Online Tournaments: Eating/ Drinking/ Boredom IS IT JUST ME?

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 3-4 online tournaments most days, and often cash and have won a few 100+ player tournies ($3 - $30 stakes).

Just wondering IS IT JUST ME who does this? I will go through many phases to alleviate boredom over the course of 3-4 hour long tournament.

First hour, I have my first cup of coffee and I am reading card chat articles, playing music channels on my TV, browsing Facebook, reading my emails.

Second hour I am concentrating.

Third hour I am getting snacks: coca cola, coffee, chocolate, crisps, sometimes I will put a 20mins pizza into the oven. The music is still in the background but my attention is no longer on it, I am furiously eating, drinking and focusing.

4/5 hours I have reached final table, so I go and make one last cup of coffee, pick a good music channel, relax having cashed, and maybe engage in some conversation if others are friendly. And enjoy the moment.

I am curious to know how your tournament goes? 😎

D

dsk1231

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I multi-table ring games. Go to chatrooms. Watch youtube videos. Once I get to the late stages of one all focus is on the table.

L

leorulex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also usually set listening to music and drinking something, let smoke into the break or if I take something bad or pull a large pot haha

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early stages of tournaments I will read E-Mails and set up one of my playlists on ITunes. Middle and late stages I try to focus more on what I am doing not to blow good chances on gaining more chips in certain situations.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think we are all the same ~ If I don't know anyone at the table I do try to be nice and compliment on good play/ hands etc.........Mind you a lot of people don't even respond when I being nice.

Mainly coffee and smoke in the break and the occasional "Family Size" Fruit and Nut bar...........gl :D:D:D

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we are all the same ~ If I don't know anyone at the table I do try to be nice and compliment on good play/ hands etc.........Mind you a lot of people don't even respond when I being nice.

Mainly coffee and smoke in the break and the occasional "Family Size" Fruit and Nut bar...........gl :D:D:D

Haha fruit and nut bar yes!!!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play Call of Duty as I multitable MTTs...

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the first hours of tournaments, I check some sites, read emails, eat and watch TV. But in the final hours and close to the FT, I concentrate only in the poker tables.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cannot be serious.
Serious.

I have my laptop on a table in front of me with my TV and PS3 set-up right behind it.

If there are multiple MTTs going on, I can be in 2-4 of them at a time. If it's my turn to act, I just put the controller down, take my turn, then get back to playing.

Usually during the first 2 hours, its very basic ABC play. A lot of folding, just playing big hands, etc. So, I'm doing a lot of clicking fold, check, or fold to any bet before it gets me. I'm just looking for a spot to get in good to double up or better. After the 2 hours, when blinds are higher, I switch to an aggressive style with lots of raising, 3-betting, shoving, but still a lot of auto-folding. So, I'm still playing at the same time. Honestly, a lot of it is just auto-pilot play. I probably don't play a lot of attention to the MTT until after the late registration closes.

As far as playing COD goes, I don't care what happens when I'm not playing it. If I die or lose a streak or whatever.

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Serious.

I have my laptop on a table in front of me with my TV and PS3 set-up right behind it.

If there are multiple MTTs going on, I can be in 2-4 of them at a time. If it's my turn to act, I just put the controller down, take my turn, then get back to playing.

Usually during the first 2 hours, its very basic ABC play. A lot of folding, just playing big hands, etc. So, I'm doing a lot of clicking fold, check, or fold to any bet before it gets me. I'm just looking for a spot to get in good to double up or better. After the 2 hours, when blinds are higher, I switch to an aggressive style with lots of raising, 3-betting, shoving, but still a lot of auto-folding. So, I'm still playing at the same time. Honestly, a lot of it is just auto-pilot play. I probably don't play a lot of attention to the MTT until after the late registration closes.

As far as playing COD goes, I don't care what happens when I'm not playing it. If I die or lose a streak or whatever.

Fair enough. I play advanced warfare on ps4, but not whilst playing poker lol.

C

CounterfeitedNutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is an absolute must for me to have something else going on in addition to playing in an mtt. Since there are times when there is a lot of folding going on and nothing exciting happening for me, to alleviate boredom and to remain patient I'll usually be reading something, watching something, or even like right now posting on here. When I get deep into the tourney or if the table is short handed then the game has my full attention but if I'm out of the hand, my attention is usually directed elsewhere.

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems to be a common occurrence amongst MTT players. I'm at the final table of a $12 tourney right now but I'm on a break. 1st place is $514 :)

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I came 6th for $70. Trip 8s beaten by trip Js on the turn. If I'm being super harsh I may have folded when he shoved over the top on the turn. I had him on AJ but maybe AJ just calls and doesn't shove.

B

bdc100

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I write emails, compose posts to Cardschat, read books, etc

I have a very low threshold for boredom, especially after I've folded 20 hands in a row. I will start writing emails, sending texts, making posts to Cardschat, reading books, watching movies, etc.

When the cards aren't falling right, it's hard to maintain motivation. Occasionally I will just quit the game, even though I might be in the middle of the pack.

Thank god I don't play live poker ..the snail's pace must be excruciating.

intents09

intents09

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot like yours, I smoke cigs so I take my laptop outside as need to have one, also, those variety puzzle books, I love them. I like those as I can do them while playing the game and not so distracting that it affects the game. But if not doing any of that I'm in a solid clan in Clash of Clans on my mobile that keeps me occupied, and posting/browsing here, listening to music, all of that.