$2 NLHE 6-max: Call on river or give up? Or give up sooner?

R

roshdc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, had this hand earlier.

How would you play this? Would you call on the river here?

I was concerned with a higher pair due to the three bet so I decided to stab and then just check call.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 128.5 BB
SB: 546 BB
BB: 130.5 BB
UTG: 52 BB
MP: 36.5 BB
Hero (CO): 100.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T T

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN raises to 10.5 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 7.5 BB

Flop: (22.5 BB, 2 players) 6 6 7
Hero bets 11 BB, BTN calls 11 BB

Turn: (44.5 BB, 2 players) 3
Hero checks, BTN bets 21 BB, Hero calls 21 BB

River: (86.5 BB, 2 players) 6
Hero checks, BTN bets 42 BB

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Perhaps a 4b fold play might be best if this guy is aggressive on the B.

M

Mercurius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to shove the turn / river given how you played and hope that scares them off, but given how it played out I think they have JJ+ so you're stuck.

A better line is probably check raise / check call the flop. Your bet on the flop doesn't do much as it's pretty clear neither of you have a 6 form the pre-flop action, and if you did have 66/77/67s, you wouldn't be leading it, you'd be looking to slow play.

The check raise is the only way you're scaring villain off their hand given they probably have a better overpair or AK and are happy to float you on the basis they know you don't show up here often with a 6 or 7. They may also float you if you've exhibited this tendency before (leading OOP on flop and then shutting down on future streets if called).

Given your line - if you weren't prepared to lead the turn betting, you have to fold. You can't check call here as you're letting them set the price to see the next card (possibly for free if they check behind) and there's a tonne of rivers that kill you (i.e. any broadway). As it happened, even a low river did for you so should have folded the turn - what river would you have played? Only a T? If so the turn is an insta-fold as you have 4% to hit and you're calling a half pot bet

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call on the flop is alarming, if the opponent is aggressive with jj+, he would raise our bet by half the pot. after our check on the turn and on the river, his big bet looks more like a reluctance to get a call.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the flop donk lead here. It seems like you're trying to have it both ways. When you cold call the 3 bet out of position you're indicating your range is capped (unless you're slow playing a monster but if you really had a monster you'd never check the turn). But then you donk lead flop into an uncapped range showing tons of strength. As soon as V calls once you're kind of in trouble unless you're prepared to triple barrel and really rep the monster. Problem is, this texture doesn't favor you given the action pre. You're really hoping V just folds AQ+ or whatever other junk he may 3 bet here since no one should really have a 6. I'm not crazy about 4 betting TT pre flop here though so I'd play pre the same and x/c flop and turn on this run out. I'd x/eval river and could go either way depending on sizing and reads with calling or folding. His AQ+ will know that it needs to bet to win but not all players will be able to pull the trigger on the river bluff with A high. He may even check back JJ or QQ on occasion saving you tons of money on the river. If V checked back flop or turn I'd bet for value on this run out. This hand is a great example of how powerful position is in poker. Regardless of what V has if he floats your flop lead it puts you in a tough spot where you have to overplay your hand and expose your stack against an uncapped range or play face up and maybe still expose your stack or give up with a fairly strong hand that can't stand the heat.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, hard situation with TT for hero. I also don't like playing donk bet on the flop, because opponent play good sizing of 3bet pre flop and in this situation I would be careful OOP. When hero play donk bet on the flop, opponent can play slow play or he can play raise with better pocket pair JJ+. I prefer playing this pocket TT by check call on the flop and I want to see what opponent will do on the turn. If we check on the turn and opponent sometimes will play check back on the turn it means usually that he has two over card and he don't want risk too many chips with two over cards. If opponent play next bet on the turn I think we can call the turn card. I prefer playing this hand passively. On the river I also play check and on the river I probably decided give up our pocket pair when opponent will play third bet, because it seems that opponent has better pocket pair. I don't think so that opponent will play 3 bets by three streets on the flop, on the turn and on the river with hands like AQ or Ak. For me it seems that opponent has better pocket pair. GL :)

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice hand.

Does depend on how the opponent played hands before this one.

There’s nothing on the board that hits either of you dramatically.
You used 32 bb betting and calling the flop and turn bet.
Maybe a better line would be to check flop and reraise the half pot flop bet to 33bb and fold to a shove, or reraise his 3/4 bet to 34bb and fold to a shove.

His bet sizing does say AA,KK,QQ,JJ
But could just as easily be AKo-AJo (or a lot worse) depending on the player.

Assuming he doesn’t shove and calls your reraise instead, what range do we put him on then?
I believe AA-JJ will shove your reraise on the flop with that board a lot of the time.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi, had this hand earlier.

How would you play this? Would you call on the river here?

I was concerned with a higher pair due to the three bet so I decided to stab and then just check call.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 128.5 BB
SB: 546 BB
BB: 130.5 BB
UTG: 52 BB
MP: 36.5 BB
Hero (CO): 100.5 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has T T

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, BTN raises to 10.5 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 7.5 BB

Flop: (22.5 BB, 2 players) 6 6 7
Hero bets 11 BB, BTN calls 11 BB

Turn: (44.5 BB, 2 players) 3
Hero checks, BTN bets 21 BB, Hero calls 21 BB

River: (86.5 BB, 2 players) 6
Hero checks, BTN bets 42 BB

You should be checking this lower flop to the Villain more often than donking, because although it has a low structure, Villain/BTN still has all the JJ+ on its range, plus this flop is very dry, which means that both players are not with a lot of bluffs on their ranges.
When BTN bets OTR it is a real good price, but IMO, it is a big mistake to be calling this down, at the micros specially (2 NLHE to 10 NLHE).

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa