$25 NLHE 6-max: 25NL - River Bluff Shenanigans?

U

Unkinhead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious on what the forums thoughts are on the following hand on ACR. In retrospect, personally I think I would have liked to call here because I think he has more bluffs than value hands that just flats the BB when I'm often just squeezing here in the small...anyways, i'm interested to hear your thoughts:

Hand #105181744 - Holdem(No Limit) - $0.10/$0.25 - 2019/08/30 02:01:59 UTC
Freeburg 6-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: RamenDoodles ($10.10)
Seat 2: jcalvacca1977 ($24.33)
Seat 3: FatCarpMD ($26.11)
Seat 4: SouthWest137 ($25.71)
Seat 6: unkinheadwins ($13.29)
unkinheadwins posts the small blind $0.10
RamenDoodles posts the big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to unkinheadwins [9h Ac]
jcalvacca1977 folds
FatCarpMD folds
SouthWest137 folds
unkinheadwins raises $0.65 to $0.75
RamenDoodles calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [2h 8h Ad]
Main pot $1.43 | Rake $0.07
unkinheadwins checks
RamenDoodles bets $0.75
unkinheadwins calls $0.75
*** TURN *** [2h 8h Ad] [Tc]
Main pot $2.85 | Rake $0.15
unkinheadwins checks
RamenDoodles bets $2.25
unkinheadwins calls $2.25
*** RIVER *** [2h 8h Ad Tc] [2c]
Main pot $7.13 | Rake $0.37
unkinheadwins checks
RamenDoodles bets $6.35 and is all-in
unkinheadwins folds
Uncalled bet ($6.35) returned to RamenDoodles
RamenDoodles does not show
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $7.13 | Rake $0.25 | JP Fee $0.12
Board [2h 8h Ad Tc 2c]
Seat 1: RamenDoodles did not show and won $7.13
Seat 2: jcalvacca1977 folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet
Seat 3: FatCarpMD folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet
Seat 4: SouthWest137 folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet
Seat 6: unkinheadwins (small blind) folded on the River

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have continued betting the turn, but if you are going to check, its a mandatory check-call down and get to showdown, when you are playing this 40 BB poker blind vs. blind. Sure sometimes he will show you a monster like AT, A8, A2, 88 or even 22 for rivered quads, but there are so many hands, he can be bluffing with, and sometimes you are chopping the pot with A3-A7 or another A9. I dont think, he has AJ-AK or TT very often, because those hands would mostly look to 3-bet preflop, although if he is bad and passive, that might not always be true.

Last edited:
N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not that I am qualified to provide good analysis... but I'm wondering why OP chose to check-call the flop after making top pair (even with a questionable kicker) and the turn rather than keep the betting lead on the flop (after being pre-flop aggressor)? He could have bet for value on the bet and the turn and then see what happens on the river. At least if OP leads the betting, he has the opportunity to win the hand twice without showdown. Can also bet the river and can fold to a raise on the river if villain chooses to raise.

As it stands, if OP is simply check-calling the flop and turn and showing no strength after being pre-flop aggressor, then OP is giving the villain a green light to bluff you off the pot (or even take down the pot with middle or low pair). To check-call all the way to the river is indicating either a massive hand or weakness on the part of the OP. I am bringing to question OP's plays on the first 2 streets which seems to set up what happened on the river.

Last edited:
G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this case you played 3 times from PF, interesting place.
The board has a medium dry structure.
It does not block the color from above and that is quite good, since we could try to represent it.
The weakness of your 9 as a kicker is compensated by the fact that you discount a street, by the scale that BB might be looking for.
Also on the turn protects you from ghost wheels.
The bet sizes in the flop ahnd turn were approximately 50% and 80% of the pot and you find half of your initial stack.
The T-street that appears on the table neutralizes your Ax 9 60% of the time and increases the probability of a draw.
Then we have AJ combos; AQ; AK that should be included as the villain's lanterns, as they should have resurfaced in the preflop, so BB is less likely to have them.
When the villain bets on the turn, we should probably include a higher pair with a color project in their range, and maybe some doubles or sets flooded by chance.
In the river the 2 curves and now we are in a particular situation.
As I said before, ten protects it 60% of the time. We have several combos of villain lanterns and some sets or double pairs better.
All of his ax combos no longer work and now, after the push, we most likely expect better doubles or sets.
In Rio, I think it's a verification situation. We should have a better way in the kicker to try to catch him, but as we are, the long-term call moves away from the profitable area.
Greetings.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The problem with making continuous barrels with this hand is that, basically we would be eliminating all their lantern combos (AJ; AQ; AK) and we are isolating ourselves with stronger hands.
Maybe if we re-turned on the turn we could be getting more information about its implicit, but we would still be ready for a check-fold on the river.
Playing a speculative hand like A9 can serve for an xc strategy in order to explode the lanterns and take care of our stack.

C

Cash2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! In this hand, I would play a check-raise on the flop in order to check the possible range of this opponent. If he called, then I would bet on the turn and fold, if he make to reraise. Think it’s much better to put pressure on opponent, than to call his barrels and fold on the river, giving him this bank.