All in pre flop

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what's your opponent bets, but if you are the first to play just do a raise 3 or 4 BB's! if you has AA or KK. Dont go all in because with that pocket hand you want to take the most chips possible from your opponnents

V

villarge

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally agree with you. :D

I also agree. I know it can seem that monster pairs get bad beaten but I think this is just a mis-perception. We remember the times AA gets beaten but forget the times it wins.

I think it is sensible to raise with AA KK in order to build a pot. Of course sometimes this will lead to everyone folding but we just have to take the small win and move on.

I also think AA and KK are not strong favourites against several callers which is one reason why they lose to weaker hands sometimes. If we get lots of callers, the chances of one of them hitting their hand strongly is much greater.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also agree. I know it can seem that monster pairs get bad beaten but I think this is just a mis-perception. We remember the times AA gets beaten but forget the times it wins.

I think it is sensible to raise with AA KK in order to build a pot. Of course sometimes this will lead to everyone folding but we just have to take the small win and move on.

I also think AA and KK are not strong favourites against several callers which is one reason why they lose to weaker hands sometimes. If we get lots of callers, the chances of one of them hitting their hand strongly is much greater.

part of the reason we forget the times that AA wins is because we forget all the times we win small pots that don't "feel" big enough for aces...it almost feels like a bad beat in itself to just win the blinds with AA.

And it's easy to remember all the times we lose with them, because we usually lose our whole stack to a set or a draw that jams on us....so the times we lose are for more chips than the times we win (on average) and so it seems like AA and KK are doomed hands.

it's just a cognitive bias.

build a pot when you suspect you have the best hand, and then pot control when the board gets scary, or the action gets too heated.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its the best strategy!It is online poker and any hand can catch nuts on the flop.I do all in pre-flop only with AA.And it isnt garanted win for me

jtholdm

jtholdm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in

I tend to agree that you should raise a quarter of a stack or 5 x big blind because you will most likely get called and that is what you want. I have learned that i get much more value than going all in if i get raised than i will shove

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doubling up early has its advantage. you can chip lead quick and gives you better chances to double up against smaller stacks who shove 10-15bb. plus blinds are low and its early on, it will give you better approach if things are going your way.

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess Ill give my 2 cents worth here .

Really what is the purpose to going all in preflop early in tourney ?
What benefits does it have and what is the down side to it ?

Is this just a random move ? Or are you getting reads and then making this move ? If you have your reads then your play should follow and needed .
Know what your willing to risk because any hand can and will be beaten at one point and time when getting all in preflop .

best question to ask yourself is this can my hand hold up for 5 cards against this player and his range preflop .

Have a Good Day at The Tables

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go all in on the early stages of the tournament is very risky as any player, even the whole table can make a call and your aces turn into a rag

S

Stealth puzzle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Regardless of what you're minds eye thinks you are still better off playing AA early like you would J10 suited. You're still going to win at show down 83-% of the time and can milk a lot of early money with it. You don't need to maximize value on every hand, so simply play the hand and evaluate on each street. Utilize pot control, your read and abilities to make the proper plays on each street. If you're beat, they'll tell you. Most times you'll just get a check fold or bet fold but shoving (unless ur opponent is a complete station) will not be profitable enough in the long run that trapping a guy hooked on tp tk or a similar type hand. Plus playing AA like you do every other hand adds a lot of deception to your overall game and keeps even donks guessing. Unfortunately you'll mis play and lose some big chips but you'll still be in it and can continue to exploit weaknesses. You can't do that from the rail. Jmo though.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-in pre-flop earlier in a tournament it's not a good playing unless we raise with AA or KK and we are confronted with a re-raise or all-in of the opponent(s). Any other hands, as I have read above and I agree, such as AK, AQ or even QQ or JJ, should be played with carefull; the tournaments are long and certanly there will come a better hand or a better opportunity to get chips.

M

MPaz_87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in pre flop is just luck, I've gone all in with AA and lose against 72, 89, 10's, etc. No matter what you have, if you have a bad day you are alwas going to lose.

xaxawa

xaxawa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All-in preflop with premium hand If I have 10BB or less. in another case it's bluff

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tell this couple of times ALLWAYS SEE THE FLOP , after flop you can play. All in preflop is Bingo, and played only if you are shortstack or with monster cards ( AA,KK) when nobody on table cant make you out of tournament.Or after bubble when you wanna chips for final table. GL :fight:

J

Jonathan Bradenton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe there's no need to raise all-in in the beginning of a tournament, you'll have other less risky chances to get more chips. If other player called it and everybody else folded, you MIGHT go with a pair or AK. If there are 1 or more calls, I'd just go with AA or KK.

In the end of a tournament sometimes you need to go all-in because the blinds will soon make you out of chips.

Alexsandr Kononov

Alexsandr Kononov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From our experience , for every stack is better not to respond to shove. Constantly there were cases when your strong pair on the river move of two, four , etc. So now I just put the big blind or calls a small bet , and then depending on the hand or situation. So , all- in preflop Inn at local players - nonsense.

S

Stev1337

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should move all-in preflop only when you have Aces(AA). However luck plays an important role everytime when you move all-in preflop !
Good luck !

I

ilostmysoul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it takes some skill. All-ins pre-flop are profitable so long as you have the best of it. If there was some thought process going on before the shove, then it should be safe to assume you know you are ahead against what your opponent is holding.

Sklansky said you should try to take advantage of your opponent's mistakes, and they make a mistake every time they play differently from what they would play if they knew what you had. So if you shove with AK and someone calls with AQ or KQ, you will win long term, because that person just made a mistake. It doesn't matter at all whether or not they catch the card that Queen.

S

spazdm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if your going all in preflop at the beginning of the tourney then luck but it also depends on the position your in, and if your small stacked and if the blinds are going to take you out. So it can be skill if you do it at the right time, so i would say both at the same time. May all members have good luck on their preflop all ins :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
All in preflop is Bingo,

I'm confused... Are the Mid-High Stakes HeadsUp Hyper Turbo SnG players basically 'bingo' players? How come some of them have an edge over the field & are consistently making heaps of money? (& this is an edge over others who are playing at that level... who no doubt have a big edge over others who are playing below that level)

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think going all in pre flop, is not always good unless you have a pair of AA that are not signal that are winning , all in pre flop is luckier for me than anything else.

crazyangel88

crazyangel88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you make a big call whit nothing and hit two pairs or trips and u sure other Players have a big pair i think is skill to goo all in if you sure the players have a big poket allawys players whit big pokets call in this position . Think you bluff or you have a smal pair . When you win vs AA is nice no ? But you dont remember this no ? But when you lose whit AA vs a idiot you allawys remember . But when you call whit nothing like a donk and hit and win vs AA dont remember :> .

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All in pre flop is skill if you are the first to go all in and force everyone else to fold, or you get callers and your hand holds up, however, this borders on luck also, coz your opponents only need to increase their percentages slightly to put them in a better position than you. If you are the second or subsequent all in shout, then it is purely down to luck. It cannot be skill because someone else has already shoved and you don't know what they have or what will come along on the board....there is no skill in that!

UhhWee

UhhWee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just try to keep the times going allin as low as possible, the luck factor is still to high (variance) also with AA!!

spankywhlam

spankywhlam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most annoying, when you're going allin, for example, having on hands a monster, and any ****erel with 2 7 different colors wins. Everything depends on a case. But you shouldn't forget about a known saying:
"Who doesn't risk, that doesn't drink champagne" ;)

TheCol

TheCol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think pushing allin pre flop with AK AQ AJ is more of a gamble than pushing allin pre flop with AA KK QQ. The skill part is know when to push and what to push pre-flop. AK AQ AJ are not made hands so you really need to be pretty sure when to push with those hands. Now if you have a 20k stack against a 5k stack then pushing allin pre flop is a pretty easy push. But if your up against a bigger stack then I would recommend pushing with a good made hand if your going to put your tournament or chips at stake.