Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 68/42/4.5

This was a 25 cents spin and go.
Do you think it is ok to do a check raise here on the turn?

Villains stats: VPIP 68 / PFR 42 / AF 4.5 (42 hands)

poker stars No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (2 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

SB (t698)
Hero (BB) (t802)

Hero's M: 17.82

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9
club.gif
, Q
diamond.gif

SB calls t15, Hero checks

Flop: (t60) 7
heart.gif
, Q
heart.gif
, 4
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, SB bets t30, Hero calls t30

Turn: (t120) J
heart.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, SB bets t30, Hero raises t120, SB calls t90

River: (t360) 10
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, SB checks

Total pot: t360

bushy_lufc

bushy_lufc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't make much sense.... raise the flop or just call call... youre narrowing down his turn range buy folding out his weak hands and keeping in his strong hands which is not a good plan

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
It is ok to check raise turn. But why check raise so small? Given how the hand played out you should have half potted the river.
In my opinion the best line would have been to raise flop to about 140, jam turn (mainly because it is not a great card if it was a blank bet about 200).
I am guessing this is one of those serial min bet players sometimes they have it most times they have air. If it is one of these players I would suggest even raising preflop maybe to about 105.

Last edited:
GameTheoryOptional

GameTheoryOptional

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the x/r maybe 100-150 just like you did. If he picked up a heart but has no other hand to speak of then he will likely not put any more money in on the river so we should get as much of it as we can now. I would bet river too as there are hands that you beat that will call but probably he wouldnt bluff or bet his weak made hands here especially after you raised. This seems like a spot we can bet and fold to a raise if he hasnt been too crazy.

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It doesn't make much sense.... raise the flop or just call call... youre narrowing down his turn range buy folding out his weak hands and keeping in his strong hands which is not a good plan
My idea was that on the flop I was ahead and safe, but with another heart on the turn my hand was under more pressure.
When my opponent bets so small on the turn (1/4 pot) I wanted to get a bit more in the pot (he bets so small quite often on the flop and turn, which doesn't built any pot) and make him pay if he was drawing for another heart.
If he would 3bet jam, I could still fold.
I also thought that like this, I avoid big river bet (as he does quite often too), as he has to think about my hand strength. Otherwise he probably think I'm having a weak holding and fire big on the river as a bluff.

What's up with so much players bet sizing btw?
I see so much players at these low stakes making minbet on the flop and turn, and then fire so big (potsize or more) on the river.

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the x/r maybe 100-150 just like you did. If he picked up a heart but has no other hand to speak of then he will likely not put any more money in on the river so we should get as much of it as we can now. I would bet river too as there are hands that you beat that will call but probably he wouldnt bluff or bet his weak made hands here especially after you raised. This seems like a spot we can bet and fold to a raise if he hasnt been too crazy.
Which worse hands do you think will call a river bet?
I think my x/r shows already strength which will make a lot of worse hands fold to a river bet
With a normal size bet, I guess a J with good kicker, but apart from that?
A big bet might make it more like a bluff, but I don't think at these stakes my opponent would think like that.
Maybe a small bet might get a call.

Abramo Della Luce

Abramo Della Luce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is ok to check raise turn. But why check raise so small? Given how the hand played out you should have half potted the river.
In my opinion the best line would have been to raise flop to about 140, jam turn (mainly because it is not a great card if it was a blank bet about 200).
I am guessing this is one of those serial min bet players sometimes they have it most times they have air. If it is one of these players I would suggest even raising preflop maybe to about 105.
Point is that I don't like to play oop so much and I feel that this hand is a bit on the line of raising or not. Now I think about it, I incline more in a raise than a check though.
The reason I x/r this size is that I want to still get away from it, when my opponent jams.

GameTheoryOptional

GameTheoryOptional

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which worse hands do you think will call a river bet?
I think my x/r shows already strength which will make a lot of worse hands fold to a river bet
With a normal size bet, I guess a J with good kicker, but apart from that?
A big bet might make it more like a bluff, but I don't think at these stakes my opponent would think like that.
Maybe a small bet might get a call.

Yes my thought process is the same, im not suggesting you bet pot or anything close but in a hyper turbo betting 60 chips will often get called by a J or even a T at these stakes (many micro players on ACR would call with a T and often times even worse than that, not sure how stars plays). 60 chips in a hyper turbo is huge and most players wont value these few chips enough to make a tight fold.

Andrey Smirnov

Andrey Smirnov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turn - check/call, river too