Beginner wanting to start a poker career?

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn't the average income of poker players in the world be $0? For someone to win, someone else has to lose. If you incorporate rake, the average income ins probably well below 0.

Or maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah surely it's negative after rake.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Wouldn't the average income of poker players in the world be $0? For someone to win, someone else has to lose. If you incorporate rake, the average income ins probably well below 0.

Or maybe I'm missing something.
Yah but that's just for the guys who don't want to win the moniez (pretty obvious I'd think). Personally I watch quite a bit of the pokerz on TV & I just know I could make a killing at it (just need to get up a big enough roll from these freerollz first)

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yah but that's just for the guys who don't want to win the moniez (pretty obvious I'd think). Personally I watch quite a bit of the pokerz on TV & I just know I could make a killing at it (just need to get up a big enough roll from these freerollz first)

Yeah I think I'm a bit like Phil Ivey cuz I has teh sick reading skillz but I keep getting unlucky when lucky donks suck out on me. Otherwise I'd be a winner.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think I'm a bit like Phil Ivey cuz I has teh sick reading skillz but I keep getting unlucky when lucky donks suck out on me. Otherwise I'd be a winner.

Wait a minnit.... I thought I was Phil Ivey???? Dammit.....does this mean I have to be Durr AGAIN???

M

meemawwilley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really hard starting out playing poker and you don't want to get off on the wrong foot by playing underage. Study as much as you can and wait until you become legal to play. There's alot of books and websites out there to help you so take advantage of them. Good luck to you

M

meemawwilley

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot but I guess those coaches charge. Im just looking for people who have the same goals and motivation as me. Maybe start up a channel and talk and learn together. As of now I play on lock poker if any of you play let me know.
I play on Lock poker also, look for sharonwilley57, maybe I will see you there.

C

CaptainKout

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dude, learn from your dad. Get a trade! In the US recent college grads have a 60% unemployment rate. I'm 120,000 in debt with two majors(Math-econ and honors) and will be working at a pizza place or back on the farm. 50k is way more than you should expect with a degree plus you have an in to the industry. And I agree poker is fun, so I'm probably not taking it seriously enough.

Also look at this to see just how much money is lost by poker players.http://www.pokertableratings.com/top-countries

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No doubt! Especially when I'm puttin' 'em on 'AK' cuz they like almost always have it (soooooo obvious too.... 'yup.. 'AK'.. BOOM!!! 'gg'... wtf? then they hit the f'n A on the river ALWAYS!!! soooooooo rigged!!!)

101ABN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that you should find a job in IT as a steady source of income. Keep playing poker for fun and as a secondary income (if/when you are winning). If you are winning, pump up your bankroll to allow you more risk. Worst case scenario, you have your job's income if variance bites.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While you are waiting to turn 18, get a poker training software (research and pick a good one with a simultor for practice) and read some books. That way you can begin by thinking about the game in the right way. Try not to focus on poker as a career because you may put to much pressure on yourself to win ALOT early.

moemtg

moemtg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow... there is a lot of negativity in this thread which I would not think would be becoming of Cardschat members. Also, I do believe the original poster has been scared off...

If you are still viewing updates on your thread, don't give up your dreams... but live in the bounds of reality. DON'T give up playing poker before you even start... by the same hand.. try not to get mouthy by correcting others in a condescending way... just creates "bad blood".

Keep this in mind... I have been playing poker (live and online... mostly online) for 6 years now... even after all this time... countless hours of reading materials.. watching videos.. etc... I still consider myself to be only a low-intermediate player. I still have problems every once in awhile with knowing when to quit and walk away from a bad day of poker and end up tilting a little... This by far is my biggest weakness and increases my variance. As far as my game... I do believe it is better than average and I do have patience.

Always be receptive to others advice and mute the "hater". Remember... Pride always comes before the Fall.

I wish the best of skill and a little luck to your game... Have patience... and remember that you always learn something new everyday (or make an effort to learn something new everyday).

My two cents,
Moe :cool:

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow... there is a lot of negativity in this thread which I would not think would be becoming of Cardschat members. Also, I do believe the original poster has been scared off...

If you are still viewing updates on your thread, don't give up your dreams... but live in the bounds of reality. DON'T give up playing poker before you even start... by the same hand.. try not to get mouthy by correcting others in a condescending way... just creates "bad blood".

Keep this in mind... I have been playing poker (live and online... mostly online) for 6 years now... even after all this time... countless hours of reading materials.. watching videos.. etc... I still consider myself to be only a low-intermediate player. I still have problems every once in awhile with knowing when to quit and walk away from a bad day of poker and end up tilting a little... This by far is my biggest weakness and increases my variance. As far as my game... I do believe it is better than average and I do have patience.

Always be receptive to others advice and mute the "hater". Remember... Pride always comes before the Fall.

I wish the best of skill and a little luck to your game... Have patience... and remember that you always learn something new everyday (or make an effort to learn something new everyday).

My two cents,
Moe :cool:

Solid post here, Moe. I especially like the bolded bits. Things I try to incorporate into my daily life as well. WP.

MTTGOD57

MTTGOD57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but if you cant beat 2nl you seriously have problems with your game. 2nl is on par with facebook poker the players are that bad. I can beat 50nl heads up cash games and im not even a cash game player. although my edge in these is not anywhere as big as it use to be since i quit. :D:D:D.

P

pierceisgod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are playing way too high stakes you should bump down a little bit to even $1NL, I like to have 100 bi gblings when I play.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Coming from a home game setting and playing exclusively that way for over 40 years, I was new to the internet in 2006 and found out that I was playing the wrong way for most of my life. I am still a break even low limit player and it definitely takes talent to break through. The higher you go in stakes is generally how good you are going to be. IMO you build talent through experience and will not improve until you play better opponents. Your wins will be bigger but so will your losses. Books won't allow you to develop a "feel" for the game.

oacnaf

oacnaf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NOT gonna get into all the drama in this thread.... I'll just say to OP that you're young yet. Why not play part-time while focussing on getting your degree just in case you're not the next Phil Ivey. Study the game. Study other things, too.

Play the game seriously, but NOT as your main source of income, for a couple of years.

+1

OP, find a profession you can love at 35 just as much as you love playing poker at 17, something that gives you the same feelings of accomplishment and achievement . I know at 17 that was the most absurd thing I had ever heard, but now I realize how important that is.

Trust me, work hard and there will still be enough time to play poker, once you've established yourself career-wise, even more time will be at your disposal. Heck, even adopt that semi-pro moniker if it floats your boat. Just imagine being able to play poker like a pro, without having to worry about putting food on the table like some "pros". Get your degree, slowly work your way up to an annual income of 65k-70k, and you're set. A strong base of varied knowledge, street smarts, intuition will pay off at a poker table more then you could imagine. If I could do it all over again (hah) that would be it.

K

kevdog410

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This sounds cliche but just try and learn from your mistakes and improve your game more and more as time goes on. You will hit your fair share of bumps no matter how good you are

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just start with your $100 or whatever and play correct BR management and go from there. I wouldn't have any illusions about being a pro until you make at least $30k for a few years in a row. Just play because you enjoy it and maybe eventually you'll get some nice money out of it.

I started with $20 and after like 4 years was only up around $3-4k. Of course, I prolly averaged like a half hour a day and I played way too tight of BR management to start out with. I thought I was making progress and then Black Friday happened. Now I started from $0 and have made it to a few hundred.

Basically I'm just saying online is unreliable and it takes a lot of time and it is hard going. It can be fun, but being a pro would be a grind, and that is a lot of pressure to put on your self when you are just starting at 2nl.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This advice was given to many of us years ago here sorry i cant find it, I disagreed at the time but it can help you.I think wvhillbilly suggested or agreed with this....
If you are learning or starting begin with the lowest amount you can begin with ie .50 c or $1.00 Turbo sngs 9 men or 18s and play the proper hands. I'm not the best writer BUT this will teach you how to play . there are more threads here on how to play them. But it will teach you starting hands, once you have the grasp of hands move to wherever you are comfortable playing..cash Mtts or sngs

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw so many negativism in most of the answers... He is just a 17 years guy who is starting in poker, don't know why some persons already telling him to quit the game. I do believe that we have to have bigger dreams (his case, win $50k/year) to achieve in the long run, but maybe you should start to set small goals (like, in my first semester I'll study poker a certain amount of hours per week and I'll play a certain amount of hours, I plan to win this amount of money in the end of month..but, always be realistic with you skill level and stakes level..). My advice to you is have patience because it can take a while to achieve your goals and always have a B plan.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just skimming but....cliffs....guy goes from "loving poker" and wanting to be a pro to "done forever" in the space of 3 months. Sounds about right...... Not gonna pick on him 'cause I believe he's gone now.