villian CHECK
hero CHECK

River (Pot: $533)

3c 8h 7d 7h 5s
villian ALL-IN $418

hero CALL

Showdown:
villian shows KdKc and wins

Villian is a competent and aggressive player (somewhere between a LAG and TAG). He has been squeezing a lot from the blinds and double barrelling a lot, and getting it through for the most part as the table had mostly passive players.

I put him on a range of AQ+ and 1010+ when he 3bet from the BB. I don't think his range changes a lot on the turn, as he would be checking most of his pairs and A highs since neither of us should be hitting that board. On the river, I felt that he could be shoving with his A high combos a decent % of the time. Could I have folded Jacks to his river shove, considering I have more than 50% equity on the river against his range? Is there anything I could have done better on any street? I would appreciate some feedback or advice on my play. Thanks.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was the nit calling flop and checking turn and acting behind on the river?

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine.
It's really tough here, all his bluffs should continue on the turn, like AKs.
I can't blame you for calling here.

S

sumsush1711

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was the nit calling flop and checking turn and acting behind on the river?

Sorry, the nit only had $80 leading to the flop so he called the $80 on the flop and was all in. Basically after the flop the main pot is $493 and the side pot is $40.

S

sumsush1711

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine.
It's really tough here, all his bluffs should continue on the turn, like AKs.
I can't blame you for calling here.

Thanks for the feedback!

N

NickNation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a cooler, calling it down with an over pair seems fine to me... hard to get away from, don't beat yourself up over it

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, the nit only had $80 leading to the flop so he called the $80 on the flop and was all in. Basically after the flop the main pot is $493 and the side pot is $40.
I think in this case you can find a fold in cash game as villain is unlikely to bluff multiway as the short-stack nit could have hands like 99-QQ or AK, not sure 65s in his preflop calling range.

If you believe BB could squeeze with A4s/A5s/AQo/TT against your UTG open, I think you could just 4bet preflop to 160 and fold to 5bet given the stack. Calling is fine but when it becomes 4-way , I would tend to play very cautiously. And villain may not choose to cbet with AKo/AQo.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The turn check by everyone was very confusing, and I would have been inclined to call the river shove at that point, esp if I thought villain was capable of bluffing with AK/AQ.

Side note: Hands like this (overpair v overpair) are why one shouldn’t play too high of stakes for your bankroll, as you have to be willing to lose these from time to time.

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have been a little concerned with the board considering that you mentioned that the face-up cards were 3, 8, 7, 7, 5.

I never fold Jacks preflop but whether I should continue the hand past the flop or not depends on what's on the board and who bets.

Even though you were beat by Kings, it could have been worse if he had 9-6 or 6-4. Maybe even threes.

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your image? Does villain ever 3 bet a suited connector with a 7 here? I would be a little suspicious of the turn check by a villain who has run over the rest of the table with aggression. Thats a big bet to call down with JJ. I think you could find a fold here. You'll have better spots.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold on the river is real. Yes you have advantage over range, but ask itself question, as often he will go in all-in with AK and with AQ, i.e. monetize hand in bluff? And how real is this action? Do you have notes on it? If not, fold.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would let it go preflop based on the description here. Best case you are flipping against AK, worst case you have 2 outs, you can find a better spot and don't need to get stacked against a nitty 3bet range