Does astrology (or astronomy) has anything to do with poker?

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A deck of cards contain 52 cards but is it a coincidence that we have 52 weeks in a year?

In a suit we have 13 cards but have you noticed there are 13 lunar months (about 12 months and 11 days) as compared with Georgian calendar. How would you explain this?

There are 365 days in a year. If we add all cards of a deck as per their value, we get:
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12+13 = 91 X 4 = 364. Do you still think it is a coincidence?

Astronomy deals with stars and their movement. It is a science. And astrology deals what effects these stars and their movements (directly or indirectly) can have on earth or on us. In some quarters it is yet to be treated as science.

I think, the people who invented the cards, do know enough about stars, about their movements, eclipses, how days and nights occur and so on. Their invention was influenced by the knowledge of universe.

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
kostas1234

kostas1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hehe , one friend of mine told me that i must look and the stars before i play ,some times they don't want us to play . it is real i think you must know when you are in form or not !

great_young

great_young

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
There are some resemblances for sure. But I think your statement brings more questions than answers. What was the main purpose of the cards when they were created? Is the correlation real? Many things to think about. Something that came to my mind - the Ace sometimes plays the role of the number 1, which is missing. In poker, that's the so called wheel - straight with A,2,3,4 and 5. That clearly reminds the circle of life.

Interesting and thought-provoking topic. Thank you.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
and won someone who relies on astrology, numerology? I'm a little skeptical

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not with all comparisons sibird agree. But the fact that astrology has more to do with poker than Poker Up is for sure:D.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some studies wanted to show that certain signs were more lucky than others. I do not believe in this theory. There are, however, signs that are, for example, more persevering than others at games and there are especially good times for all signs, fortunately, because otherwise, life would be very sad for some!

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was about to put on my Poker critic hat when I saw this post but was actually an interesting read. Thanks

AlexBlefer

AlexBlefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i believe only in my skills and im god of my fortune ;)

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing related between those 2, like so many things in the world that have the same numbers. If anyone thinks that astrology or bs like that will influence their game, he or she has already lost.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The people who invented the card maybe something you know, and you know the people who invented the calendar ? Maybe a year is not 52 weeks, but more or less ? And can be this interval time at all and not week ? Maybe in a year 12 months and they are not called so ? Don't know about cards, but I'm sure that the calendar has made as he now there are people who benefit to letoischeslenie was so ?

revizor

revizor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People tend to fantasize. Naturally, until the Middle Ages, everything was very attached to the sky! Therefore, it is natural that there is a definite connection. But these connections are minimal. Because there is a Russian deck of 36 cards! And there are 54 card "French deck". Egyptian cards are 78 golden tablets on which the priests recorded all their knowledge. There are no secret and mystical values here. This is logical so it happened.

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they have nothing to do with poker

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my other hobbies except poker is astronomy. My opinion is that astronomy is science, poker is game and astrology is just pure lie in which i don't believe. Nothing in common between those 3. Just my 2 cents.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
astrology and poker

All poker players ask questions sooner or later: Why in some periods the level of profit reaches unprecedented heights regardless of the mistakes made? Why periodically profits consistently meet expectations? Why are there periods in which, regardless of the concentration, productive “reading” of opponents, properly played strong hands, nothing happens. Is it possible to calculate and predict periods of success and failure?
You can calculate the opportunity for the game and even the exact time, but it will not be useful, trust me. More precisely, the benefits will be temporary. The fact that you "find yourself" with a favorable location of the planets, you lose with an unfavorable. In the end, everything will return to normal. I do not believe? Try it and see for yourself. You can find out the initial predisposition to winnings and calculate a favorable time for risky events in this area and even assume the amount of profit. I did it for myself. But I soon realized that these calculations are self-deception.
Yes, on favorable days and hours it turned out to win, I was pleased, but in other situations I still lost and “on the circle” it turned out that you can't fool fate. In any case, everyone will receive only what life luck gives him.:heeeellll:heeeellll:heeeellll

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know if you are able to edit the title but you should remove astrology part from it because your post is about astronomy and not about horoscopes and star signs

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see a runner runner in your future, for it is written in the Stars.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Astrology or whatever you want to call it has zero bearing on cards as it has zero bearing on anything.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't use it in life and also not in poker. Never put much stock into classifying people into 12 catogories.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

It is also ironic there were thirteen kids of Jacob who became Isreal. Twelve boys and one girl. God probably had it all in mind when he swallowed the rock insect or whatever it did to teach this planet to celestial objects. The margin of error in like bowling. You need twelve strikes for a perfect game but then there are splits you like to pick up. Most games use similar patterns.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) right, 52 cards and 52 weeks... well roughly, yes. Just like roughly 52 seconds in a minute, and 52 minutes in an hour.
2) There is a huge correlation, both explain any mismatch by luck/bad-luck.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You want to see some mystical things and you see them.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe astrology has anything to do with winning poker.

S

Sp0own

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is related to the deck of cards and not poker. I think that the deck of cards can have some mysterious meanings but i don't think that this can give you an edge at the poker table.

andsws

andsws

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
To be honest i dont believe it, in poker its all about skills and patience.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Astronomy has nothing to do with poker. Astrology happens to sound similar, but it's a completely different word and the only relation is that whomever made-up astrology appeared to have some knowledge of astronomy. Astrology is good for filing spaces between ads and comics in the newspaper. I suppose random hacks have made a decent living with it to...
Study of the cosmos,far more interesting. And while it won't DIRECTLY help your poker game. It's much better for your brain.
What's better for your game? Youtube cat videos or calculus? If your main goal is to improve your poker game I wouldn't spend to much time on either.
That said. I love cat videos and I thinking I'll stop typing to watch a couple and get the Zen going before tonight's tourneys. Hahaha silly kitty:)
Fortune cookies on the other-hand......that shit's legit! And if less than 14 years old, delicious!

Last edited: