WSOP Colossus event. What would you do in this situation?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I have never been one for fame and glory but I am as greedy and needy for money as the next guy.
If I would be struck by incredible odds and become a multi millionaire I would make myself disappear. I would simply be faceless money and hide my wealth without any need to show off.
So rings and bracelets be dammed - just give me the money.

Gritz18

Gritz18

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The problem is you are out chipped with your stack of 50,000,000 (5BB) up against their 600,000,000 stack (60BB). However, to your surprise, your opponent offers to make a deal and end the tournament right there, proposing a 50/50 split in winnings, giving you just over $400,000.00, but they get the bracelet. You know the odds are very against you to take first place, but do you give up your chance to win a WSOP bracelet or do you take the deal? Why?
I would accept it right away, and even give the villain a kiss.😚😁🤣

I wouldn't have much of a chance, having 5bb and the villain with 60bb, the bracelet would be for the next opportunity, as the saying goes "But a bird in the hand is worth ten birds in the bush"😁

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The winning amount for the first and the second place is still large but there is only one winner and one bracelet. History and statistics remember only bracelets, so I would not miss the chance to win a bracelet.

Sebbour

Sebbour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Imagine you're playing in the WSOP Colossus event. After a few days of grueling live tournament poker action, you find yourself heads-up, sitting in 2nd place in chips! First place is a whopping $501,120 and second place takes home $300,410.

The problem is you are out chipped with your stack of 50,000,000 (5BB) up against their 600,000,000 stack (60BB). However, to your surprise, your opponent offers to make a deal and end the tournament right there, proposing a 50/50 split in winnings, giving you just over $400,000.00, but they get the bracelet. You know the odds are very against you to take first place, but do you give up your chance to win a WSOP bracelet or do you take the deal? Why?

View attachment 345920
I would accept the deal in the end. Any deal that gives me more money than second place is acceptible for me. Actually, I would probably accept it for 350K as well. But if I see opportunity I would negotiate for 450K. If I see that they are really into that bracelet, oh, I would do that. :)

For me, bracelet means nothing to me but 100 or 150k more is really good deal given the circumstances.

I would negotiate for a 20 minute break the dealer or whoever is in charge and go out, take deep breaths but I would feel relieved. When I'm back I would ask: "Is this your final offer?" and accept whatever is offered.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be a tough decision but I think I would accept the deal.
My chances of winning are very low and the bracelet doesn't mean so much to me.
So, even if I of course compete for the win, 100k is a huge amount of money.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would ponder for awhile. Then will gladly shake hands & take the deal! 100K will do a lot for my family & our parents. I wouldn't gamble it for $200K+a bracelet. I'm not a gambler after all. :)

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The winning amount for the first and the second place is still large but there is only one winner and one bracelet. History and statistics remember only bracelets, so I would not miss the chance to win a bracelet.
I would hope that in a case like this they have a way to put an asterisk after the "winner's" name because he or she didn't actually win the game. To not do that wouldn't be fair to those who played through to the end and prevailed.

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, that's a good question. But considering the situation and the small amount of chips I have, I would accept the deal without much thought.

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would happily take the deal for the extra 100k and they take the braclet.

Because the chances of you overturning that big of a chip deficit are very slim

Plus and extra 100k would give you alot more shots at brackets in other events.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would hope that in a case like this they have a way to put an asterisk after the "winner's" name because he or she didn't actually win the game. To not do that wouldn't be fair to those who played through to the end and prevailed.

Of course they have a way to put an asterisk after the "winner's" name. But the "winner's" name must be a single. And I consider that the one who has more chips will have the advantage to become the official champion.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Easy peasy, I'm taking the deal. What the hell am going to do with the bracelet in Belize??? It would end up in a box somewhere. Maybe I ask the guy if I can pretend I won it and have a picture with it. LOL. And think of how many other tournaments you could get into with that $100 K. And you could still have the 300K to take home with you. Ya, definitely an easy decision.

I

imnogood

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PH
Chips
Yea this is easy. Take the deal. An extra 100k in the pocket is great. A bracelet would be wonderful but the chances of you winning it are slim.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
If it was only $20K-$30K extra it would probably be more of a decision in which case I would probably take my chances with the 5 blinds.

For $100K extra I am taking the deal in a heartbeat.

I think it boils down to the individual on how much they value the prestige of winning a wsop bracelet whether or not they would take deal or go for Bracelet and win.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I take the deal immediately before they change their mind, I have no interest in fame or notoriety so things like trophies and titles mean very little to me and that is one heck of a deal to make considering the chip stacks.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I would take the money, that will be a nice boost of bankroll and after that I can play a lot more WSOP tournaments, and maybe I can win one of them and then have also a bracelet. Yea it will be nice to win such a big event, especially in such a big field tournament, but for a starting player, you mostly play for the $.

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I too am living on a small fixed pension so I would most definitely take the deal and not lose a minute's sleep over it.
However, if I was young and had a decent bankroll built that could be easily replaced I would go for that bracelet every time.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that this situation, as well as the AA all-in at first hand of Main Event, is not trivial. Well, they are trivial in theory. AA is snap-call. We study and train for situation like this. We want to be able to take the best decisions mathematically. That's why we follow bankroll management too. But these two questions have one thing in common: they are not everyday situations. This one, being in a Heads-up for a 6-digit score, does not happen everyday, specially in such a large event.

With this in mind, I would build my answer following these premises:

1. Theory point of view: being a 12:1 underdog in chips, his proposal is like a gift from heaven. I love heads-up, but everytime I play it, even against a weak opponent, the chances of losing are quite high. HU is a game of high variance, people might get there much more often because of the large ranges. With 5 BB, I have to go all-in with so many marginal hands, and the opponent will call us with many marginal hands as well, and he still would have a lot of equity. Also, with his chip advantage he can wait a little bit. He does not need to call me with K5o, for example, or even a Q6s. He can perfectly wait for an Ax or better King, knowing I would push my 5 BB very very often.

2. Emotional point of view: getting a bracelet and the glory of being a WSOP champion is amazing, but it can not (or should not) make me take emotional decisions. So many times I would lose my 5 BB and consequently, the bracelet and the extra money he offered to split.

3. Financial point of view: it does not matter if I don't have much money, or if I am very rich, this also should not be a factor to make me decide based on my current situation, like: "I don't need money, I want to gamble the bracelet"; or like: "I really need it, ok, take it and thank you". No, this needs to be evaluated mathematically. And math says that my chances are not that great, even if I was Doug Polk himself!

Therefore, my answer would be: "Thank you, mister/miss, I really appreciate it. You can take your bracelet, you deserved up to now, and I accept your proposal, it is very kind of you. Congratulations!" We shake hands and I register for the next event happy with a good, sound and rational decision :D

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do you go into tournaments with settling for second?? probably not, but under these circumstances, i would take the deal.

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Originally, I was always against deal arrangements at the final table and thought that tournaments should always be played in full.

However, if I get involved in the thought game and imagine what I would decide in this situation, then I think I would take this deal. Even when it comes to a WSOP bracelet, which means prestige in the poker scene, $100,000 more in everyday life is more important to me because it means more quality of life and everyday life will dominate the rest of my life and I will spend less time in the poker scene to be able to enjoy the prestige.

“Better a sparrow in the hand than a pigeon on the roof.”

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would take the deal. With the extra $$$ you could try for a bracelet another time, several times over.

I was heads up in a tournament at Foxwoods a few years ago. I was out chipped by at least 4 to 1. The guy who had me covered was a true luckbox and playing like a maniac. I felt I could outplay him to take first place. He was getting tired and offered to make a deal. I took it for the guaranteed money rather than what I thought I could make.

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well here I'm sat playing the daily $100 on PS, making silly mistake after silly mistake, reading and re-reading all the answers. Boy o boy, this one brings back memories!!! But being realistic, at the end of the day it's Hobson's Choice really.....there's no way through it and no way round it.....I would take the deal and go win my bracelet in another tourney. After all, you can play a lot of tourneys with $100k!!!!!

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
You know, I think I'm going to walk away from the deal.
Why would a player who is already so far ahead of me offer a deal? Is he afraid of me or does he want to get the bracelet easily?
In any case, to go so far as not to try to get the coveted bracelet is not for me.
If I lose, I won't then suffer and think about what I could win or at least try to win.
300 thousand is a good win. I just think that if we start making such deals, then in the end we will devalue the value of the WSOP bracelet. It needs to be won out, or I will say more - earned... but not to buy for, put the money that has not yet been extracted.
I would not have agreed to the deal, and even more so, if the chip had been the leader, I would not have offered the deal: if I had done this, I would not then have considered that I honestly won and deserved this bracelet.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ultimately poker is about is about making money. To make a deal that would give me $100k more than 2nd place, guaranteed, makes the most sense. It is 250 buy-ins for the Colossus! Given the huge chip disparity, the likelihood of me making an amazing comeback to win is extremely low. The title and bracelet would be nice, but I would take the money and run!

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I might be one of the few who would decline. I never got into poker for the money. I got into poker, because I enjoy the competitiveness of the game. This is also one of the reasons why I prefer tournament poker over cash games. The money's nice and it may come and go, but your name would be etched as a champion, and nothing can take that away from you.

CNXRegie

CNXRegie

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Imagine you're playing in the WSOP Colossus event. After a few days of grueling live tournament poker action, you find yourself heads-up, sitting in 2nd place in chips! First place is a whopping $501,120 and second place takes home $300,410.

View attachment 345920
Considering the deal on the table, it's a bit of a tricky situation. Winning a WSOP bracelet is a dream for any poker player, and playing for the title would always be my mindset, not just the cash. There's a certain prestige and legacy that comes with being a bracelet winner, that even NBA players wanted to trade their NBA rings for WSOP bracelet.

However, I'm also a practical player. I assess the situation, the odds, and the potential financial gain. If I'm significantly outchipped and the chances of a comeback are slim, I might consider taking the deal, especially if it's a fair split that secures a substantial payday. It's a balance between chasing the dream and making a pragmatic decision.

In the end, it's a personal call. Do I go all-in for the bracelet, fueled by passion and the desire for poker glory, or do I take the surefire cash, recognizing the current chip disadvantage? It's a decision that involves weighing the emotional and strategic aspects of the game. It also depends on my current mindset during that time. I hope I find myself in that situation sooner!🤔🏆💸

WSOP