Opinions on knockout tourneys

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find it best to approach these with a dif mind set. as stated abovealot of people get stupid aggressive chasing bounties. i find it best to play your normal game and the bounties are just bonus money

V

V6mitg6rewh6re

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the time I'm writing this I'm in 2$ bounty tourney on bovada started with 220 people now 7 left I have a total of 7 bounties!

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love them. I seem to do better in them than I do in regular NLHE tourneys. They can be expensive, though, especially if you get knocked out before you get any bounties. However, they also offer an opportunity to get paid even if you don't make a deep run. I played in the Bovada $30+3 bounty tourney (with $10 bounties) the other day and collected 7.5 bounties. I made more than double my entry fee just from the bounties.

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do play them if i am on tilt as they give you a chance to knockout people out and u can get 5x your buyin before the prize money kicked in. There is a niche on sites like sky poker where the poker ability is very low

J

jackflash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i choose theses tournies a lot , even if you dont make the money you generally get your money back , it allows you to play looser and speculate in different ways to a standard tourney , good fun

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some people are saying since they play tight, they don't like knockout tourneys.

IMO, these are great for tight players as long as you realize weak hands are going to chase so just don't fold your strong hands especially if draws are present. A lot of draws will come along with bad odds or they might even push on you. Have the stomach to call off with your strong hands and hope to hold up.

I think these tourneys really play into the style of tight players because you just wait for a hand play it straightforward and get lots of action. In a regular tourney the big problem with a tight style is you get no action when you finally play a hand. Not the case on knock out tourneys..

J

Jpetro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually end up losing a coin flip where i have a slight edge. I have had a few times where I build a big stack and lose a bit of it by loosening up.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early phase you should stay tight and only shove with premium because when a player moves all-in, some of the player would call them even with very marginal holdings in hopes of busting them out and receiving their bounty money.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
has its advantages and disadvantages but I think that is haroshy way to make money to the prize zone

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like knockouts because you can cover your entry fee when you knock a couple of people out.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I got hooked on knockout tourneys a few years ago. PDC gave the most points for playing them.

joker131

joker131

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its easy to pick the donks, sit back and watch the table, dont take long to find out ho u can get the cash in with for the extra cash

Farseer

Farseer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Upsides:
- Generally weaker players, especially bounties are usually either over-emphasized or totally ignored
- Aggressive player gains advantage
- Smaller rake (not in PSKO)

Downsides:
- Requires more concentration than regular tournaments. Also because you should play more aggressively than usually.
- Never good to latereg

lois505

lois505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like KO tourneys too, i dont need pay tounament buy in money if luck...

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One good thing I noticed is if you get on a roll knocking each player out and first place, you can make more than first place in a regular sng tourney.

K

kefir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
love it. You have to play them a lot more aggressive, than a usual ones. And they are at least for me high variance. But I am not shy to put my stack in the midlle for a knock-out.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need play agressive putting many cheaps.....win few cheaps in this tournaments isnt good, you need eliminate players to try win something more.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is difficult tourneys,you must to keep your stack better,to knockout players and to risk your part in tourney.And prizes are less then in standart tournaments.

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, for most of those KO tournaments, the KO reward is much smaller then normal price pool (like 15-20% to KO).
So you should play that close to normal strategy, and exploit the ppl going for rewards.
Of course if there is a spot which is about even in chips and you have nice chance to collect some rewards, go for it. But still the main taks is to get chips and reach FT (the rewards will come along the way).

I like those, because they have softer field from my experience.

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ko and progressive ko tournament has been introduced into the pokerstars micromillions about 9 month ago , so likely too much players like too play them, me too ... :marchmell

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KO tournaments are one of my favorites, especially if they are progressive KO's.

You can make so much money just in KO's alone and everyone is nearly terrible, willing to stack of light and do stupid things.

Along with rebuy tournaments these are my favorites tournaments to play.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KO's mean equity.
It's our job to make a good guess or calculation of this equity.
Whereas in a regular freezout playing some kinda hand might be EV- , in a KO tournament (esp progressive ones) that same hand might become (extremely) EV+ and profitable to play.
I think especially in an expected coinflip or close to coinflip situation we have to keep in mind how much more equity we actually have due to a possible KO bonus.
In a situation where we expect to be way behind tho, the possible bonus might not be enough to play the hand so don't get out of line there, just because there's a bonus.

L

LoneWolf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never got a happy result when playing knock out tourney :(

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have noticed that a couple of people "ignore" the bounties and play the tournaments as normal and the bounties are a bonus. I think they are wrong and that in these tournaments a lot of money can be made by watching and putting each person on your table at a level. No matter the buy-in amount you will find that there are a couple of "easy" bounty hunters which you will be able to pick off. Do this 3 times and you soon win your stake back and then you can play as you wish. Normally at this time with an above average stack.

Gl to all of you and use these as a bankroll building exercise. If you like these tournaments try out the ones on Pokerstars, I find these good and profitable. :D :D :D

P

pkr_man14

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love to play these because you can get a price for each player you knock out. And also, many people will call your pushes with weaker hands in order to know you out, and you can take a good advantage of that, trust me.