Playing rags

I

IanIanIanIan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like I am losing more when playing the good cards.

I have lost more on AK then on strategically played rags.

I just won a huge pot in a tournament whereas I played 3 10 off trying to steal the blinds.

It was into A K !!!

Do you think you need the strength to muck AK or even AA or KK ?

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes I have found that rags are easier to play. You have a fold plan with them which is important. With big cards preflop you need more discipline to find correct folds. With rags you usually know what to do if opponent reraises you. --and if you hit the flop they of course can be very profitable

M

metameg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes I have found that rags are easier to play. You have a fold plan with them which is important.

Look, don't start thinking rags are just as good to play as what you know are strong hands. Sure you can play rags in the right spots, but playing rags, especially in cash games, should be almost completely eliminated from your game.

The fact that you have encountered a run where it seems like rags are more successful is nothing more than a run where -EV has prevailed.

Continue to play strong hands aggressively, and of course be able to fold them if necessary. Sure, rags are easier to play because you have a fold plan, but thats exactly why you shouldn't play them often, because you play to fold most of the time, whereas with stronger holdings you are playing to win a sizable pot.

Now I'm not saying to never play rags, but...never play rags. I'm of course just talking long-run success.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look, don't start thinking rags are just as good to play as what you know are strong hands. Sure you can play rags in the right spots, but playing rags, especially in cash games, should be almost completely eliminated from your game.

The fact that you have encountered a run where it seems like rags are more successful is nothing more than a run where -EV has prevailed.

Continue to play strong hands aggressively, and of course be able to fold them if necessary. Sure, rags are easier to play because you have a fold plan, but thats exactly why you shouldn't play them often, because you play to fold most of the time, whereas with stronger holdings you are playing to win a sizable pot.

Now I'm not saying to never play rags, but...never play rags. I'm of course just talking long-run success.

All true, you have to set a strong table image first. They should really only be played in position with little to no raise. Helps lots more if you have a huge chip stack, which is why you see the big stacks win more often it looks, with rags.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like I am losing more when playing the good cards.

I have lost more on AK then on strategically played rags.

I just won a huge pot in a tournament whereas I played 3 10 off trying to steal the blinds.

It was into A K !!!

Do you think you need the strength to muck AK or even AA or KK ?

Not quite sure why you believe AK is such a premium hand?
The weakest pair in the game against AK just crushes them….. {2,2]
Holding AK out of position on an aggressive table will more times than not get you knocked out of the game.
Also playing rag hands too often will also get you on the losing side of the game in the long run.

K

kmax11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doesnt matter what cards you have if you know what the player is playing and bluff

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
complete luck when your playing rags ,id take AK or pocket pairs over raggy hands any day of the week am i going to lose to those crappy rag hands? of course ,but in the long run im going to win over those hands more times then not