All in pre flop

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally the shoving strategy requires no skill but if you are a short stack say 10 big blinds then it is recommended to go shove all in pre flop rather than raising 2-3 big blinds. So those who play shoving game are not using very little skill.

B

Boriska797

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, it is success rather!Ability does not help me, I am an excellent player.

J

johnbossinger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill or luck

Any time you are all in pre-flop you are relying on luck, but that doesnt mean there isn't some skill involved as well though. All in pre-flop is just a bad move unless you already have a majority of your chips invested due to raising or calling an already placed bet. All in pre-flop is gambling, remember your not there to knit a sweater. You also have to take in account the players and thier skills if any. Some just rely on luck and others have more money than brains too. So you make the call, Do you feel lucky? :jd4:

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am one of those weirdos who like to get a flop first before committing my stack. Generally you get more chips this way. You can build the pot through calls postflop and then push when you know you are ahead or have a lock hand.

T

torosanti012

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually feel there is a need to shove in your stack sometimes as it is a way of getting maximum value for your hand, to know when to do that or when not to do it is part of the skills that poker requires.

INGAJ

INGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think players who goes all in preflop are just afraid to loose after flop. So they choose all in preflop

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Biggest part is skill of course, but luck is always a part of poker too. Inevidable.

L

lost2qandisa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still I say a prelop shove is not warranted unless you are short stacked, mid-stacked late in a tourney. AA is your best odd to win and it will only win 3 out of 10 times when you shove all in preflop and it gets called. AA wins a lot more when you do C - bets and push others out. The power in the top pairs is your ability to get other players to fold. You lose power with a preflop shove unless your only goal is to steal a blind.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good players win hands without showdown.
they try to avoid AIPF situations, unless their blind/stack ratio warrants it in the late stages of a tournament.
you can tell a lot about a player by looking at how they win.
Bad players win tournaments, but you'll notice that they won a TON of flips and were on a heater
if you look at skilled players you'll recognize that they find a way to grind out a stack without ever putting themselves at risk.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
obv. in some circumstances AIPF is the objective
(I.E with AA in a cash game vs a maniac)
stacking off with AK in a cash game, conversely, can never be optimal and in most cases your probably behind

D

dasher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still I say a prelop shove is not warranted unless you are short stacked, mid-stacked late in a tourney. AA is your best odd to win and it will only win 3 out of 10 times when you shove all in preflop and it gets called.
This is not true unless you meant to say "gets called by every player at the table" - which is a very unlikely scenario.

You want it all in pre-flop with pocket Aces, though the best way to get there is to put in a raise and hope someone else re-raises. A shove has a good chance to get a call because they might think you're trying to steal.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in preflop is risky i think. Depending on pos and game. But in start of a tournement it o
Is lottery

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes i feel like going all in preflop, i just listen to my instinct and surprizingly i win. The only way to win preflop in my opinion is having extremely good cards and a weak opponent or simply a deja vu, but there's no skill on that, so simply a waste of money.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
guys i,m new in poker .now these days i almost played sng & freeroll . mostly players goes all in when they have A,K A,Q A,J but i think its wrong way .go all in before flop its skill or luck?

You play SnG and freerolls, where like you (beginners) - a lot. Most hands you watched made ​​for good luck. Right push - this is a skill, strategy, for eogo need to closely monitor the players at the table. Flop gives more information about the strength of your hand and the chances of improving it. With the nuts on the flop, go all-in is possible from any position, but do not forget that you should strive to increase the pot and the game broke could frighten away rivals.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
guys i,m new in poker .now these days i almost played sng & freeroll . mostly players goes all in when they have A,K A,Q A,J but i think its wrong way .go all in before flop its skill or luck?

Frequent aipf early in the tournament is commonly referred to as "donkey bingo"- not much skill involved, just players attempting to double up early instead of grinding it up.

There are some articles around on push/fold strategy regarding shortstack play that are worth a look for late game decisions.

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on 4 vectors : your card , position( steal blinds ) , timing and oppenement?

That why an all in preflop is the most of the time a skill play

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it's correct to go all in before the flop - when you ask poker players for advice you need to give us the FULL picture.
Example:
1- 1st hand of a freeroll, we start with 75+ big blinds. We have AK, in the big blind. 4 people go all in before us. For me this is a fold here, 5 ways AK will be behind often.
2 - We have 8 big blinds, We have AK, in the big blind. 2 people go all in before us. We have to call, AK is too good in a 3 way pot - good chance for us to triple up.
These examples are very different but hopefully you get my point

this is the the very best answer and i want only to add that you need peace of luck with the board

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill or luck? hmmm.. maybe both :D
Going all-in pre flop can end in good and bad way.
If u want to go all-in pre flop u can do it with AA KK QQ AK AQ if u feel like u can do it. Usually this ends with every1 other fold. If some1 call only luck can help u to win or lose hand/game.
Going all-in pre flop with no cards like this is more like a risk play that will probably end bad for u if some1 call.

It is skill to know when to go ALL-IN and when not to.
After you go all-in it`s all luck.

Ditcho

Ditcho

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is temporary, it is not permanent. While the skills their acquisition and improvement is a long-term investment which is worth to invest. What you can teach a person if a big part of his game moves all-in pre-flop. It's bingo game. Yes, depends on the situation, opponents, your position, the level of bets, stack and other ... And yet, I don't think this kind of "strategy" is fruitful.:hmmmm2:

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't like going all in preflop myself. Obviously, the more often you go all in, the more often you put your tournament survival at risk. If it's a cash game, well, maybe there's an exception there (i don't play many cash games actually so I wouldn't know).

The way I look at it is this: AA is still just a pair and AK if it doesn't connect with anything on the flop is still just a draw.

SO MANY things can beat a pair and a draw. I do not think it is wise to put all your chips at risk preflop except for two situations:

1. You are shortstacked (less than 15BB) and have to make a move before you get blinded out
2. You are deepstacked and can afford the risk.

situation 1 is always scary, and 2 can get you into trouble if you do not respect your chipstack enough to limit how many times you actually do put someone all in.

So you asked if putting all your chips in preflop is gambling. YES because you are going in with just a pair or a draw at best (hardly the guaranteed nuts).

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early in your tournament is it a safe bet to go all in pre flop. Your only looking at two cards you don't know how other player are playing yet. I get so crazy in a game when you go all in you with Aa Kk to call all in you should have a top ten starting hand to call and the range of hands that do call off the chart. Now with AA KK I tend to slow play see the flop cheap then make a move. Am I wrong or playing to cautious?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont think that allin early in a tourney is optimal, if you have AA you are missing value, if you have AK you are a dog to a pair of 3s

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For AA and KK, raise enough preflop about 1/4 of your stack. Shove if someone reraises you. Call any shove.

For AK, play this by raising 4BB preflop. Play this carefully.

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with what u guys said and yet i dont agree. I believe that in all tables u have fish and donks, but its relative to know that the lower stakes or even FR tournaments u must change up style a bit. AA pre raise for a 1/4 of ur stack u will get a 98 56 10J calling u every time and will usually hit. Now i know u want those calls b/c u think u will get better value but in my personal experience and opinion they will 9 times out of 10 bust u. But early in a tourney when u push AI with the Ks As and bigslick u will only find paints and moderately low pockets calling. I guess u must take in to consideration all the variables of the tourney. But if u find urself at a good table with actual players and a decent buy in i believe playing how u both said is the correct way