair, Kings and eights).
UTG had A
heart.gif
, A
club.gif
(two pair, Aces and eights).
Outcome: UTG won t180,494

I'd like to think most people don't shove AA utg in this spot mainly because the tables is SO tight at this stage that even the bigstacks won't bother calling a small stack without atleast TT, AQ+ and would miss out on alot of value. Ideally a 2,5x bb or 4x bb would cause the bigstacks to try it out. I doubt most bigstacks would pay him off here, only guys like me hoping for a DU with some useless kings. (I CALL SETUP HAND.) Theese spots seems so common when deep in a tourney that I was thinking some players might be able to dodge this. Help please!

Last edited:
M

Mazak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just wondering if there is any way to get away from KK in this spot.

In my opinion there is no way, it's only one hand totally defeating you. Additionaly you were on 14BB which is hard spot to play and you should use any situation to improve your stack.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion there is no way, it's only one hand totally defeating you. Additionaly you were on 14BB which is hard spot to play and you should use any situation to improve your stack.

Thanks for the input. I should mention it was 27 players left (Big11) I don't know if that has some significant difference. If I had been out at 26, I've had a better ROI...

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm just wondering if there is any way to get away from KK in this spot.

Hero's M: 5.37

Preflop: Hero is SB with K
club.gif
, K
diamond.gif

UTG raises to t139,190 (All-In), 6 folds, Hero calls t80,872 (All-In),

I'm jumping for joy in this spot. Yeah the results suck but if you are looking for ways to avoid playing KK here then you need to do some work on tilt control.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm jumping for joy in this spot. Yeah the results suck but if you are looking for ways to avoid playing KK here then you need to do some work on tilt control.

No no, I don't regret playing KK here, it's not about tilt at all. I just wonder if there IS a way to see trough this? After all I WAS jumping with joy until he revealed his cards lol. I guess if it was a sattybubble situation a fold could be justified (tbh I don't see a fold here ever otherwise). Ah well thank you for taking your time.

M

Mazak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the input. I should mention it was 27 players left (Big11) I don't know if that has some significant difference. If I had been out at 26, I've had a better ROI...

It really doesn't matter which were you. Situation with pocket of kings is always same for me coz of this that only Aces are totally destroying it preflop :D

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats a cooler u cant do much about it move on thats about it

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's not about tilt at all

IMHO just going off some of your other posts, it appears that you have a hard time with variance. Yeah I know she's a bitch but we really do have to embrace her to make our games move forward. Since you play online you get so many more chances to experience her but even live your most memorable hands will be when she reaches out to slap you up side the head :eek:

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO just going off some of your other posts, it appears that you have a hard time with variance. Yeah I know she's a bitch but we really do have to embrace her to make our games move forward. Since you play online you get so many more chances to experience her but even live your most memorable hands will be when she reaches out to slap you up side the head :eek:

It's true I'm having a real hard time at the moment. Slapping? She's bending me over! And yes, making my game move forward is what I am trying to do. Hence the wierd questions.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe better to just not enter the tournament if you are questioning getting away from KK here in this spot.
Also, even if this is smack dab on the exact bubble I am NEVER folding in this spot EVER! (in an MTT)

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, you are never folding KK in this spot.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe better to just not enter the tournament if you are questioning getting away from KK here in this spot.
Also, even if this is smack dab on the exact bubble I am NEVER folding in this spot EVER! (in an MTT)

No, you are never folding KK in this spot.

This pretty much concludes it. Nothing to be done about this spot I guess. Thank you very much

marieemce

marieemce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold KK in your position. You just fold this hand when you see the flop and you see an A and de villain is betting you too much.

But pre-flop, nothing we can do

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
standard cooler. M=5 fist pump try not to hit the monitor or something too hard snap call with KK

V

Vzan23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are u kidding??? 14bbs a guy open shoves and i got KK.... I'm calling even if another guy reshoves....

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, majority of people are. After all, vs a random opponent KK is an instant call.

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't fold there. A better question is... What OTHER hands should snap Call in that spot.

I think you should be snapping with 15 or fewer BBs with AKs, AKo, QQ, and maybe AQs. Depending on UTGs previous play they could be a possibility to call AQo and JJ.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dude, I realize this is considered a form of flattery but seriously you need to quit copying & repeating my answers. :rolleyes:

How else am I gonna catch up to your near-17k posts???

Can't fold there. A better question is... What OTHER hands should snap Call in that spot.

I think you should be snapping with 15 or fewer BBs with AKs, AKo, QQ, and maybe AQs. Depending on UTGs previous play they could be a possibility to call AQo and JJ.

I think JJ+ AK+ is a good base calling range in the situation.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
UTG can play here push (M9 stack) about with range 99+, AQ+. In this spot with your KK from SB your EQ is 69%. You win with 68% and spilt with 1%. Ofc you must play here only call his push! GG! You lose here only with 31% and AA is in that!

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is one of those situation that you must call the all in. You've got great cards, nice preflop position and I just can't see how you may fold the Kings. You may think about that if you have a 3-bet before you from some super tight player.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How else am I gonna catch up to your near-17k posts???

I think JJ+ AK+ is a good base calling range in the situation.

i think im calling a little tighter here... i think JJ+ AQs+ AKo is a good calling range when the UTG is playing effective stacks of 16bb but i think because UTG is shoving 22bb effective, i think our calling range should basically be KK+ and maaayybe, very maybe add AKs i think villain is shoving a range of QQ+ and AKo+

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think im calling a little tighter here... i think JJ+ AQs+ AKo is a good calling range when the UTG is playing effective stacks of 16bb but i think because UTG is shoving 22bb effective, i think our calling range should basically be KK+ and maaayybe, very maybe add AKs i think villain is shoving a range of QQ+ and AKo+
Do you really feel UTG is going to be ripping in KK+ here ever? I'd weight his range towards AK here and TT-QQ are the next most likely.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont think utg is ever shoving as a bluff... yes, minraise would be correct for UTG but its a mistake to assume players play correctly. UTG has 3 stacks behind him that have him covered, and a few stacks that would leave him pretty high and dry if called by better... hed have to be totally fearless to just rip JJ here. i can see AKo but not Jacks

we can only assume he is shoving the bottom of his range like that if hes been playing extremely aggresively and shoving >20bb eff. a lot

Last edited:
Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's an easy call, even if you had JJ you should be calling here, it's just unlucky for you that opponent had aces. That was the only hand that beat you in this spot.