Difference between live and Micro online

M

metameg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the key differences in you make in your game when playing micro stakes online vs. say a live 1/2 game?

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think online players tend to pay more hands than live tables.

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1-you see less than a 1/3 of the hands live that you see online, so it is VERY important to be patient.
2-I play .05/.10 online and the play is tougher online than where I have played 1/2 live.
3-don't be afraid to bluff in SMALL pots live and show it once or twice. That will get you paid in the bigger pots. I've seen it and done it myself.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live you can play much trickier.
You need a good image and a lot of things get through.

Like the one above said, you can show some bluffs and play T afterwards.
Online is more ABC play for me

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main difference in the speed of the game. At the table online a rate three times higher than in a live game. And the expected income is lower.

F

fastjob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live is played with less loose hands. and you can build your strategy based on it.

N

NJW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm surprised to hear you guys say that less loose hands are played live compared to online.

Whenever I have played live in my area it is a total limp fest and a standard 3x + 1BB per limper does almost nothing to deter them as all limpers tend to come along and see the flop.

I generally adjust to this by over limping more while in position with speculative hands that can flop huge and raising it up massively preflop with premiums (sometimes get 2 callers even if I 10x it preflop).

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the biggest difference between a live game and online is that you can better analyze the other players watching their reactions when you make a bet and when it bluffing

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
There are many differences ... but from my perspective I think the most important is that you can read and analyze your opponents better in live tournaments since you can see their gestures and emotions when they play a particular hand ..!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live 1-2 plays much looser in general than online microstakes. It also plays much more passively in general.

Online .01-.02 is usually similar toughness to a live 1-2.

J

Jorel Antonius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm surprised to hear you guys say that less loose hands are played live compared to online.

Whenever I have played live in my area it is a total limp fest and a standard 3x + 1BB per limper does almost nothing to deter them as all limpers tend to come along and see the flop.

I generally adjust to this by over limping more while in position with speculative hands that can flop huge and raising it up massively preflop with premiums (sometimes get 2 callers even if I 10x it preflop).

TBH this is standard in my experience. online 3bb raise for the most part is standard. when i play 1/2 live or a few of my friends .50/1 games 5bb plus 1bb for limpers seems to thin the field for me. Also in my experience there are WAY more fish live. (this could be to the percieved idea online poker is illegal). So you need to pay attention to position and play tighter. Also if a player that limps or just flats most of the time starts playing back time to fold. Last advice i can give is alot of live players will pay most pot bets to draw so keep that in mind.

These are just things I have noticed. Online poker IMHO is full of better players and a much tougher game to beat.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read all opinions with interest as i only played online and intend to move live as soon as i get profitable and i was just curious about the differences

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I notice more people limp in live games than they do online, and as has been mentioned, it is a bit slower. You also get to see everyone and maybe try to pick up reads/tells.

P

pokijh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live tells plays a big part obviously. Easier to get reads, but also easy to lose concentration if the game is slow.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play live at higher stakes, usually 10/20. I find that the bigger games, such as $2000 and $4000 NL are pretty solid in terms of skill level. It is pretty slow, so if you are coming into live from online, be prepared to see fewer hands. You can take longer to think as well. Nobody is in a hurry to call the clock when you are contemplating a call for 10 grand.

If you struggle with the speed, try the App called PPoker, it has real money games that you can play from your phone while at the live table. If interested PM me and i can get you in on some rake-back deals.

P

PokerWahoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live is way looser and everyone calls too much. Pots are always multiway. Also for some reason no one 3bets live 1/2. Online micros are way more aggro

B

bonzai888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 hand of live poker = 10 hands (one table) online
if your like most of us online players who play multitables
online we are basically autopiloting

live you get to play : image, read tells, socializing,

2 different games imo

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play live super tight and win often. Online I play less tight and lose often. I don't believe anyone can consistently beat a online micro stakes game. Online play is ridiculous.

J

Jorel Antonius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think live may be easier for me because you get longer to tank and analyze the hand before you continue. online you get maybe a minute to decide if you want to check, bet, raise,fold, or call.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online I play 6 max is live always full ring and I need to adjust to that ?

stillgotouts

stillgotouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online I get eaten by anyone, and everyone willing to throw chips around. Live i get eaten by sharks. Only players who are good can best me live.
I almost don't think you can compare it unless you're a very tight player online. Then it's just like 5x slower and variance hits you harder.
Also, make sure you're ok with the risks you're taking. Obviously the stakes are massive in comparison to micro's online.

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea unlike the first few comments, live almost always plays loose and passive. Everyone is bored from the slow play and just limp in the pot everywhere. It's not like they can multi table, so everyone just wants to see a flop. You can use this to your advantage by set mining like crazy. And stacking them after the flop almost everytime u hit a set.

Organize a Home Poker Game