$2 NLHE Full Ring: KK versus TAG reg, villain shoves on wet turn card.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $2.12 (106 bb)
UTG+1: $2.16 (108 bb)
MP: $1.11 (56 bb)
MP+1: $2.26 (113 bb)
LP: $2.39 (120 bb)
CO: $0.75 (38 bb)
BU: $0.55 (28 bb)
SB: $1.98 (99 bb)
BB: $0.69 (35 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with K K
Hero raises to $0.06, UTG+1 calls $0.06, 4 players fold, BTN calls $0.06, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.21) T 5 7 (3 players)
Hero bets $0.13, UTG+1 calls $0.13, BU folds

Turn: ($0.47) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.30, UTG+1 raises to $1.97 (all-in), Hero.....???

Calls the raise behind me, think he has a playable hand could be suited face-cards, PP somewhat excluding QQ+ and AK,AQ

flop comes and its great for his range so I bet 2/3 pot, when he calls I think he can be on a number of draws, ,J9,98, he could have diamond draws, JQs he can have top pair with hands like AT,KT,QT,JT,T9. Can also have some marginal middle pair hands like 76s, 65, even a hand like 99,88 or some sets like 77,55. Turn is an ugly card but I have good FD and overpair, I bet 2/3 again and villain shoves all in , so I am thinking he has hands like QJdd, J9,maybe 87, the sets and possibly a hand like top pair with A of diamonds although this guy seems rather tight so maybe not that hand. Maybe T9 with a diamond? what do you think. Villain was playing rather tight and have not seen him make any plays like this or many plays at all for that matter.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode II: UTG vs UTG+1

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 9 players
Hand delivered by Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $2.12 (106 bb)
UTG+1: $2.16 (108 bb)
MP: $1.11 (56 bb)
MP+1: $2.26 (113 bb)
LP: $2.39 (120 bb)
CO: $0.75 (38 bb)
BU: $0.55 (28 bb)
SB: $1.98 (99 bb)
BB: $0.69 (35 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with K K
Hero raises to $0.06, UTG+1 calls $0.06, 4 players fold, BTN calls $0.06, 2 players fold

Flop: ($0.21) T 5 7 (3 players)
Hero bets $0.13, UTG+1 calls $0.13, BU folds

Turn: ($0.47) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.30, UTG+1 raises to $1.97 (all-in), Hero.....???

Calls the raise behind me, think he has a playable hand could be suited face-cards, PP somewhat excluding QQ+ and AK,AQ

flop comes and its great for his range so I bet 2/3 pot, when he calls I think he can be on a number of draws, ,J9,98, he could have diamond draws, JQs he can have top pair with hands like AT,KT,QT,JT,T9. Can also have some marginal middle pair hands like 76s, 65, even a hand like 99,88 or some sets like 77,55. Turn is an ugly card but I have good FD and overpair, I bet 2/3 again and villain shoves all in , so I am thinking he has hands like QJdd, J9,maybe 87, the sets and possibly a hand like top pair with A of diamonds although this guy seems rather tight so maybe not that hand. Maybe T9 with a diamond? what do you think. Villain was playing rather tight and have not seen him make any plays like this or many plays at all for that matter.

Hello there Casey55, thank you very much for posting such a hard hand for analysis.
Considering this is 2 NLHE, and a Full Ring Table, in the best case scenario Villain would be calling with 15% range from UTG+1, although we believe its range to be ever shorter/tighter:

QQ-22, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, AQo-AJo, KQo

It doesn't have KK because you block it and you should exclude half of Kx combos that Villain could have here. Almost never it has AA and AK but we never know for sure.
Preflop is default, you raise to 3x and get UTG+1 and BTN calls and we go for a 3-way pot.

Flop:

Against 15% range you will have nearly 80% equity to be c-betting this flop. The problem is that now, both UTG+1 and BTN could have TT, 55 and 77 and if they check-raise you here on the flop you are in strange strings.
You c-bet and UTG+1 calls and BTN folds, which is good for us. The problem here is that when UTG+1 calls you it almost never has TT, 55, 77, because those very hands would be raising here a lot of times for protection versus the flush draw and knowing that your range is too strong to be folding here (AA, KK, QQ, AKs, etc).
When UTG+1 calls your bet it cappes its range for flush draws+straight draw types (less straight draws) and some pocket pair such as 88, 99, TT, JJ and QQ, since UTG+1 doesn't have KK and AA on its range.
The bet is good because we still have a very strong value hand that also needs a little protection, because we have the blocker of diamond reducing the ammount of diamonds on Villain's range.

Turn:

It completes the flush with the 8 of Diamonds and you go for a 2/3 pot. It is okay your bet, because you have a very strong value hand and you are drawing to the 2nd nut flush.
When UTG+1 raises all-in here, it polarizes its capped range quite a bit: either it has a flush or it has a 'bluff' (bluffing some value hand such as TPTK, Pocket Pair)
We believe that no player would be shoving here versus UTG, when completes a flush with TT, 55, 77, 88, 87, T7, etc, because those hands could be shoving already dominated by flushes, since both UTG and UTG+1 will not present many medium straights right now.
Without information that Villain uses to bluff to much some single Ace of Diamond, and even so, it is an easy fold. We could be already dead for such flushes with the Ace of Diamond and sometimes Villain will shove just the Ace of Diamond and hit it on the river (a balanced player, rare at the micros).
Considering that Villain is a Tight player and we know how unbalanced those use to be at the micros (polarizing their ranges only for value), becomes a very easy fold.
When it completes a flush, versus a Tight ABC player, you should only continue firing if you had AA with the combo of diamonds, drawing to the nut flush.
In this case you should call here in spite of anything. I don't see many bluffs here.
Another line to take is, since you are blocking some combinations of AdKd, because you are holding the King of Diamonds, your hand is well enough protected against flushes and you could be checking turn to be either check-calling if Villain gives you odds for river or check-folding, because if you check and even so UTG+1 goes all in, it becomes non-sense for her/him.
I don't know, I already saw some Tight Players raising sets when it completes flush-straights in the turn versus EP. However, it is 'a very close spot'.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that the opponent's cold call range is 66+, AT+, T9s+. I don't think he made a straight or a flush on the turn. I think he has a set T, 7 or 8. In any case, we are here "far ahead/far behind" and no matter how difficult it is to better fold the КК

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is just a nasty spot. A more aggro player might do that with AdT having top pr and the nut flush draw now.

On a good day, I would fold.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There is no need to over think this spot imo. That's a fold.

Yup, if we decide to overthink this spot it would be at least 4 pages of text, at minimum.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see you need to bet 63% pot on the turn with this hand. I would rather use that sizing with some low equity hand + small suited ace flush , and check the rest of the range. Or sometimes use 25% for most hands if I think villain overfold to that size.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, the turn is a fairly clear check-call. 8d just complete way to many hands, so its time to think about your defenses and not going broke, when you are behind. As played its an insta fold. As someone said, no need to overthink this. Just muck your hand and move on. At 2NL only some crazy maniac would ever show up with a bluff here. You describe the Villain as a straight forward TAG, and these are... well... straight forward. When he ships it in on the turn, he basically has the nuts, and you are probably drawing dead. At the very minimum he has a set or a small flush, and you are drawing to 7-9 outs.

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm tough., this looks like a set to me.
I don't believe that he pushes a made flush or that he can have a made straight if he's a TAG.
Makes sense for him to probably hold 55, 77, 88 or even 1010.

I like your bets and sizings, and your turn bet since you hold the Kd (check/call it would have been fine too) but you have to fold on his shove I think. If he's drawing with something it's probably with Ad10 but did he call with A10o pre? Unlikely. And you can lose from so many hands.
Fold

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe that he pushes a made flush

I tend to agree, that the nut flush probably play a bit slower, because with that hand he dont need to be scared of anything. With any other strong hand however he dont want to see another diamond rool of on the river, and therefore he just pile it in. Could be a set, could be a small flush like Td9d, could be J9s for a straight, or could be two pair like T8s or 87s.

It does not matter however, what exactly it is. All, that matter is, that this board is all over a setminers range, and he is never doing this with a hand, KK is ahead off. Even if our flush outs are live, we are not getting the right price, so there is no other option than to let him have his "protection" and win a relatively small pot.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything was fine up to the turn for me. I'm definitely not barreling that turn card. As played, easy fold. There are very few scenarios you are ahead here, and all would basically be villain being terrible and having no idea what he's doing.