$400 NLHE Full Ring: Live $2/5 2 pair OOP vs talented LAG

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FYI when creating this hand, $2/5 isn't a choice so I picked $2/4 randomly. anyways...I'm used to playing $1/2 and $1/3 and am just starting to get used to live $2/5 I've played about 25 hours over 5 sessions mostly with the same group of people and the villain in this hand is by far the best player at the table every night. plays very wide ranges. doesn't give up easily. floats a ton, raises his draws etc

it folds to this Good LAG in the CO and he raises to $20 (table standard).

it folds to me in the SB I have :ah4::9c4: I 3bet to $75 he flats

Pot contains $157

flop :as4::jh4::9h4:

I cbet $75 he flats.

Pot has $307 Turn is the 7c.

I lead $150 he insta folds

I think I messed up the turn. But what SHOULD I do?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you think you messed up. He could just be floating and thus fold on your turn bet on the other hand I would not recommend to give a free card on this type of board.

If you have however a solid read that the LAG will frequently bet when you check to him then checking the turn is a valid option to get more money out of him.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong, occasionally your opponent will simply not have the cards to make the call. There is some merit to checking the turn and catching his float, but if he is floating EVERY time then he is pretty exploitable and therefore u cannot categorize him as "good".

Also this turn card doesn't really do much for our range, if you read him as weak it would be an ideal spot to check it to him.

Also, i don't understand the raise pre. Our BB range has NO fold equity versus his late pos. opener, and we are not in a spot where we are 3-betting for value. Why play a big pot oop with a weakish ace?

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I share TenJack's view that A9o is not ideal 3bet hand vs lag.

I could see myself doing it against tighter or abc player sometimes with fold equity.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing wrong, occasionally your opponent will simply not have the cards to make the call. There is some merit to checking the turn and catching his float, but if he is floating EVERY time then he is pretty exploitable and therefore u cannot categorize him as "good".

Also this turn card doesn't really do much for our range, if you read him as weak it would be an ideal spot to check it to him.

Also, i don't understand the raise pre. Our BB range has NO fold equity versus his late pos. opener, and we are not in a spot where we are 3-betting for value. Why play a big pot oop with a weakish ace?

I share TenJack's view that A9o is not ideal 3bet hand vs lag.

I could see myself doing it against tighter or abc player sometimes with fold equity.

It’s good feedback. Would you recommend just folding A9o in the SB vs a very wide opening range? I feel like flatting OOP is more trouble here than 3b...maybe I’m wrong. But folding seems waaay too nitty

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you think you messed up. He could just be floating and thus fold on your turn bet on the other hand I would not recommend to give a free card on this type of board.

If you have however a solid read that the LAG will frequently bet when you check to him then checking the turn is a valid option to get more money out of him.

Basically BECAUSE he has so many floats it seems like most of his range will just fold to this bet. I have a value hand and want value so it seems like checking is better?

Check raise? Check call?

Hujiko

Hujiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically BECAUSE he has so many floats it seems like most of his range will just fold to this bet. I have a value hand and want value so it seems like checking is better?

Check raise? Check call?

I learned that it is almost always better to bet for value then to slow play with a made hand that's why I stated that betting the turn is better.
The reasoning here is that yes you might get an extra bet on the turn if you check to him, but betting the turn and betting the river might you give a chance to win a big pot if he has an Ax type holding. Be aware that is is a three bet pot which makes it also different from normal bet-call type pots where floating is more successful.

Btw I think that 3 Betting A9o now and then is ok against a LAG player who probably also tries to steal a ton is ok.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I generally agree with TJ here, and I feel pre is pretty far outside of what you want to be 3betting here. If he's not going to fold tons of his range pre, and he's tough to play against post, I would just play a more standard polarized 3bet range here of something like TT+/AQ+/A2s-A5s. You can start adding other stuff in if you want but I assume we're playing around 100bb deep so esp OOP I'd keep it simple.

And that doesn't mean I'm flatting. I'm just folding the offsuit Ax that can't make broadway.

As played, post is totally fine imo. This isn't a typical board where a good player is floating IP in a 3b pot. It favors our range pretty heavily (esp if we're 3betting so much Ax), so I don't think I'd usually check here with the information given.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder what you think about merged 3betting here? That is what I do against bad lags.

So here, given emphasis on talented, maybe 3bet top 10%, something like: [99+, ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, AJo+, KQo] Given he will call wide, our equity against his calling range is high.

I would bet turn too, but based game flow rather than math: If we check lag usually bets turn, now given scary board there are many bad cards on the river, and if he barrels river we are just guessing if we can call or should we fold. And given he is lag we are tempted to call. And later if we do range analysis, we see that calling was quite stupid. This is probably more a micro player thingy.

Last edited:
B

bark9188

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ehhh I hate calling that raise PF. There is a good chance I fold but if I'm playing I am 3 betting as well. On the flop I may have bet a bit more, maybe in the $100 range.

Otherwise, I think you played it fine.

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely played it fine. You want to keep building the pot with your 2 pair, there are times you will be bluffing here so you want to keep 2 pairs in your value range especially on this board where it's likely he has some type of draw.

I think your bet sizing are spot on as well.

Organize a Home Poker Game