The Art of Bluffing (Day 11 Course Discussion)

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bluffing is mainly for balance. It helps to get paid with our value bets and also prevent equity realization from our opponents.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice video, I really do like it! There is an other aspect of bluffing, it's on the preflop, so we can steal the blinds. Playing low stakes, a lot of limping is encountered, and a 2b on the BB makes it really worth it.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 11.. 19 to go

After watching this lesson i realize how bad i am at bluffing, i am always try to bluff on bad boards and the calling station players :( Even when i was answering the 1st quiz question i answered wrong, i would bluff that board trying to represent a 810s hand or an 9x hand. But i answered correctly the river question :D

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just have to finish Day 10 and I'm done with the 2nd week of lessons.

Day 11 The Art of Bluffing

Tidbits from the video:
Value betting is more important than bluffing
Bluffs are for when opponents tell you they're weak, or scare cards on the flop,
Should be bluffing more Heads up and against weak opponents
Scare cards like over cards, four to straights etc are good time to bluff.
Bluffing hands are ones that do not have show down value.

Liked the commentary on the 87 example.

KQ example highlights that bluffing should not be your default play but bluffing is based on your read of your opponent.

Said no to the 1st part of the review question because the turn wasn't a larger card than the flop cards or a flush card and holding two 2 over cards you could hit one on the river.

If an over card comes on the river like an Ace then it depends on if the opponent is the type that would call a raise or lead out with only an ace or a pair. If the river is an Ace then forget about the river bet it.

Didn't get the second review question. I'm thinking they either have the 9 or 7 and they're going to call you down regardless or they're the sticky type that will call and call with ace hi thinking an ace will save them and for this example an Ace hits.

Overall it all depends on your read of the opponent as Collin said in the beginning of the vid.

Ebook tidbits:
Really just goes over things already mentioned in the video but good to go over again.

Good times to try a bluff are:
The C-Bet
Semi Bluff
Opponent Shows Weakness
Scare Card Appears

So another good lesson that got me to think about hands. Despite the informative lesson I kept thinking throughout this whole lesson about that old mantra "YOU DON'T BLUFF BAD PLAYERS!!!" Go figure.

Finish lesson 10 and onward to the 3rd week.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After watching this lesson i realize how bad i am at bluffing, i am always try to bluff on bad boards and the calling station players :( Even when i was answering the 1st quiz question i answered wrong, i would bluff that board trying to represent a 810s hand or an 9x hand. But i answered correctly the river question :D
I think I'm probably going to err in the other direction by not bluffing enough. But all in all it really seems like a lot depends on how the other player has been playing and in fact how I've been playing. The examples were very helpful.

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I am good at some of the art of deception, especially in free courses, but I do not recommend it in courses using high money, as there are professional players

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have the same situation of the user Cheeeer, sometimes I take a bluff so nice that I keep bluffing even when I don't need. This is one of my biggest errors

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I am good at some of the art of deception, especially in free courses, but I do not recommend it in courses using high money, as there are professional players
I've started to notice the difference between what Collin and Katie refer to as regs and recreational players. Not sure that regs are necessarily "professional players" but they do seem tougher than the average guy who's just poking around the table, like me.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So I'm 11 days in. I've been playing for years. So far I have found most of the information pretty basic, and I expected that. I did get a boost from the video about odds, gave me a different way to look at certain situations. I thought I'd be a contrarian but I've agreed with almost every word. I have passed the quizzes at the end of the videos with flying colors. I wish I would have been reading through each discussion thread as I moved along. There was some really good discussion here. I'd like to thank CardsChat for the learning opportunity and I'd also like to thank Colin and Katie for the effort in putting together these informative and easy to digest videos. Kudos to all!

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Finished Day #11

Thank you for this lesson.

Quiz answers :

1. It's not a good spot to bluff because our opponent calls the flop and the 6 is not a scare card and completes the straight draw.

2. It's a good spot to bluff because A is a scare card that we can represent and we don't have showdown value with QJs.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Art of Bluffing can be overrated - it's important to know the good points for Bluffing.

If you haven't read the 11th yet and watched the video from the 11th - take a few minutes now to do so and then come back here to discuss:
The Art of Bluffing

I hope you did well in the quiz! Let's discuss the 5 good Bluff Spots and Bluffs in general.

b164c9def63291899a42747662af09fb.png

9bae48e8b0b6064ee1698bd2e01bd23b.png
I rarely bluff, as I have a hard time seeing the best case scenario. But the bluffs that work best come from flops with A and c-bet flop, c-bet turn.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in the first question, why we can't choose to bet and play like as we have a big cards pair in hand and continue to be more aggressive ?
sorry but i find your argument to check the turn not very consistent, our opponent is in the big blind position and maybe we can consider him just defending the big blind because the raise in the pre-flop is not very high, but if we continue to bet and be more aggressive we can push him to fold especially with the cards in the flop and turn that are not a high cards.
what did you think ? :confused:
I agree. Aggression prevents, in this case, that the villain wants to steal.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MY Personal Bluffing Tips for all Members

Calculate your opponent's range compared to the board(even pros have different ranges, every amatuer has a different range) pay attention to your table
Calculate your opponents cbet frequency and sizing tells
and most importantly
Calculate your opponents fold equity

High level successful bluffing
isn't about bluffing straight out
It is about spotting an agro player stepping out of line and rebluffing him
Isn't it easier to bluff someone, that has nothing
Rather than bluff someone , that has something

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I'm 11 days in. I've been playing for years. So far I have found most of the information pretty basic, and I expected that. I did get a boost from the video about odds, gave me a different way to look at certain situations. I thought I'd be a contrarian but I've agreed with almost every word. I have passed the quizzes at the end of the videos with flying colors. I wish I would have been reading through each discussion thread as I moved along. There was some really good discussion here. I'd like to thank CardsChat for the learning opportunity and I'd also like to thank Colin and Katie for the effort in putting together these informative and easy to digest videos. Kudos to all!
read above post
is their something specific you wanted to learn about?

Last edited:
A

Anahita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think that bluffing in poker is art and I wondered very much when I saw it
You can call bluffing is one of skills to play poker but it’s not art bluffing is lying for self benefit to win the hand or game it’s not art
What ever bluffing is not even close to the art
Sorry

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
read above post
is their something specific you wanted to learn about?
Hello friend. It's been a while since I made that post. I don't recall having any specific questions. I read your last post in this thread as you suggested and found it informative. I decided to pick the course back up today actually. I haven't did it in a while. I'm not even sure how it works as far as proving you went through the whole course. It hasn't even saved my place so I just hope it keeps track somehow lol.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think that bluffing in poker is art and I wondered very much when I saw it
You can call bluffing is one of skills to play poker but it’s not art bluffing is lying for self benefit to win the hand or game it’s not art
What ever bluffing is not even close to the art
Sorry
it's an
ART

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Initially to make a bluff is to try to carry the well or just get respect at the table
?!
it is to use position and your possible range( coupled with your opponents fold equity )to pick up dead or uncontested pots

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The art of bluffing, another beautiful lesson, always remembering that consistency and profits will always come from value bets, this does not mean that you should not bluff, but that you must study, be attentive and observant to know where to bluff .

11/30

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are certain game circumstances where you will necessarily need to bluff. It's not always a choice. Think of the following situation: you are playing at a table where no one is bluffing. Everything is very simple. You bet when you have cards and fold when you don't. The game would be predictable, the limits would be strictly respected. This is not poker!
Bluffing is part of poker. It's the heart of the game. If we are never bluffing, our strategy is not correct and we could face serious difficulties against more competent opponents than us. Bluffing, therefore, is important in all limits.

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are certain game circumstances where you will necessarily need to bluff. It's not always a choice. Think of the following situation: you are playing at a table where no one is bluffing. Everything is very simple. You bet when you have cards and fold when you don't. The game would be predictable, the limits would be strictly respected. This is not poker!
Bluffing is part of poker. It's the heart of the game. If we are never bluffing, our strategy is not correct and we could face serious difficulties against more competent opponents than us. Bluffing, therefore, is important in all limits.
Man, honestly, the art of the bluff is one of the most horny parts of a poker game. I admire anyone who masters this art. 😎👊🏻👏🏻

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man, honestly, the art of the bluff is one of the most horny parts of a poker game. I admire anyone who masters this art. 😎👊🏻👏🏻

It definitely takes practice. The most fun I had learning was that since I rarely bluffed originally once I started mixing it in it took a long time for players to figure out I was doing it lol.

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It definitely takes practice. The most fun I had learning was that since I rarely bluffed originally I started mixing it in it took a long time for players to figure out I was doing it lol.
Hahaha😅
Practice and study…

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's definitely good to keep practicing it but don't overdo it or it can be costly :p
Do it when it feels right and not just because you think you have to.
Look at examples of great players doing it and try to figure out the thought processes.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing for me seems to be an art form. I think that to be a great bluffer that you have to be good at judging your opponents ranges so as not to fall into a trap. At the 1/2NL micros that I play, I don't think that most opponents stop to think about what I might have.
I got confused on the sample hand with the check raise at the river.......To me that looked like how to make a small fortune playing cards, start with a large one,