Pre-Flop: (€0.06) Hero is BB with K 8
1 fold, BTN raises to €0.10, 1 fold, Hero calls €0.06

Flop: (€0.22) 4 9 K (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (€0.22) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets €0.16, BTN raises to €0.44, Hero raises to €1.26, BTN calls €0.82

River: (€2.74) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets €0.97, BU folds

No info on the villain. What turn raising range would you assign to villain?
How would you play this hand?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think JTs, QJs, ATs to AQs, maybe some offsuit combinations..but most likely a flush draw that didn't get there. I think you played the hand well and may even have possibly got a better hand to fold here with the action on the turn. You may have found some more value by betting on the flop, but villain may have just folded.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think JTs, QJs, ATs to AQs, maybe some offsuit combinations..but most likely a flush draw that didn't get there. I think you played the hand well and may even have possibly got a better hand to fold here with the action on the turn. You may have found some more value by betting on the flop, but villain may have just folded.

I think key reason I raised on the turn is that villain range should have more air/draws than value hands as he checked the flop.

He could call with weaker flush draw IP even if I re-raise, so I don't mind bloat the pot OOP. I am not sure my river bet actually, maybe check back to induce busted draw to bluff. Or bet larger to get paid from bluff catcher hands like QQ and weak K that villain decides to raise OTT.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Big Blind defense

Run It Once Poker, Hold'em No Limit - €0.02/€0.04 - 4 players
Hand delivered by CardsChat

UTG: €7.27 (182 bb)
BU: €4.34 (109 bb)
SB: €2.58 (65 bb)
BB (Hero): €5.02 (126 bb)

Pre-Flop: (€0.06) Hero is BB with K 8
1 fold, BTN raises to €0.10, 1 fold, Hero calls €0.06

Flop: (€0.22) 4 9 K (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (€0.22) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets €0.16, BTN raises to €0.44, Hero raises to €1.26, BTN calls €0.82

River: (€2.74) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets €0.97, BU folds

No info on the villain. What turn raising range would you assign to villain?
How would you play this hand?

Hi there quant1986, how do you do? Thank you for sharing your hand with the CardsChat community! Very nice one!
Well, first thing I would like to say is that I don't love calling from the BB versus BTN in a situation where I have a 2.5x preflop raise. I don't hate calling either, I just don't do it very often. I would be calling K8s at the micros to defend the big blind something like 20% of times. The rest of times I would be 3betting or folding. (80% of times).
Once we decide to defend the Big Blind versus Button opener, we gotta be aware that ranges here are very dynamic most of times: Button will have strong hands such as AK, KQ, KJ, AA, KK, QQ, etc but Button will also have a bunch of weaker hands such as all the Aces suited, all the Kings suited, J8, J9, JT, 98, 76, etc.
In spite of the Big Blind/Hero also have a dynamic range, it will never have the strongest portion of the range. Big Blind will never have AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, AA, KK, QQ and JJ in its range, because Big Blind would be 3betting preflop more often than calling.
The Range that calls from the Big Blind in a situation like this is usually wide as the button range, so, IMO this is a breakeven spot, where the BTN has a slight advantage upon the BB.
The way it was played was fine. When both Hero and Villain check flop, it seems that nobody has a very strong value hand. When you check-raise turn and Villain calls it should have something in its range. Maybe even a better king such as KT.
When the river brings a double pair and you bet again, Villain folds. I believe Villain would have nothing here most of times, because it is a very dry board.
Many players would never fold KT, KJ, KQ in a situation like this, because you didn't raise preflop, so you don't have AK, KQ in your range. The great majority of the population would never fold any 9x here and the boats NEVER!
At the micro-stakes, nobody with a pocket 4's or 3's in a situation like this would fold. No two pair, so it is more likely that in the turn Villain had a flush draw and decided to bluff it. When it misses the flush draw in the river it simply gave up. I hope it helps you!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre flop was standard.
Flop, I'm betting here. I think TP 8 kicker is too weak to check back.
Turn, bet was ok since you checked earlier, but when the pot escalates you are playing blind with a mediocre hand. I'm not sure I would call the raise. Your really hoping opponent has a flush draw or a small pair or a random 9.
River bet, but I'm checking there. Almost everything that can call beats you. The only positive is you may have bluffed out a bigger King.

I like straight forward play. Getting fancy for no real reason just puts you in weird spots where you can't really on the information your getting from opponents.