Poker Players Get your mind right!... Food for thought!

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Players Get your mind right!

1 You can be beaten by a player with lesser skills

Just because you're holding :As: :Ah: it is not guaranteed to hold up

That goes double for :Kc::Ks:, :As::Ks: and :Qc::Qd: :Js::Jd:

It also applies to any hand, not the nuts, on the river

5 The river does count. Winning on the river happens to every player just like losing there. Winning on the river does not diminish the value of the pot

The hand will be contested as long as more than one player is in the hand

You have not won until the cards are shown down - this is at the end of the hand OR everyone else folds

8 While you can accurately determine your opponents pockets - maybe they cannot, they may call your bet having mistaken your better packet pair and beat you on the flop with trip sixes!

The fact that your hand is actually better than your opponent will not magically cause that player to automatically fold

It is not against the rules to be called or bet back at while you hold prime pockets

There is no pre-flop hand guaranteed to win after the flop - not one!

When a player is playing poorly, constantly reminding said player of this may cause him to play well enough to bust you.

When commenting on someone's poor play, comments like "you luckbox, non-playing sob" will not be considered constructive, helpful hints. When you tell someone the story of busting out, "venting" and giving "helpful hints" they don't believe you either.

Sitting in the losers lounge commenting on others play does not make you appear to be a knowledgeable or even as good as those who have not yet busted out.

original quote from "Cool Hand Luke" 1967 starring Paul Newman:
You run one time, you got yourself a set of chains. You run twice you got yourself two sets. You ain't gonna need no third set, 'cause you gonna get your mind right.

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks. I feel we all need to hear something like this every once in a while. At least I do anyway.
Had to Google the movie. Is it worth watching?

Last edited:
NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP already told you - a 1967 movie starring Paul Newman :)

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the whole thing is kinda obvious if u ask me

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just remember, poker involves a lot of variance, positional play, understanding of player archetypes and ranges, and cold-filtered miller genuine draft

QFT

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the whole thing is kinda obvious if u ask me

True, but at least he's making an attempt to make thoughtful, useful, posts. That's more than you can say for most new members who are just free-roll trash.

B

bustme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jepp...I had a downswing today.,.lost 2 buyins in cash game against players with less skills..that sucks

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

this is were I'm at here with this one.....maybe a little too obvious....we all know this but maybe some amatuers may not or don't unerstand why AA doesn't hold up maybe thats his point!

M

muddawgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how true it is ...you can play everything correct and still lose ..thats poker

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah! It's about rebellion against the "powers that be" - a great movie "Cool Hand Luke"! Another Great poker player movie is the "Cinncinnati Kid". I'd check them both out. They appear periodically on AMC, Turner Classics or at the video store.

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Things those who are really intelligent know

In many ways poker is a game not unlike chess or other games that require various levels strategic and tactical thinking. I remember something I learned in college which is a paraphrase of elements of the Socratic method of teaching, taught by a professor I thought very smart.

I think they apply to poker - here they are.

Things those who are really intelligent know
  • To know all is impossible, even the smartest human being - and that is likely not you - is incapable of knowing everything
  • To attempt to know all or to appear thus is folly and frequently has the effect of making you appear or actually being unintelligent, lacking knowledge and unable to accept knowledge.
  • Suffer those who know less. It is no diminution of your knowledge to accept and enable learning by others. Be gracious in the presence of those learning what you know and know that, if you are intelligent, to be reminded of what you know is good and will sometimes broaden the knowledge you think you have.....
  • Not be threatened by those who know more - they are legion
  • Gratuitous, critical remarks of others reflect poorly on the author
  • Be magnanimous in the presence those who are not your equal
OSU professor : Charles Linebeck / Socrates

Merlin333 :cool:

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to play an online strategic TBS game called Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic with lots of orcs and dwarves and goblins and elves and magic and things. We had a player there (called Old Merlin, by coincidence) who started off seeming relatively sane and only ever talked about the game mechanics, then started talking philosophy (a bit like the socratic post below), then started lecturing us about Christianity, and in the end turned out to be a right pain in the backside, so most people just blocked his chat in the end

Sorry, completely off-topic and seemingly random, but for a moment there were just too many similarities :D

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks SubT33 , KingCurtisand others. Maybe those to whom everything is obvious won't mind if I remind myself........

I by profession, am a writer. My poker skill and experience are significantly less. The things I post are my observations of playing seen through a prism of being able to write about them.

Much of the response I receive is positive and helpful - even if others know it already. I am not inventing anything just giving my own perspective.

In my view while poker has a techno-mechanical side (math, position, odds etc.) those things are easily mastered without being a math PHD. Like most other human endeavor - it is the how, when, why and what blend of mechanics / "x'" factors / situation that makes a great player. How often is a pro, while ruminating on what to play doing the math? I'm a beginner and the first thing I can do is the math of a hand! The other rationale
to play is more convoluted - at least to me. "xfactors" = (what is he playing, what did he hit, what kind of player, what hand does he have, what has he done in this situation before etc,etc,etc)

Though what I write may be "obvious" to some, reading poker books, watching players both amateur and heralded pro two things are clear 1.) there are many opinions (that work) as to what is correct 2.) There are few who can perfectly apply correct theory flawlessly and it is not always correct to do the "right" thing in every situation 3) Most of those who can spend little time criticizing others 4) in a game of incomplete information there is always an unknown.

So while I may be "obvious", the things I'll be writing here, if I continue to be a member, will if not be helpful or interesting to others it's good for me to "get it out". Members who reading my blogs think it pedestrian - won't bother - those who think otherwise will and perhaps expand ways to verbalize their own perspective of the foundation of how and why they play the way they do.

If nothing else, if I become any good I'll be ready to write a book about it - lol.

Jon (Merlin333) :cool:

ps. to
NoWuckingFurries you will never see me "chat" on any subject let alone Christianity. Your analogies about me and this other person are comical, childish and off point. I read a lot - I don't agree with everything I read. I am mature enough to not make childish analogies just because I do not agree. If what you are trying to say is that I am lecturing - then it is you who is a pain. Feel perfectly free to block or not read my post. What I am saying should be clear to anyone with average intelligence. It is kind of sad that on a blog where the purpose is to express what you want there are still those who would have appear only what they like and can understand. This reflects poorly on you not me. I guess there will always be those whose first response to anything is negative - sad.

another thought: I write several poker and blogs on other topics, this is the first time anyone thought the Charles Linebeck post "too philosophical" - too funny - he would crack up laughing. To extrapolate those few paragraphs into preaching about Christianity or philosophy is evidence of not ever having understood or even having read either.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
merlin i must say, u write really really well

but merlin i dont think NWF was refering to u, u didnt make any comments about christianity

SubT33

SubT33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Merlin,again, I appreciate your post, as it is a step in the right direction for this forum. Many times new members sprinkle one liners around the forum, just trying to get 15 posts so they can play in the CC free-rolls. Obviously, you are trying to contribute in a meaningful way, and that is to be respected. However, your response to NoWuck is a bit rash and unwarranted.

Sorry, completely off-topic and seemingly random, but for a moment there were just too many similarities :D

Had NWF not included this last sentence and particularly the :D then I might tend to agree with you. But as it was written, he was just pointing out a strange coincidence. For the record, I very much liked the philosophy.

p.s. - Damn you Pantin, you beat me to the punch, again!

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well Pantin007 and SubT33 I hope not. I may be a little defensive - i never joined a forum before where people
seem to zingback for no reason. You are right I am trying to contribute Everyone wants to pick on the new guy.

Just kidding I can take it - if I am incorrect I apologize!!!

Merlin333

momoney2

momoney2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't take it personally

Trying to bust an out-of-line all-in player is a recipe for disaster, as the one-time you catch him in a bluff, is the one time he catches you on the River.
And don't forget, there are always 7 or 8 other players at the table that are just waiting to catch you trying to catch him.
Best advice, Don't take the game personally.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well Pantin007 I hope not. Everyone wants to pick on the new guy.
Just kidding I can take it!!!

Merlin333
NWF and u both joined at the same time, both of yall are new to me :)

Coasterdude28

Coasterdude28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While these tips may seem obvious to some, they are infact helpful. Some people get all upset when their AA's lose to a lower pocket pair. The fact of the matter is that it does happen, and you have to realize that. Thanks for posting this.

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing "bust the namecaller"

Trying to bust an out-of-line all-in player is a recipe for disaster, as the one-time you catch him in a bluff, is the one time he catches you on the River.
And don't forget, there are always 7 or 8 other players at the table that are just waiting to catch you trying to catch him.
Best advice, Don't take the game personally.

You are so right. The first "bump" in my game was when I quit playing "bust the namecaller". lol

most of them don't last until the first break anyway - why let them accidentally take you along with them?