Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How do you guy adjust your calling range when villain always Cbets full pot

Hello there Jd179, this is a very good question, thank you for making it.
First of all, if your opponent c-bets 100% of flops using 100% size pot (is that what you mean?) what you have to do is:

A) Be sure that Villain has at least 80 blinds of effective stack to be profitable for you when you enter to a pot with it.

B) Try to play versus this guy always in position. If this is aggressive we think it is, if we do check it will mostly make a huge bet, as always, to make us fold. If you are out of position to him do not lead flop if you call preflop, let it come with 100% c-bet flop and we eval if we want to call, jam or fold.

C) Do not widen your range in situations like this! If the guy is spewying chips around, wait for the best moment, for when you have decent hands on your range, such as pocket pairs, suited connectors and broadways, to play with this guy, so for when it comes a flop you know you are not dominated most of times, but you are dominating.
If you start to increase your range too much because the guy is spewy and start opening hands such as A2o, A6o, 87o, whatever, be prepared to lose a big pot too because we are playing weak hands versus weak player and when we hit a TP we don't wanna live it and we will be dominated sometimes. Tighten your range and if the players bets over the top, let it bluff you til the river.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the bigger the cbet is the more you should start folding for example vs a pot sized cbet you should under pairs and bottom pairs with no BDFD you should fold GSSDs.......i think .you got the idea...

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you guy adjust your calling range when villain always Cbets full pot

Do you use a hud? How often is he raising flops? Is he raising all types of flops?

These are important questions. The frequency answers your question about if you should narrow or widen your range. You have to look at size and frequency as a puzzle that fits together. When you/villain play balanced, smaller size bets should correspond to higher frequencies and vice-versa. You have to see whether or not villain has such a balance between bet size and frequency, and then based on that decide if there is an imbalance you can exploit.

If he has a very low cbet frequency (let's say 20-30%) and he raises pot then he has a strong range and you must tighten up. If he is raising very frequently generally over 55%, but at pot size, then he's a maniac and you can widen your range.

In general:
bigger size = tighten up
higher frequency = loosen up
I would say frequency (if you have a big enough hand sample) should be you main determiner of the width (and corresponding weakness) of his range, more so than size.

Step 2 is to look at his turn cbet frequency. Based on these 2 stats you can choose the most $$$ exploit.

If he has a huge gap between his flop and turn cbet frequency you can call his bet with just about any hand and then attack the turn or river after he gives up. This also applies if his flop cbet frequency is balanced and he isn't a maniac but still has a gap (in that case you can't just float with any hand anymore and should tighten up a little bit).

If he also barrels relentlessly you can call with value hands and reraise a polarized range which is more bluff than value heavy (assuming he folds a lot to flop reraises and isn't a maniac station). Polarized reraises would be stuff like 2 pair or better (which you should actually, more often, be slowplaying if he double and triple barrels), but also draws and air (and if villain is a maniac then also weaker draws like gutshots and backdoor flush draws make good bluff reriases). If he doesn't fold much to flop reraises then obviously you can raise with more value than bluff combos and this will print you money).

You can also look at his river cbet frequency to see if he double barrels and gives up or if he keeps going. If he gives up on the river you can donk bet the river with a polarized bet size.

I love having these 3 stats on my HUD (along with fold to Flop Cbet, Fold To Turn Cbet, and Fold to River Cbet)

ps: You must also compare Flop CBET% to PFR, if PFR is very tight (ie: under 15) and flop CBET% is high look out because even though he's cBetting a lot, he's only making it to the flop with strong hands

If he's a timid nit who bets flop,but then checks river frequently IP (to control the size of the pot), then you can call him on wet boards and then chkraise the river if an appropriate scare card hits. This pretty much says he only has top pair.

Last edited:
J

Jd179

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you use a hud? How often is he raising flops? Is he raising all types of flops?

These are important questions. The frequency answers your question about if you should narrow or widen your range. You have to look at size and frequency as a puzzle that fits together. When you/villain play balanced, smaller size bets should correspond to higher frequencies and vice-versa. You have to see whether or not villain has such a balance between bet size and frequency, and then based on that decide if there is an imbalance you can exploit.

If he has a very low cbet frequency (let's say 20-30%) and he raises pot then he has a strong range and you must tighten up. If he is raising very frequently generally over 55%, but at pot size, then he's a maniac and you can widen your range.

In general:
bigger size = tighten up
higher frequency = loosen up
I would say frequency (if you have a big enough hand sample) should be you main determiner of the width (and corresponding weakness) of his range, more so than size.

Step 2 is to look at his turn cbet frequency. Based on these 2 stats you can choose the most $$$ exploit.

If he has a huge gap between his flop and turn cbet frequency you can call his bet with just about any hand and then attack the turn or river after he gives up. This also applies if his flop cbet frequency is balanced and he isn't a maniac but still has a gap (in that case you can't just float with any hand anymore and should tighten up a little bit).

If he also barrels relentlessly you can call with value hands and reraise a polarized range which is more bluff than value heavy (assuming he folds a lot to flop reraises and isn't a maniac station). Polarized reraises would be stuff like 2 pair or better (which you should actually, more often, be slowplaying if he double and triple barrels), but also draws and air (and if villain is a maniac then also weaker draws like gutshots and backdoor flush draws make good bluff reriases). If he doesn't fold much to flop reraises then obviously you can raise with more value than bluff combos and this will print you money).

You can also look at his river cbet frequency to see if he double barrels and gives up or if he keeps going. If he gives up on the river you can donk bet the river with a polarized bet size.

I love having these 3 stats on my HUD (along with fold to Flop Cbet, Fold To Turn Cbet, and Fold to River Cbet)

ps: You must also compare Flop CBET% to PFR, if PFR is very tight (ie: under 15) and flop CBET% is high look out because even though he's cBetting a lot, he's only making it to the flop with strong hands

If he's a timid nit who bets flop,but then checks river frequently IP (to control the size of the pot), then you can call him on wet boards and then chkraise the river if an appropriate scare card hits. This pretty much says he only has top pair.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, first off the villain in this case I didn’t have many
Hands on but from what I saw he was a manic, either way Im thankful for all the tips on Exploiting Cbets etc and I will defo add those stats to my hud when I remake one thank you

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a profound question. It really depends on many factors. First, obviously the type of player we are dealing with. From the way you describe it, it has a marked profile of preflop aggressiveness. In any case, if the cbet frequency is very high, possibly this indicates that the range of the post cbet villain ends up being very polarized, in most cases. Range polarization is something that can often be seen at low stakes levels. Especially in villains who have a passive-aggressive game profile. This can also be seen in live games, in players who are very aggressive or who have suffered great losses of money and desperately want to steal pots to make up for what was lost. Against this type of player the strategy is very basic, we simply must choose a good hand to play against them. It must be a hand that has good equity or showdown value.
Greetings.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello there Jd179, this is a very good question, thank you for making it.
First of all, if your opponent c-bets 100% of flops using 100% size pot (is that what you mean?) what you have to do is:

A) Be sure that Villain has at least 80 blinds of effective stack to be profitable for you when you enter to a pot with it.

B) Try to play versus this guy always in position. If this is aggressive we think it is, if we do check it will mostly make a huge bet, as always, to make us fold. If you are out of position to him do not lead flop if you call preflop, let it come with 100% c-bet flop and we eval if we want to call, jam or fold.

C) Do not widen your range in situations like this! If the guy is spewying chips around, wait for the best moment, for when you have decent hands on your range, such as pocket pairs, suited connectors and broadways, to play with this guy, so for when it comes a flop you know you are not dominated most of times, but you are dominating.
If you start to increase your range too much because the guy is spewy and start opening hands such as A2o, A6o, 87o, whatever, be prepared to lose a big pot too because we are playing weak hands versus weak player and when we hit a TP we don't wanna live it and we will be dominated sometimes. Tighten your range and if the players bets over the top, let it bluff you til the river.

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

Very good answer.
I think it's the best way to face this kind of opponent. Some people would say: Be more aggressive than him. I think this is too much risky sometimes.

But be prepared to face some terrible bad beats in these moments. I was playing a 3,50 SG today and had a player like this on my right all the game. You need to play your best in these situations. Well, in the end we both made the heads up, when he started to play veeery aggressive. I wait patiently to the right hand. He had the tendency to tribet shoving. We are with near same stack, and I was dealt with AQs. I just bet 2X and, as I was expecting he would shove. He did it and showed T7o. A Q was dealt on the flop. I was celebrating my nice victory, when a 7 appeared on the turn and another one on the river . I know this is part of the game, but... :eek2: :stoned: :mad:

Last edited:
ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for taking the time to reply, first off the villain in this case I didn’t have many
Hands on but from what I saw he was a manic, either way Im thankful for all the tips on Exploiting Cbets etc and I will defo add those stats to my hud when I remake one thank you
Happy to help [emoji4] .

One last important thing. If villain normally bets smaller but also bets big (pot size) intermittently and if his flop cbet% is in the 45-55% ballpark which is balanced, then like gustav said, this is probably a polarized bet and you need to be careful. Especially if you see it on wet coordinated boards which is a sign this is a thinking player.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good answer.
I think it's the best way to face this kind of opponent. Some people would say: Be more aggressive than him. I think this is too much risky sometimes.

But be prepared to face some terrible bad beats in these moments. I was playing a 3,50 SG today and had a player like this on my right all the game. You need to play your best in these situations. Well, in the end we both made the heads up, when he started to play veeery aggressive. I wait patiently to the right hand. He had the tendency to tribet shoving. We are with near same stack, and I was dealt with AQs. I just bet 2X and, as I was expecting he would shove. He did it and showed T7o. A Q was dealt on the flop. I was celebrating my nice victory, when a 7 appeared on the turn and another one on the river . I know this is part of the game, but... :eek2: :stoned: :mad:
I agree with this too. You can choose one of 2 approaches. You call and reraise opponent quite wide in reaponse to his aggression like I described. Or do what Carlos said and stick with better hands and trap. It depends on if you want to play a lower variance or higher variance style.

Also to clarify, when I said widen your range I mean your postflop calling range. You should still keep the same preflop range because of the other players at the table.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play depending on the equity of the hand. For a call to be profitable, we need at least 33% equity. If you have significantly more equity and you are a clear favorite, play bet-3bet-push

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with this too. You can choose one of 2 approaches. You call and reraise opponent quite wide in reaponse to his aggression like I described. Or do what Carlos said and stick with better hands and trap. It depends on if you want to play a lower variance or higher variance style.

Also to clarify, when I said widen your range I mean your postflop calling range. You should still keep the same preflop range because of the other players at the table.
Also on the topic of variance: games with high fold equity = low variance so in these games aggression with a wider range actually lowers the variance of your winnings curve! [emoji3]