Help Me Construct 3 Bet Ranges

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys. I have a few questions about 3 betting preflop.

1) First of all, I'm looking for some free software to help me construct ranges.

2) How should I decide on what percentages of my opponent's open ranges I should be 3 betting? (I realize the 3B ranges change as opponent ranges change so knowing a percentage would be helpful)

3) How do these percentages change with MY position (OOP vs IP).

4) How do I choose what kind of 3 bet range to use, polarized or merged? All I know so far is a merged range would help me more vs. skilled postflop players

5) Any general rips for where to start? Consistent and comprehensive 3B charts for all positions at various stakes are really rare. Any good videos that explain it like I'm 5 years old would be really helpful. I've already read the free upswing stuff but want to learn more.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nice question

Hi guys. I have a few questions about 3 betting preflop.

1) First of all, I'm looking for some free software to help me construct ranges.

2) How should I decide on what percentages of my opponent's open ranges I should be 3 betting? (I realize the 3B ranges change as opponent ranges change so knowing a percentage would be helpful)

3) How do these percentages change with MY position (OOP vs IP).

4) How do I choose what kind of 3 bet range to use, polarized or merged? All I know so far is a merged range would help me more vs. skilled postflop players

5) Any general tips for where to start? Consistent and comprehensive 3B charts for all positions at various stakes are really rare. Any good videos that explain it like I'm 5 years old would be really helpful. I've already read the free upswing stuff but want to learn more.

1) Thanks for your questions ventrolloquist! I will try to do my best but I also have a couple of questions: which limit/stake you are playing in? For how long? Are you an amateuer or a regular? For how long do you play?
Now your question number 1, if I know a software that can help you to construct Ranges.
I don't know if I understand your question properly, but I guess you are talking about PIO Solver or Power Equilab, but I believe both are usefull when it comes to range definition.

2)For example, let us suppose that as standard, people are opening from UTG 15% of hands at 6-MAX Cash Tables. So, when you see players, in the long run (over than 1000 thousands hands of sample) opening over than 15% from UTG you might start some 3bets or calls from MP.
However as we can see now, that 15% of the range from UTG means:

22+, A9s+, A5s-A2s, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, AJo+ (14.63%)

Depending on the player, on the stakes, on your position relatively to the UTG, you can and I guess you should 3bet even this 15% that UTG is opening because it will be very hard to Cold-Call YOUR 3bet In Position being UTG, Out of Position and also impossible to 4bet the wider part of this range. So, when you 3bet, some Regulars, Fishes, Whales, weak TAgs, will leave a great part of this range, also depending on the Stakes you are playing, your position to the UTG, and player style and how many hands did you played with it.
So, I suppose, for example, when UTG suffers a 3bet from MP very hard to continue with this:

88-22, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s (6.18%), even so, it is hard to continue with 99-QQ, which are obliged to Cold-Call a fair of chunk of times, but will not play very well Out of Position. I also, don't believe we can start 4betting the MP in a "light" manner. Unless the player has an outstanding fold to 4bet, I do not believe it is great ideia to 4bet with 99-QQ, and also some suited Broadways, without an ace as a Kicker.
For UTG most of times it is better to 4bet, specially if it is a 3bet coming from MP, with KK+, AJs+, A5s-A2s, AKo (3.92%), because this way the aces are removing the chances of MP to have AA, AK, etc. When we 4bet with 99-QQ we don't know for sure if the Villain has KK, AA, AK, AJ, AT, and this is why I believe that from the perspective of UTG with 99-QQ it is better, most of times to Cold-Call or Fold.
But we really don't wanna be folding this QQ-99, AQs+, AKo (3.32%) we can either call with these hands when UTG opens or 3bet.
Like I said before, sometimes the player opens 15% from UTG, but he/she folds 50% to 3bet! What is that suppose to mean? That 15% hands that he originally Open Raises from UTG he ONLY continues after a 3bet with 7.5% of his range! Great deal huh?
Again, these hands we can either call or 3bet, depending on a lot of factors: KK+, A5s-A2s, KJs-KTs, QTs, JTs, T9s.
Once in a lifetime, when we are in the MP x UTG Open Raise we are going to call, ONCE IN A LIFETIME, ALMOST NEVER, with: 88-77, AJs, AQo, never 3betting because this part of the Range is so dominated by UTG's Opening Range.
Now even more rare than the hands listed above we can also call with this part of the range: 66-22, ATs, KQs, QJs, never 3betting
AA and KK we will always 3bet against UTG, unless, of course, there are specific conditions in the table that make us change our mind, example, a crazy LAG in the Button who is 3betting/4betting/5betting-Shoving a lot of trash, or even if the Aggro Donkey Lag is in another position like CO, BTN, SB or BB and we know that it likes a Squeeze and a little aggresion Preflop, in a situation like that we MAYBE could be calling from MP because we intend to induce Squeezes, but just a big MAYBE, because it will depend on the Stakes/Limit you are playing in.

QQ, JJ and AK we can enter by calling or enter by 3betting, it is a matter of choice depending on the Table Configuration/Scenario. QQ and AK we can 3bet almost always.
I was almost forgetting: remember that there are players who elect to fold to a MP 3bet x UTG way more than 50% of times! Some will fold 60%, 70%, 80% of fold to 3bet, so be aware who you are playing against to make the most profitable decision-making(3bet or calling).
When we are in the MP there are still CO, BTN and the Blinds to speak. So, when we are in the MP and we elect to call our equity will NOT realize so good. Because there are many players ahead who might decide to Squeeze and we cannot continue with our entire calling range.
When we elect to 3bet the chance of realizing our equity postfop is bigger because we are creating a scenario to play in position.

3) I don't know if I understand your question, could you please give us more details?

4) Sorry, cannot help you with this one. I will study more to comprehend what "polarized" and "merged" range means, if you might explain to us, I would really appreciate it.

5)Start making easy 3bets. Which means, make 3bets In Position, for example:
When you are Hero in the Button and decides to 3bet the Villain in the CO who is a Fish-Cold-Calling-Machine. But even if the CO Villain was not a Fish you could be 3betting CO safely because this position (CO) also has a wide Opening Range, which could not continue very good in a 3bet pot out of position versus Button most of times.
Be more careful when you are in the Button 3betting the players from EP (MP and UTG).
Once you get a little more experience in 3bet Pots, you might start making 3bet Steal from the SB x BTN, from the BB x BTN, and from the BB x SB (This one is real good because allow us to play in position.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Last edited:
ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow thanks so much Carlos! This is amazing :D. It will take me some time to digest all of this. I'm focusing on micro/low stakes and also wondering how my 3 bet strategy should change as I move up.