Beginner wanting to start a poker career?

davygold78

davygold78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well have you watch poker Scene yet? Which Popular live Poker players are not good on internet poker? Of course you need more skill for Live play, but again poker is poker internet or live its not so diferent. :)

N

nab76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well what ever you do set urself a limit and stick to it, it is easy to get in to a funk and want to play through it but dont go past ur limit

zveri666

zveri666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not deposit 100$ if I were you. I would start playing freerolls and build my bankroll from that. That way if you ever lose everything you dont feel as bad,

Z

zingbust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dive in head first...deposit as much as you can possibly afford to...if you have beginner's luck, immediately take all you won from that and buy into a deepstacked cash game for your entire bankroll...try to build that up very quickly...if things go your way, you'll be a very rich person in no time...gl to you, man

Kparadis84

Kparadis84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once thought I could be a pro when I turned $2 on pokestars into $100 in a couple of hours. It was the best heater of my life and unknown to me, to be my absolute downfall for a couple of years. It gave me false hope. It was only when I went right back to the drawing board, posted on forums, made blogs and studied and studied and studied that I even became a winning player. And I still am far from being pro after all of that.

I wish you the best of luck with this OP, but please for your sake, don't expect it to be an easy ride. It absolutely wont be.

With that out of the way, please feel welcome on this site as I'm sure many people will be willing to help you achieve your goals sooner than if you tried it alone. A lot of good players here whose advice will be very useful in the coming months :)

edit 50k is well above the country average. I believe it to be around the 25k mark actually. That is of course if you go by the mean average. The median would be stupid because of all the rich people.

First off, I love your avatar! Secondly, thanks for the post. I will definitely keep in mind that it is not an easy ride and to not get overly excited over a win here or there until I become consistent. Heck, If I could even profit 10k from poker a year, I'd take it. lol

M

michael demichele

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone who did the whole poker career thing at a young age, my shortly written advice would be to have fun, go on the run of your life, feel free to make your money and make friends along the way. Do it up as big as you want to. And in the end, I'd recommend that you really look towards having a basis in your life that is something other than poker. It's a lot easier to build the groundwork for a good life for yourself in your 30s when you're in your 20s than it is to build it in your 30s.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First off, I love your avatar! Secondly, thanks for the post. I will definitely keep in mind that it is not an easy ride and to not get overly excited over a win here or there until I become consistent. Heck, If I could even profit 10k from poker a year, I'd take it. lol

It's Maru the cat :) He's all over youtube if you want to look him up.

Wonder what ever happened to OP. Lewl.

W

waikato08

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, I will say that this is NOT good idea, nor is it a good system for you. You need to start out small, VERY small. set yourself a $5 or max of $10 per week, to play with. You won't make much profit, but you wont lose much either.Continue playing 0.01/0.02 blinds, and if you are going to play tournaments then I wouldn't advise going over the 1.10 buyins until you have a real feel for them.
I recommend that you should stay at 0.01/0.02 blind ring games, and micro st & go short-handed tournaments, for about a year. That way you will start to get some expereince under your belt, and will start to get an instinct on what to play with and what to fold.

T

TheLulham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 17 is far too young to consider a Poker career focus on your university education

radman

radman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone who did the whole poker career thing at a young age, my shortly written advice would be to have fun, go on the run of your life, feel free to make your money and make friends along the way. Do it up as big as you want to. And in the end, I'd recommend that you really look towards having a basis in your life that is something other than poker. It's a lot easier to build the groundwork for a good life for yourself in your 30s when you're in your 20s than it is to build it in your 30s.
I agree whole hardly that a goal as professional poker player is a lofty one.
I have noticed that a large % of pro's have a formal education. This means that if your dream doesn't come true to your expectations you have a way to earn a living. Meaning most successful people in any way of life always had a backup plan. This doesn't mean you can't pursue your dream, while getting an education. My son is working towards making the jump to pro. But he also has a masters degree in economics and statistics.

READ N READ AND HAVE A BACKUP PLAN