$20 NLHE Full Ring: setting up my calling range.

L

limakpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone i am slowly getting back to poker and starting from building solid preflop hand selection.

My default raising range is solid, but I have a problem with what hands choose to call an open from EP or MP and why ( as i am not yet so comfortable with calling and getting into the flop with medicore hands) .

Take this hand for example where i don't have any information on villain:

9 max
UTG 1 limps 1BB
UTG2 folds
MP1 folds
MP2 isolates to 5 BB (effective stack 100BB)
HJ folds
CO folds (he posted 1 bb for missing the blinds)
BTN (hero with KJo) there is 8bb at the moment it costs me 5 bb to call
SB
BB

so what is your default here and why >? against unknown opponent what hands do you decide to call and why? With hands like KJo 2/3 of the time you miss (with no idea how to make the profit) and 1/3 of the time you hit, things can get dangerous on Kxx or Jxx flops, so i guess most of the time you can only win small pots with these hand. so overall my default here is fold.

so what hands do you choose to call a raise from ep or mp in a full ring and 6 max and why.?

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I easily fold KJos in that spot. Primarily because you are going to be an equity dog to the raiser and KJ is a trouble hand when you never know if your top pair is good. The raiser will have AK and AJ here a fair amount and it's going to cost you to find that out.
You also have to consider you are not closing the action. You can still get squeezed by the blinds AND the original limper is still to act. Plenty of people still limp raise A A from early position.
When you have info that the original limper does that habitually and that the raiser isolates quite wide and there are passive players in the blinds then you can think about raising or calling.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the limper is a fish we need to be raising here

Mp2 if a good player will widen his range.

We can take it down pre which is always nice or go into future streets with position against a fish and someone who may have a weaker range

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although raising here is in my playbook, I'm not raising without better information on the players, it's just reckless. We don't need to do this against unknowns there are so many better spots to be had once you know something about the players.
This is 20$ NL full ring, so presumably not fast poker, so you can wait for the information and don't need to rush in when you have little idea what you are up against.
Wait an couple of rotations and you might find the raiser is a nit who can't raise limpers without JJ+. He is in MP he still has a lot of players behind, he's not going to be that wide.