$2 NLHE 6-max: Should I Have called With 66?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is fine. As in the other hand, you posted, there are two overcards to your pair, and in this case two opponents as well. Even if the guy betting is on an airball bluff, the guy behind could still overcall with a slightly better bad pair, that he checked on the flop for pot control. Sticking around with hands, that only beat a bluff, and have little hope to improve, is typically a great way to set money on fire.

Even when you open a hand like 66, a lot of the value come from picking up the blinds uncontested or flopping a set. A pair as bad as 66 dont have a lot of showdown value, and sometimes you will get bluffed out of the pot, which is ok.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Please take a look at the replay below and tell me what you'd a done here. I folded a pair of sixes, but not sure if that was the right move.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4qdlQtf

Thank U 4 posting.

In most low limit games straight forward play works best. Check flop, fold turn is as straight forward as it gets.

Here are some questions, the answers to these, allow us to take more imaginative lines.

Has it been common on this table for multiple callers?

How wide are the ranges with multiple callers?

What about these specific villains what are their ranges?

How aggressive are our villains? Vs c-bet? Vs check? With what range?

We have more AA KK AK in our range than either of our villains. Will they respect that fact?

Will SB fold KX to 3 streets of betting?

Would raising the turn make villain consider KK as your hand?
What size would be best to give this thought?
What river bluff sizing would we need to get a fold?

While it is true that 98% of the time the answers to these questions in 2 nl will lead you to play as you did it behooves us to learn to ask these questions now so they are habitual when we move up.

Hope this helps

:):):)

Last edited:
S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 posting.

In most low limit games straight forward play works best. Check flop, fold turn is as straight forward as it gets.

Here are some questions, the answers to these, allow us to take more imaginative lines.

We have more AA KK AK in our range than either of our villains. Will they respect that fact?

While it is true that 98% of the time the answers to these questions in 2 nl will lead you to play as you did it behooves us to learn to ask these questions now so they are habitual when we move up.

Hope this helps

Love that answer eetenor. Gives me thought for the past (when I played the hand), the present and the future (for any hand going forward).

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is fine. Calling is fine also if V is loose. Sometimes he'll have picked up clubs, sometimes he'll have air...but you're beat very often here.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your line. Depending on villains stats I could see a CBet being profitable as it’s a superdry board and yup have a decent amount of kings in your range.

Playing this disciplined, is great!!!

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You made a good laydown.

Sometimes they are semi-bluffing with a flush draw or bluffing with Ax on the turn, but with a player behind you and with a lot of bad river cards, this would be an unprofitable call.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that after checking the flop, your fold on the turn is good.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 posting.

Hope this helps

Absolutely. You're getting out of the hand seeing the flop and turn for the bare minimum with a small pocket pair. The blinds check to you to induce your continuation and once they see you don't they bet their hand on the turn. Good fold.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My take on the hand..

When we raise a low pr from UTG we need to be C-Betting flops... especially K-X-X, A-X-X type flops... ones that we can 'rep' and that would 'likely' hit our hand.
You can easily rep a King here and will often take it down with a C-Bet.

As Fred Flintstone would say "Bet.. b-b-b-b-Bettttt!"

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Please take a look at the replay below and tell me what you'd a done here. I folded a pair of sixes, but not sure if that was the right move.

Hello stil370, thanks for sharing it.
The preflop raise is fine, but when we do get called for a player in position it will be very hard to play low pocket pairs out of position, so no problem if our line here is check-folding most of boards that either we take a set or a very good equity for bluffing, which was not the particular case.
One more thing is not to open 22-66 from UTG a 100% of times because it will cost us a lot in the long run.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think you can just bet 1/3 and get some folds 3 way I know we've been taught to try and hit a set with these kind of pairs of fold but ..
1. this is good for your range because your EP which means to them you can have AA KK AK KQ they cannot have any of that Maybe KQ
2. it looks strong you betting into 2 ppl from ep they might just fold out 77-88 A9 98s (depending on how likely they are to call 3 way)
3. you can barrel on almost any turn card or just give up if your not confident enough to rep hands like AA KK AK KQ (the 3 is a card you can barrel on)

I dont think you should be calling turn players if they have a strong hand like a set they're often looking to x-raise flop and because no-one bet he didn't have that opportunity
there is a chance he thinks you dont have anything because you would of bet most of your stronger hands
so now he's either betting all of his sets 33 99 or underpairs like 77-TT or K9s A9s QJs most of which beats us yeah he could have 22-55 but more combos of the other stuff that beats us because 33's have quads now so we should fold

my main point is we should bet the flop it might not work against calling stations but against thinking players they know you should have enough hands that crushes their range 1/3 here is a size that works often enough here too

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you can just bet 1/3 and get some folds 3 way I know we've been taught to try and hit a set with these kind of pairs of fold but ..
1. this is good for your range because your EP which means to them you can have AA KK AK KQ they cannot have any of that Maybe KQ
2. it looks strong you betting into 2 ppl from ep they might just fold out 77-88 A9 98s (depending on how likely they are to call 3 way)
3. you can barrel on almost any turn card or just give up if your not confident enough to rep hands like AA KK AK KQ (the 3 is a card you can barrel on)

I dont think you should be calling turn players if they have a strong hand like a set they're often looking to x-raise flop and because no-one bet he didn't have that opportunity
there is a chance he thinks you dont have anything because you would of bet most of your stronger hands
so now he's either betting all of his sets 33 99 or underpairs like 77-TT or K9s A9s QJs most of which beats us yeah he could have 22-55 but more combos of the other stuff that beats us because 33's have quads now so we should fold

my main point is we should bet the flop it might not work against calling stations but against thinking players they know you should have enough hands that crushes their range 1/3 here is a size that works often enough here too

My thoughts exactly! Nice description.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello stil370, thanks for sharing it.
The preflop raise is fine, but when we do get called for a player in position it will be very hard to play low pocket pairs out of position, so no problem if our line here is check-folding most of boards that either we take a set or a very good equity for bluffing, which was not the particular case.
One more thing is not to open 22-66 from UTG a 100% of times because it will cost us a lot in the long run.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Hey Aballinamonion,
I went back to this replay today a few months later after i had posted itt just to take a look and I will remember that last sentence you wrote.