Beginner wanting to start a poker career?

B

beerobrian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the post about playing poker stops becoming a hobby and becomes a job. I have been trying to make my poker play profitable from month to month, but this game can crush your soul while making you age poorly! Best of luck.

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im posting because im anti spidey...thor or iron man would kick his ass, heck the moth might even take him.

S

seaman747

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Under age

Hi,
I agree with Samango as to your age etc.
I would advice not play on more tables than one to start with.
What i would advice you to play on speed poker there on the lowest scale.
You never get bored there and you can wait for the best hands and play out of best positions.
A lot of reading on hand selection and with which hands to play at which table position.
And pls wait till ur 18.
Good luck

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,
I agree with Samango as to your age etc.
I would advice not play on more tables than one to start with.
What i would advice you to play on speed poker there on the lowest scale.
You never get bored there and you can wait for the best hands and play out of best positions.
A lot of reading on hand selection and with which hands to play at which table position.
And pls wait till ur 18.
Good luck

Shame you didn't read post 119

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The truth is that I feel the same. I earn a little and after a while lose what I gain is very frustrated! recoemendaria I keep reading and keep practicing is best, the practice leads to perfection!

X

xCipx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
However u play, just dont let the winning high make u buy in for bigger and bigger ring games/tournaments. There is going to b a point where u either win 5/6 tournaments or 200$ in ring games for a day, ur normal instinct would b "i just made so much in those low stakes, i should b making more on bigger stakes" just stick to what made u that money to begin with, like someone said before the bigger blinds/buy ins u play the better,and better the players get. But good luck man

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering your age, I wouldn't get too involved in poker play online until you're legal.

Consider the unlikely scenario where you turn out to be some poker prodigy and are taking down big dollar tournaments...what's the good of that when you're underage and can't collect...and when you're discovered...you'll lose any money that was there.

Focus on important things like school and careers and think of poker as a fun side hobby, at least until you can legally play.

crisbiazus17

crisbiazus17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a true professional worries about is not the luck of the cards but the changes in the poker market.

crisbiazus17

crisbiazus17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Professional poker players do not graduate from Poker Pro School, and there is also no guild that bestows the "pro" status on players.

F

FLOnaldoRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am like him , i started very focused on this game . I deposit some 150 $ and now i see cause it's very hard . You play against very good players , against soft specially on PS , so .. if you want to make career on poker .. I suggest to change your opinion , it's not impossible but definetly it's very hard . To make money probably go to work not to play poker :) .
Try it , and if u can make money keep it well and everything will be ok but if you start 1 on hand it's hard to quit this passion and 2 on hand ... you want to get back the investition and deposit more and bla bla bla .
The idea it's to try and to see what and how works the bussiness :d

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello R1ace it seems you have a good mind set and are willing to learn good things to have when starting out in the poker world. My advice to you would be this, do not think short term if you truly want to be successful, you must realize that poker is a long term grind . Building a bankroll from nothing out of freerolls and promotions etc. is possible I am in the midst of doing this myself, patience and determination are the keys,if you approach it as a challenge and try to make it enjoyable for yourself helps too. Set yourself some reasonable goals and set a time limit too reach them and see how you do. Gl too you .....scorp

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering your age, I wouldn't get too involved in poker play online until you're legal.

Consider the unlikely scenario where you turn out to be some poker prodigy and are taking down big dollar tournaments...what's the good of that when you're underage and can't collect...and when you're discovered...you'll lose any money that was there.

Focus on important things like school and careers and think of poker as a fun side hobby, at least until you can legally play.
+1000:)

muckaveli

muckaveli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your not of legal age to play poker...don't play...simple as that

But don't follow my advice cuz I'm just some random guy on a forum...

iDONK

D

Dan711

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to focus on 1 or2 tables! No need to jump in and start playing 5 out the gate especially with a small roll. Focus on individual tables so u can watch how ur opponents are playing and play to ur advantages when singling out the weaker players. 5 tables will be hard to remember how certain players play and u may miss opportunities on easy money!

rivernickels

rivernickels

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My only advice is read every book you can and just play for fun. Make a small deposit, play micro stakes. Go over your sessions when your done and see what mistakes you make. Make a list of the mistakes, and every time you make the mistake in a future game, put a line next to it. Be never satisfied. Be always aimed toward perfection. If you make money and get rich, awesome. If you don't, which you won't, you had fun and you learned something.

M

Magneto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a poker career, you should have enough money and discipline.

Do you want to be 100% per poker or side by earning money in poker

Last edited by a moderator:
RajDev1979

RajDev1979

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
till then read poker study material, play on fb, get some experience

babarooni

babarooni

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like it is ritual for all new members to post on this dead post from years ago. So here you go. I am posting also. Must get my name on this thread.

Kparadis84

Kparadis84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest thing to know is that you typically are going to lose money before you ever make money. I have been playing poker for quite awhile now and I lost a lot of money before I started realizing the things that I was doing wrong. Example: Playing certain cards out of position. Study up, play free rolls every chance you get, try to invest a smaller amount of money in to your learning stages of poker. I made the mistake of not doing that when I started playing online poker.

Online poker is very different from the real world... and it took me a long time to realize that and to start gaining the information that I needed to start being at least somewhat successful online, instead of losing my money more than winning.

B

Bkooda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
50 k year average salary. Lol we wish!! My tip would be to just enjoy playing low stakes next Friday to nothing poker. Learn the basics, read and watch educational videos. As you improve so will your bank roll. Your young and in education, poker can consume alot of hours and learning, but put your freetime to your friends. Dont lose yourself to playinv to much poker too early. At 18 to be, balance your lifestyle with enjoying 'fun' poker. Before spending money learn the game and play with play money on pokerstars or whereever. Too many new players come in and throw money away wonder why get frustrated and throw even more away on tilt. Baaaadd idea. Always one for following your dreams, but reality comes first buddy. Work hard so you can play hard.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest thing to know is that you typically are going to lose money before you ever make money. I have been playing poker for quite awhile now and I lost a lot of money before I started realizing the things that I was doing wrong. Example: Playing certain cards out of position. Study up, play free rolls every chance you get, try to invest a smaller amount of money in to your learning stages of poker. I made the mistake of not doing that when I started playing online poker.

Online poker is very different from the real world... and it took me a long time to realize that and to start gaining the information that I needed to start being at least somewhat successful online, instead of losing my money more than winning.

Two very good points that I highlighted in bold.

Beginners always say they understand the importance of position.... But then they are raising K-Jo UTG. And they just want to play every hand. "it was suited"....

zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The grand eproblema of beginners, and do not give much value to the position, is to believe in "magic". com they think will turn ... "Oh, I'm 57d, I have a good guess, I'll pay that will hit the flop." Kkkkk, burst even if there's no way ... Only time will teach ...