BU: $5.17 (103 bb)
SB: $5.44 (109 bb)
BB: $7.57 (151 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is UTG with J K
Hero raises to $0.15, 1 fold, CO calls $0.15, 1 fold, SB calls $0.13, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.50) 5 J K (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.50) 9 (3 players)
SB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, CO folds, SB raises to $5.29 (all-in), Hero calls $3.79

River: ($11.08) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $11.08 (Rake: $0.46)

Showdown:
SB shows 5 5 (three of a kind, Fives)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 50%, Flop: 79%, Turn: 91%, River: 100%)

UTG (Hero) shows J K (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 50%, Flop: 21%, Turn: 9%, River: 0%)

SB wins $10.62

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunate... would have been better if you missed everything

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop is fine. I don't like your check on the flop.

The money is going in with top 2 vs an underset. Just an unlucky way to lose a stack.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also agree with pre.

Also dislike flop check.

Also dislike turn raise after QT and 99 get there. As stated earlier, in general the money is going in with top 2 pair vs a set but as played we gave a lot of combos a free card in a 3 way pot and now there are very few hands that want to stack off that we can still beat. Maybe JThh, QJhh. We are the PFR though so when we get donk lead into for pot OTT and still get 3 bet it's almost never a good sign. While this hand the V didn't improve on the turn we are only increasing the chances of more hands getting there including 99 and QT by playing this way. If we are stacking off every time we need to also bet flop for value, the added protection is just a bonus.

C

Casey55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a situation where the player type of villain is important, we can fold our 2-pair if villain is a tight or passive player who is showing aggression, against a LAG it is a bit different. On the flop I like a bet, if villain comes over the top we can consider folding to a set. You decide to to check the flop which brings a co-ordinated turn card completing straights this is where it makes the fold easier, villain leads out pot and then 3-bets all in. Against a set we have 4 outs so 8ish%equity to win on the river? not the best. I think the turn card was helping us to fold against villains 3-bet. His range is basically straights and sets Im trying to think what else he could have that we are winning to AJhh,AThh,QJhh maybe AA? Overplayed AK? it seems optimistic that we are ahead given the turn play.

Last edited:
liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop is fine.

Flop: I think it's totally ok to check your range on this board, OOP to one player. Also, even if you don't check range it's good to bet sets (with some bluffs) and check two pair to defend your range. So, to sum it up, I like your check.

Turn: When villain bets OOP to two players, and there is a straight on board, you should raise here extremely tightly. Both villains can have straights and you don't want to develop flop for them. Call here is a correct decision. As played, when second villain shoves, I think it's easy fold, because villains values consist of sets and straight and in general population underbluff this spots.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Leveling Wars, Episode III: The Revenge of the Fish

PokerStars Zoom, Hold'em No Limit - $0.02/$0.05 - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG (Hero): $7.21 (144 bb)
MP: $8.08 (162 bb)
CO: $12.25 (245 bb)
BU: $5.17 (103 bb)
SB: $5.44 (109 bb)
BB: $7.57 (151 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is UTG with J K
Hero raises to $0.15, 1 fold, CO calls $0.15, 1 fold, SB calls $0.13, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.50) 5 J K (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.50) 9 (3 players)
SB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, CO folds, SB raises to $5.29 (all-in), Hero calls $3.79

River: ($11.08) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $11.08 (Rake: $0.46)

Showdown:
SB shows 5 5 (three of a kind, Fives)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 50%, Flop: 79%, Turn: 91%, River: 100%)

UTG (Hero) shows J K (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 50%, Flop: 21%, Turn: 9%, River: 0%)

SB wins $10.62

Hello there Bluebottle88, thanks a lot for posting your hand!

Preflop

We will get 4 combos of KJs preflop, we are deep stacked so it is okay to open 3 blinds out of position.
Depending how "fishy" the players in position are (preflop calling stations), we can be creative and vary our preflop raise from EP accordingly to how often the players in position would call: 3.5 blinds, 4 blinds, even 5 blinds.
Be careful! Some regulars will notice that you are opening to get calls from whales and will either enter to pot trying to outplay you postflop, or they are going to outplay you preflop: a regular who knows a little your game (sample of 200 hands played, give or take), can exploit you preflop by making a 3-bet of 2.5x to 3x versus your 5x raise.
Some loose aggressive players will also try to do it, and then, a great part of your EP range will be in trouble. (We can only call and 4-bet 'safely' with a tiny part of our range AA, KK and AKs. For value. The rest we are speculating a lot about the capacity and ability of our opponent).

Flop

I don't love checking here. I don't love betting here either. We are out of position in relation to the player in the BTN. Nonetheless, if I had to choose between checking and betting here, I guess I would be betting more often.
The size would be something between 1/3 pot to 1/2 pot (If I don't know very well the opponents).
Because we raised preflop we will have all combos of the AA, JJ, KK and 55' on our range and the players who called will not have those. (55 not so much because we don't open 6 combos of low pairs from EP a 100% of times. I don't open).
When we raise from UTG we have a lot of combos of AK, AJ, KQ and KJ that will be dominating the preflop caller's range. Both of them, most of times.
The callers will have in a spot like this more combos of QT, AT, Qx and Ax, we never know. They will have a lot of low and mid pocket pairs, so, IMO, this flop is a bet for value and protection.
Some turns will not make our lives easier, such as Ax, Tx, 9x, another club, spade or hearts, but they are not too much worry. Giving a free card for two player is not a good option either.
Hands that could be checking these flop for inducing bluffs are JJ, KK and 55 with the sets, but, even so, I don't believe will be an optimal check, in a high frequency in a 3-handed pot.
So, SB checks, Hero UTG checks, and BTN checks. They have nothing right? ;)

Turn

Comes a 9 of Hearts, and the player in the SB bets pot size! Remember that this player is a 100 blinds deep or a little more. Remember that it called versus UTG raisor and BTN caller, to play out of position versus two players. The SB range is capped in a situation like this, meaning that it will have ALL THE POCKET PAIRS (22 to JJ sometimes) and some strong broadways. Because SB's range is capped, it will not have many K9s, J9s, K5s, J5s and 95s in its range, it will have almost none of these combos, because many playes do not Cold Call preflop from the SB with a dynamic range (TAG's, NITs, Average Regulars).
When the turn completes a Straight and this guy bets pot, what is it representing, from the logical point a view?

A) Straight?
B) Set?
C) bluff?

If you believe the proper answer is C, good for you. We know that UTG will have more QTs than the SB but it is a very close spot. As I said, SB will not have many QT in its range, because this hand will be mostly dominated by QJ and KQ and your KJ. When the range is capped the player cannot have many combos, thus it will not have bluffs postflop.
When the SB bets a size pot and you have a vey strong value hand (Top Two Pair), and RAISES, you are bluffing! You are trying to represent only QT and Two X Hearts with a Top Pair, Second Pair, and The Sets of K's, J's and maybe 9's (awesome semi-bluff that we can use to balance our very strong value hands, by raising turn in the same frequency we do it with sets and straights. I don't believe Top Two Pair are the best candidate for check-raising turn).
If I am raising my Top Two Pair in a turn when it comes a straight I am bluffing because I could be already dead. If I am raising my sets, I am bluffing because my sets could be nearly dead in the face of a straight (considering BTN player not SB. SB will not have many straights here).

Raised turn with a value hand: raise for value or bluff?

That's your decision, and I respect it, because many players at the micros are weak enough to bluff two pair and sets in a spot where exist a straight and two other players to talk.
When you raise SB in the turn for 3 times pot size, and the player in the BTN CALL/PUSHES and SB calls are you in? IF the player in the BTN calls your raise and only SB Pushes, are you in? IF both BTN and SB calls do you still believe you are ahead? And when the river completes more straights and flushes are you in 3-handed?

IF BTN folds, and SB pushes are you in? Remember that you still have a fair chunk of good stack size, you have more than 100 BB when SB shoves the turn for all-in!
The times you will be ahead here will be minimum, and those are when SB have Two Cards of Hearts plus straight draw (OESD+FD and OESD+FD+TP or SP). It doesn't have it because its range is CAPPED.
The times you will be losing will be the vast majority of times when SB will only appear with hands such as 55, JJ, some crazy KK that it decided to slow preflop 3-handed, 99 and QT (almost never).
So, the turn is a very easy fold! :eek::eek::eek: I don't believe the mass of the population of the micros are creative enough to put an original air bluff like this in the turn, when SB has really nothing to show. (They exist but they are very rare, most players are THINKING, most of times they are thinking wrong, but they have some logic and everybody knows that a set is a very strong hand versus UTG's capped range).
SB also played wrong, because the Set of 5's could be dominated yet for JJ, KK, 99 and QT.
We see that SB turned a value hand into a bluff and the Hero UTG turned a value hand into a bluff. Coincidence?

Now, if you had called the pot size, perhaps you could achieve your equity in the River and kill the SB, for the times it comes a Kx or a Jx in the River.
By calling the turn you can evaluate the river equity again, and decide if you want to call, push or fold versus a capped range. :cool:

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it fine, I tend to agree a flop bet is better than a check. But these 2 hands were destined to get allin unless by some miracle you both slowplayed all the way to that scary Q rivercard. Not realistic, it's a cooler...not much you could do.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer X then I`m holding KK on K72r.

In your situation: still will be some KX JX (less but will be) also QTo and some PP.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Fine and standard open.

Flop
The only hand, you lose to, which he can realistically have, is 55, so on this flop you should feel absolutely golden. Yet you checked, and this is a pretty big mistake. Two pair can easily be drawn out on, and there is no reason to ever slowplay, unless you flop quads or something. Just make a standard bet for value, and be happy to get it in, if he check-raise.

Turn
Now he can have a straight, so your hand got much worse, and yet you decided to raise a pot sized bet from him. This is also a mistake. You f... up the hand by not betting the flop, and now you have to take a more defensive position and try to get to showdown without risking your entire stack.

Conclusion
It sucks to get stacked, but really this hand is just a massive cooler. Sooner or later, against him or someone else, you will have 55, and they will have KJ, on a KJ5 flop, and they will also lose all their money to you. So this is just a wash. It does not matter. The only thing, which matter, is your decision making. And you made two big mistakes in this hand, which was to slowplay on the flop and overplay on the turn. This is, what you need to take away from it.