Bluff in Omaha

A

amadeusace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very often while heads up... It's very hard to call a big raise on the river.

But... When I say often I don't mean to abuse it.. just use the board texture. Usually nobody calls a large bet after a check. Use the flush and the straights on the board and most important thing to remember is never try to bluff with 3 opponents in the hand.

A common bluff is to have the Ace suite of the flush that is on the board..

Betting size is an art in PLO. For example you can't bluff an average pot very easily. So you need to build it somehow.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Player dependant and texture of board, similar to nlhe.
Fish are still fish, loads of time I've bet turn with big draw and bluffed river if I didn't hit and get called by top pair weak kicker and sometimes worse

P

Pavel Stezhkin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing in Omaha not seem to me appropriate. There can be more quickly than in Hold'em stumble upon really strong hand.

V

vassiriki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree to the first post. when you're heads up, it's acceptable. of course if you think you know your opponent and if he's weak!

T

TargetLion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last time I have lost all my bankroll due to much semibluff and bluff playing Omaha.

George Lewis

George Lewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are slightly tighter pre flop than the average player and you are aggressive when you are in a hand your bluffs will be more respected like in any game. I have noticed that many players have distinct hands preferences in these games. So if "Mr. Flush" is in a hand and the flush doesnt arrive on the this may be a decent time to bluff with your own missed flush. You have to bluff just choose your spots wisely and if you get caught ease off or find another table. Calling pre flop and playing fit or fold will whittle you down quickly in Omaha.

651crusher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u really have to use the board and your holdings to bluff this is very situational . . . Blockers like A of suited board u can XR river small value bets and if ur blocking other nutted combos then u can find better spots to bluff and get away w it

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it extremely hard to bluff in omaha, especially online. The players I play with know the can be so many combinations the call almost every bet unless its the river and they blanked. And if you play high-low its even worse. I do try an occasional bluff, but it usually bites me in the butt.:D:D

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a cash game in Omaha, it is not the best policy to bluff to often.

P

PW300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I certainly would not recommend bluffing in Omaha especially at the low stakes. You always end up trying to bluff someone who will call all the way with their straight/ flush draw and possibly reraise you hoping you go all in against their draws. You can end up losing a lot if you bluff in Omaha.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For everyone saying they shouldn't bluff often in omaha, how often do you pay attention to the "Fold to Turn Bet" and "Fold to River Bet" percentages, especially at the micros?

A lot of players are chasing, but they're also folding a lot more often than you think. It's not unusual for me to see players with 60%+ on the turn and 70%+ on the river. Many are a little lower, but most are still folding a lot of the time.

The main thing is to try and figure out what sort of hand your opponent is playing and give it a shot if they appear to miss and give up. You'll get weird calls/raises sometimes but you should get enough folds to make up for those spots. You can't abuse it every time, but it should definitely be something you're doing short-handed.

I don't suggest bluffing into a 5xbb pot where all 5 players are still there at the river, but against one other player (sometimes two), it should at least cross your mind to throw out a good sized bet at a medium sized pot everyone gave up on. Or, if a scare card comes and the opponent shuts down, then you may be open to take it yourself

Edit: A typical "nothing" hand where a small bluff gains some bb/100 is here

Hero (BTN): 277 BB
SB: 512.4 BB (VPIP: 60.28, PFR: 28.37, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 142)
BB: 87 BB (VPIP: 43.70, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 119)
CO: 158.6 BB (VPIP: 32.93, PFR: 2.50, 3Bet Preflop: 3.70, Hands: 82)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A♥ 2♦ 4♦ 4♥

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.4 BB, 2 players) 7♠ 3♠ 9♣
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (6.4 BB, 2 players) J♥
BB checks, Hero bets 4 BB, BB calls 4 BB

River: (14.4 BB, 2 players) 3♣
BB checks, Hero bets 9.2 BB, fold

Hero wins 13.8 BB

Just me, one loose passive guy, and he's also folding the river a lot. So, when I don't get raised on the turn I can be pretty sure he doesn't have T-8 and he probably has a pair or maybe the flush draw. Or, he might have nothing and just not believe me. The river (which he is folding 60% of the time over this small sample) doesn't help much aside from sets that would have raised/bet or random 3xxx hands. So, a 2/3 pot sized bet and he gives up. This is more typical than it is to be called down. If he shows up with 8-3 or something, good on him.

Last edited:
Talden

Talden

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Vinnie, where are you playing at? Just curious as I do most of my playing at Tops. But imo you are correct, the river is a good time for a bet. Lol just because you have 15+ outs don't mean you hit them. Lol

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That hand was at ACR. It was just the very next hand that I happened to play after originally posting. So, I just picked it. That's where I usually am. Although, I sometimes am on ignition.

S

SerZhadanov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing is a major part of poker, but it can be very difficult to use bluffs effectively in PL Omaha.