$2 NLHE 6-max: Folded to 1st raise with 9/Jacks in CO

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if I was too passive here? Call, raise or fold? what do you think?
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/1qdIL0b

snapfold.

If you start flatting that hand what other hands do you start flatting in that spot? suddenly you end up having like a 40 Vpip.

The hand plays ok postflop if IP but since you're not last to act preflop nor postflop the risk of playing it is to high. Also any observing player will start squeezing you once he realizes you flat to kuch. If anything you can 3bet that hand from time to time against a player with a high Vpip, but then again if we start 3bettig crap like that you end up 3betting like 20%. And even if you had the same hand on the button I'd fold to anything but maybe a CO open with a high Vpip, as J9 will often be dominated.

Keep in mind you want to make nutted hands, <secondnuts will loose you money.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If nobody had entered the pot before you, its fine to open J9s from CO, but when someone else is already in the pot, you need to tighten your range quite a bit. This is because, you either have to 3-bet and risk much more chips, or you call and have no fold equity. The blinds might seem insignificant, but a huge part of the value in opening up a pot is the chance to pick up the blinds uncontested. A good winrate in cash-game poker is 10 BB / 100, and when you pick up the blinds, you just won 150 BB / 100.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
snapfold.

If you start flatting that hand what other hands do you start flatting in that spot? suddenly you end up having like a 40 Vpip.

The hand plays ok postflop if IP but since you're not last to act preflop nor postflop the risk of playing it is to high. Also any observing player will start squeezing you once he realizes you flat to kuch. If anything you can 3bet that hand from time to time against a player with a high Vpip, but then again if we start 3bettig crap like that you end up 3betting like 20%. And even if you had the same hand on the button I'd fold to anything but maybe a CO open with a high Vpip, as J9 will often be dominated.

Keep in mind you want to make nutted hands, <secondnuts will loose you money.

Thanks Luepso. Your analysis is well taken and understood. And also im learning to assess each situation as being unique and then act accordingly.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If nobody had entered the pot before you, its fine to open J9s from CO, but when someone else is already in the pot, you need to tighten your range quite a bit. This is because, you either have to 3-bet and risk much more chips, or you call and have no fold equity. The blinds might seem insignificant, but a huge part of the value in opening up a pot is the chance to pick up the blinds uncontested. A good winrate in cash-game poker is 10 BB / 100, and when you pick up the blinds, you just won 150 BB / 100.

Thanks again for your advice fundiver. Your critiques of my hands have literally changed the way I play the game. For years i have played this game without the kind of insight you have provided me.
Sometimes it takes me a day or 2 for everything to synch but when it does I take one step forward and am happy to say that I am getting better results because of it.
Ive also started to really understand the basic probabilities involved with holdem and that too has really helped my development. Your tutelage is much appreciated

Folding in Poker