A , B or C

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are running really bad but playing good what should you do ?

A- Take a break

B- Keep playing but study new poker strategies

C- Quit the game all together

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your choice is dependent on "how" you are losing and your mindset/state of mind.

A - Take a break: This is true if you are not playing your "A+ poker" or are tilting etc. Even the best players take breaks for a day or two sometimes: poker is a very mental game and a refresher can help a lot.

B - Keep playing but study new poker strategies: The "keep playing" part goes with the "take a break point above" but the "study" part is always a must. We should always be working on our game. The game of poker is always changing. The math is the same, but player tendencies come and go so the best players in the world need to adapt. The moment you stop learning is the moment everyone else begins to surpass you.

C - Quit the game altogether: this is is a real possibility if you lose the love of the game or can't handle the tilt, mindset, bankroll management skills or many other reasons.

In my view, everyone will run bad eventually; variance is real and cooler hands/bad beats happen to everyone. If you are constantly on the "bad luck" end, then investigate if it really is "luck" or not - maybe it isn't really luck-based. If it is indeed just luck, then the game will eventually turn around for you if you just have faith in the system and your abilities. In the meantime, you can keep studying and learning (as always anyhow).

I wouldn't quit just because of some bad beats, but if you really are tilting too much, or lose your motivation to play, then quitting is understandable as well.

Good luck; it will probably turn around after a while :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you're running bad because you're playing bad, study more.

if you're running bad because of variance, play more.

T

tayday79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would just take a break for a while

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would suggest to take a break for a while refocus and realize it’s a just game there’ll be ups and downs.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I do not consider myself a good player, but I noticed a pattern in the game, you can lose for a long time even with strong hands, after several defeats, when the opponent has little chance of winning on the turn, but he gets a big combination, I go out and take a break. Best regards, Sergei.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
B - just keep studying and improve your game

variance is always there all we can do is play the right way

as long as we played it perfectly but results didn't go our way, nothing we can do

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say option A or B, but in the B option I would only keep playing freerolls or low buy in tournaments while I keep studying new strategies.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I always try to play well. It is important for me to make the right decisions. But if I lose often, I just take a break.

dylangarcia3

dylangarcia3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First at all you should know if you are having fun, and you are enjoying what are you doing!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Volume is the solution for that but personally I can't play for example 50+SNG or MTTs per day. So you keep playing no matter how bad you run.Be sure your plays have a positive expected value in the long run and that's all.

Studying and breaks are essential!

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Definitely B but without learning new strategies etc :cool:

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
none of the options. If you are playing good what's the point to learn some totally new strategies? just keep playing and improve your current strategy.

if variance just happened then breaks won't stop it.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
a good pause to reset us including study

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're playing well and running bad just continue to make correct decisions to the best of your ability with the hands you're being dealt. Variance is a bitch so at times you feel you're playing bad when you're actually just running bad. If you start getting heated and feel a bit tilted : a : take a break. If you are playing bad and making poor decisions, b : access strategy : take a moment to adapt to the play at the table and find out why you're losing, switch gears and avoid those situations. It's a metal game and if you're not able to handle the beats it'll eat you alive.

Last edited:
O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
take a break

I would suggest a. take a break be that long or short term . There ill always be bad beats and often on top of each other it is best t give your emotions a rest !!!

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.I would take a break.Sometimes is needed.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are running really bad but playing good you are unlucky and you need to change "profession"

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
B of course. Never give up
If you are running really bad but playing good what should you do ?

A- Take a break

B- Keep playing but study new poker strategies

C- Quit the game all together

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break and study strategies.

T

tamara822

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest option A, take a break. It is very important in poker to be rested and focused. And constant playing can be quite exhausting. Even good players. Take a couple of days off and enjoy other forms of entertainment. And when you rest, continue where you left off. :)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Take a break and study. Review your hand history.

Highscoregodx

Highscoregodx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
B

I would start playing more tight, watching my opponents so that I could start pushing at the right moment