dialing in my VP$IP

Nulictor

Nulictor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So I'm currently playing .25/.50NL stakes, and I gravitate towards shorthanded tables.

I've been trying to tighten up my preflop range, but I'm in position basically 1/3rd of the time. Either button or CO. Which has lead to me having a VP$IP of 45%.

So I'm wondering, is it normal to have a larger VPIP on 5max tables?

:icon_joke:questionm

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way too much. Plug in a 45% range to an equity cal & you'll see how many bad hands you are playing where you shouldn't.
And at the stakes you are playing it'd be a straight downhill path
Try to reduce it to in between 20-28 but it depends on the playstyle ofcourse. 3 max & Heads up you can loosen a lot but assuming most players aren't nits you shouldn't be playing that much 4max+

Nulictor

Nulictor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Way too much. Plug in a 45% range to an equity cal & you'll see how many bad hands you are playing where you shouldn't.
And at the stakes you are playing it'd be a straight downhill path
Try to reduce it to in between 20-28 but it depends on the playstyle ofcourse. 3 max & Heads up you can loosen a lot but assuming most players aren't nits you shouldn't be playing that much 4max+

Thanks. Good advice. I just keep opening up bc it seems like when I fold a trash hand, I get dealt two pair or trips on the flop.

So I went to HM2 and filtered by my decided %30 range vs what is outside it and found the majority of my losses are from crap hole cards.

Kinda convinced myself it wasn't the case cause I've been winning, but looks like I was winning despite the poor range, and not bc of what I thought was my amazing postflop skills lol:icon_geek

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players should bee folding to much or very passive then your VP$IP might be correct.

M

Marowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that your VPIP is too large. Analyze your range on every position probably it is something wrong.

How many hands you played with this large VPIP?

Nulictor

Nulictor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I was def playing too wide.

about 3k. Small sample size I know.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
45% - too high, but you should have a higher VPIP for sure if you're playing 6-max cash aggressively.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
On what site may I ask? (if you're beating 50nl there over any hand sample size playing 45% of your hands... I want to play there too! :) )
playing crap hands because when you've folded them you would've hit is surely not a reason to play those types of hands.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have access to any hand range opening charts?

I give free ones in my Cash Game Crash course which is included in this pack which you can get for free at http://gripsed.com/stackin

On super soft tables with antes you can get pretty wide, but generally stats like yours would suggest you're forcing the action a little bit and kind of trigger happy :)