Tips For Dealing With Tilt!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How did I miss this? I will read it on the plane tomorrow when I am not in the middle of anything!

ethon

ethon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Need to reread this post....down 150$ today :-/

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Very nice read! Post of the month, imo.

JeffJaze

JeffJaze

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very good blog, ive experianced all these beats and more, id love you to read my blog and give me some feedback

D

Dam Yankee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a great read! Hope I can impliment a few of the tips...not only did i see a few things that i tend to do wrong - I was happy to read about a few of the things i tend to do right. So, all in all, for me, it was 2 slaps on the face, followed by two pats on the back, and a few haha's along the way!

n8dawg7777

n8dawg7777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally when i feel like my confidence is gone because of tilt, i will drink and then see how well i play. not for real money of course, but it makes me feel better

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, congrats on your 1k post.

And second, this couldn't have come at a better time for me. About a month ago, I came back from a 3 month hiatus from poker. I took the long break because it was just not any fun anymore. I had lost small b/r's on two different sites within a week and was just not in the mood for even a win.

After I came back to poker I cashed in my first CC freeroll on FT for $7.50. I took that and played it and got it up around $30 within a week and also made $15 in bonus money on their "Take2" promotion. With that, I started playing in their $3.30 90 man SnG's. After a couple of early finishes I took the 2nd place spot for $43. Then, I played in a $3.30 HU Shootout tourney and took 10th for ~$25. All in all I was up over $100 and feeling pretty good about my game and poker in general.

Then, I woke up. For four days straight I've lost money. What was over $100 is now below $40! I'm back to that same old feeling of "Poker sucks!". Every donk with a call button is catching his two outer, hitting the river flush, checking his trips down to the river when I catch a TPTK and then reraising me just enough to where I want to call. You know the deal.

But after reading this absolutely greatly written article, I'm going to calm down and try to get ahold of my game again. I've been utilizing the FT Poker Academy (great stuff imo), scrounging through CC, and taking breaks often, but it looks like I might need to do more... i.e. quit playing for a day or two.

But anyway, thanks for the article. Not only was it interesting and funny, but just all around good information for players who are where I am right now.

Umm, you didn't tell enough about your buy-ins. Once you got to over $100 did you stick with the $3 90 seat sng's or did you keep moving up?

See playing a $2 + 25c 90 seat sng would have been playing at 5% of your br. I suspect there's more variance in the 90 seaters than the single table SNG's which are easier to cash and win in(heck even your basic odds of winning/cashing in the 90 seater are lower). For instance it's a lot easier to place in the top 3 of 9 than it is to place in the top 15 of 90. Really a 90 seater's rather like a mini-MTT, it's even listed under multi table in the SNG's.

I just feel like until you play within your br as much as possible, tilt won't just hurt, it'll devestate. I don't want that to happen to you. But of course if you reeled yourself in once reaching $100+ then all my worry's for nothing.

GL all the same.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
should have just gave it a break...could have saved a good chunk of my BR

i feel sick.

Hang in there. Know the feeling, we all do. Doesn't seem to matter how big or small your BR is, until it's positively huge, these things will make you sick(only I don't know anyone with a huge BR, so maybe it makes them sick too).

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Umm, you didn't tell enough about your buy-ins. Once you got to over $100 did you stick with the $3 90 seat sng's or did you keep moving up?

See playing a $2 + 25c 90 seat sng would have been playing at 5% of your br. I suspect there's more variance in the 90 seaters than the single table SNG's which are easier to cash and win in(heck even your basic odds of winning/cashing in the 90 seater are lower). For instance it's a lot easier to place in the top 3 of 9 than it is to place in the top 15 of 90. Really a 90 seater's rather like a mini-MTT, it's even listed under multi table in the SNG's.

I just feel like until you play within your br as much as possible, tilt won't just hurt, it'll devestate. I don't want that to happen to you. But of course if you reeled yourself in once reaching $100+ then all my worry's for nothing.

GL all the same.

I limited myself to one $3 90 man tourney, and then played the $1 and $2 SnG's. I'm just not comfortable in the ring games anymore, and even SnG's drive me effin' nuts.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limited myself to one $3 90 man tourney, and then played the $1 and $2 SnG's. I'm just not comfortable in the ring games anymore, and even SnG's drive me effin' nuts.

Oh that's more than fine. Everyone deserves a treat after a big win and I consider another tournament to be a nice treat.

Did you notice that play drops a level on weekends? I'm trying to decide if it's better to keep rebuying at my normal level, or just move up a level until late Monday/early Tuesday. It stands to reason I'll be able to figure out WTF's up on the weekend, but how much of my money will it cost me to figure it out?

I have noticed though that I keep getting my money in @ 80%+ to win and losing all the same. I know I'm supposed to win more long term, but even with $100-$200(which I don't even have yet), I'm worried I can't wait out the long term. I feel like fate still plays a very strong part. Yes the 80% counts long term, but can I even make it to the long term? And yeah, I really feel like fate will decide.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post Storm! :)

A lot of your advise in the article seems to tend toward bankroll protection and temporary "stop loss" measures to combat tilt, and they are all very sound.

Perhaps you might do a follow up article on combating the underlying causes of tilt (our expectations regarding poker, techniques for preventing emotion in general during play, etc.)?

Alan Schoonmaker's books might be a good place to start some research if you were feeling up to it... Also, THIS book is really excellent and highly recommended.

There is an article about tilt in this post that you might find interesting:
Note that there "tilt play" doesn't actually require "tilt emotion"-- it's a natural human response in risk aversion/perception to recent loss/gain.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A lot of your advise in the article seems to tend toward bankroll protection and temporary "stop loss" measures to combat tilt, and they are all very sound.

Perhaps you might do a follow up article on combating the underlying causes of tilt (our expectations regarding poker, techniques for preventing emotion in general during play, etc.)?

Alan Schoonmaker's books might be a good place to start some research if you were feeling up to it... Also, THIS book is really excellent and highly recommended.

Note that there "tilt play" doesn't actually require "tilt emotion"-- it's a natural human response in risk aversion/perception to recent loss/gain.

Is it worth a read, as I wasn't all that impressed with the Psychology of Poker?

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
..good read, as long as it was...mmmm, interesting about the times in which you can be on tiltand not known about it...like doing great in a toureny, thinking ur brilliant, then jumping into a new tourney and expecting to cake walk it, only to be out by breaktime...i do it alot, espcially with freerolls..

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've just learned a new way to deal with tilt... but I can't tell you or I would incriminate myself in a court of law. Plus the whole gag order thing. But it works!;)

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome Thread Storm

I could really feel the intensity as you discribed some of the things that can send you over the edge.Great tips!

Snow :cool:
TY! I was hoping the readers could follow along and feel the intensity of the stories as I described them, I'm glad it worked.
Wow. Wonderful. I printed this one out too and I'm going to put it in my "snowbook". Thanks for the gift, Storm!
Very good! And great idea to keep some helpful info by your side as you play. And TYVM for the best compliment I have received - it was very flattering!!! (The one you pm'd me).
First of all, congrats on your 1k post.

And second, this couldn't have come at a better time for me. About a month ago, I came back from a 3 month hiatus from poker. I took the long break because it was just not any fun anymore. I had lost small b/r's on two different sites within a week and was just not in the mood for even a win.

After I came back to poker I cashed in my first CC freeroll on FT for $7.50. I took that and played it and got it up around $30 within a week and also made $15 in bonus money on their "Take2" promotion. With that, I started playing in their $3.30 90 man SnG's. After a couple of early finishes I took the 2nd place spot for $43. Then, I played in a $3.30 HU Shootout tourney and took 10th for ~$25. All in all I was up over $100 and feeling pretty good about my game and poker in general.

Then, I woke up. For four days straight I've lost money. What was over $100 is now below $40! I'm back to that same old feeling of "Poker sucks!". Every donk with a call button is catching his two outer, hitting the river flush, checking his trips down to the river when I catch a TPTK and then reraising me just enough to where I want to call. You know the deal.

But after reading this absolutely greatly written article, I'm going to calm down and try to get ahold of my game again. I've been utilizing the FT Poker Academy (great stuff imo), scrounging through CC, and taking breaks often, but it looks like I might need to do more... i.e. quit playing for a day or two.

But anyway, thanks for the article. Not only was it interesting and funny, but just all around good information for players who are where I am right now.
TY! I did mean for some parts to be funny and happy to hear you found the humor! Great idea to quit playing for a couple days (and yes, I recommend the FT Academy). What I didn't hear was you mentioning reviewing your hand history. While on break, review those hands, it's possible you made some errors and you'll be able to see them now while on break.
Need to reread this post....down 150$ today :-/
Ouch! Sorry to hear that! Review your hand histories! It's really important to see in which areas you could be doing better in order to improve. Look for leaks!
Very nice read! Post of the month, imo.
TYVM! One of the best compliments I've received by far! :eek:
very good blog, ive experianced all these beats and more, id love you to read my blog and give me some feedback
TY! Send me a pm with the info for your blog and I'll take a peak at it when I get some time.
What a great read! Hope I can impliment a few of the tips...not only did i see a few things that i tend to do wrong - I was happy to read about a few of the things i tend to do right. So, all in all, for me, it was 2 slaps on the face, followed by two pats on the back, and a few haha's along the way!
Excellent! I love that you've mentioned this! You shouldn't look for mistakes only, although important, it is also important to know what you are doing right!!!

Good idea to limit yourself right now while your game isn't at its' best. I definitely recommend staying away from the ring games until you feel comfortable again. I did this for a very long time, I probably went 3 months without playing ring games online earlier this year.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh that's more than fine. Everyone deserves a treat after a big win and I consider another tournament to be a nice treat.

Did you notice that play drops a level on weekends? I'm trying to decide if it's better to keep rebuying at my normal level, or just move up a level until late Monday/early Tuesday. It stands to reason I'll be able to figure out WTF's up on the weekend, but how much of my money will it cost me to figure it out?

I have noticed though that I keep getting my money in @ 80%+ to win and losing all the same. I know I'm supposed to win more long term, but even with $100-$200(which I don't even have yet), I'm worried I can't wait out the long term. I feel like fate still plays a very strong part. Yes the 80% counts long term, but can I even make it to the long term? And yeah, I really feel like fate will decide.
It is well known that good players flock to the poker sites on weekends because there is such a huge variety of fish to be found. The nights are even better as many are tipping back a few drinks! You will have to do what you feel comfortable with, but I don't recommend going too far beyond your br! If find some fish and they just happen to be running good and bust you down a level or two this could be quite hurtful - not only to your bankroll but to your confidence.

TYVM!!! I do plan on a follow up and I haven't gone too far into psychology yet, some of the tips I took out did touch more on this aspect. I have not read any books by Alan Schoonmaker or any on tilt. I plan to do this eventually and appreciate the suggestions!!!
I've just learned a new way to deal with tilt... but I can't tell you or I would incriminate myself in a court of law. Plus the whole gag order thing. But it works!;)

Now you've got us all curious - you've got to at least give us a hint!

KICKIN_ACES

KICKIN_ACES

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you Storm for a well thought out post that points some obvious things out that I already do to deal with tilt, but other not so obvious ideas that when I start utilizing them will surely improve my game :top:

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is well known that good players flock to the poker sites on weekends because there is such a huge variety of fish to be found. The nights are even better as many are tipping back a few drinks! You will have to do what you feel comfortable with, but I don't recommend going too far beyond your br! If find some fish and they just happen to be running good and bust you down a level or two this could be quite hurtful - not only to your bankroll but to your confidence.

It's the weekends/weekend nights I've been noticing as being particularly nuts. Haven't seen weeknights go nearly as crazy, ever. I'm basically at the bottom. I don't even consider my money to be a proper br at the moment. It's only seed money for a proper br. I was just thinking up 1 level. Never many and not for an extended period. More like ducking under an awning to get out of the storm than setting up residence.

Thing is I'm used to sites where every day's completely nuts. I can only guess that a very big difference is only noted on sites where general play is pretty high.

At any rate one level up for ring or sng's on weekends seems to play like my normal level on weekdays + there's usuallly one or two people with lots of loot who are drunk as skunks, tilting, or both. It actually feels like they're giving you money. Not like you're winning it, or taking it, like they're giving it. Who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

I'm only on the fence because to win at the very bottom I have to go against my nature. I have to morph into some strange nitty-rock-fish creature. My nature's to be much more aggressive than that(not really loose, but not tight enough to start a diamond factory in my bathroom either).

Not that any of it especially matters at the moment because lately, no matter how many times I get my chips in good(have something + it's only getting better and I'm aware of right around where my percentage is, but learn it's a bit higher still when run through the calculator), wham! They get their 1 of 1-3 outs :confused: . I have something + drawing very live and it should go well but I end up a bloody stain. So I clear my head and try again, and squish! They do it again. At this point, I have to sit out, and if I get stubborn and force myself to play for time I do something very stupid, I start to chase because everybody else is getting stupid-lucky, why not me? But of course that doesn't work out very well either. Officially tilted.

But in the brief moments of clarity, the ones in between having my ass handed to me on a Melmac platter(I'm too low for silver-plate let alone silver), in those moments I know it's a sucktacular downswing.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it worth a read, as I wasn't all that impressed with the Psychology of Poker?

Agree, it's more a treatise on profiling opponents (LAG, rock, etc.).

The Ian Taylor book is probably the best "psychology" book out there.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now you've got us all curious - you've got to at least give us a hint!

It involves noisy neighbors, a chainsaw, two gallons of gas, a weed eater rigged with steel cable, and a kitten. But, really, that's all I can say.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It involves noisy neighbors, a chainsaw, two gallons of gas, a weed eater rigged with steel cable, and a kitten. But, really, that's all I can say.

Too complicated. Much easier to just set some overly hairsprayed cheap weave on fire. They're everywhere too. You'd think people who've won hundreds of thousands of dollars would spring for good hair, but no-o-o-o...

Nah, I wouldn't dare(but I do daydream about it). Can I guess? Is the kitten bait?

T

testreet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going on tilt is my middle name...especially after a ridiculous bad beat

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really good blog, Storm.

I, also, like the Poker Mindset by Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger. It has a long, excellent chapter on tilt.

And I agree that people's expectations factor heavily into tilt. Once one realizes that poker is a long-run game of slight edges, it helps a lot. Or, at least, it helped me. It's not an easy money game.

Rigorous bankroll management also helps a ton with tilt. If losing your stack is not particularly damaging to your bankroll as a whole, it helps you get over that beat a lot easier.

Related Full Tilt Reviews: English - Dutch - German - Spanish - Portuguese - FT Casino - Full Tilt Poker Mobile Poker Tips