I taught myself. Must be why very bad game. LOL

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned how to play poker in high school. My friends and I would get together once in a while a to play various poker games. I was introduced to 5-Card Draw, 7-Card Draw, 7-Card No Peek, 9-Card Baseball( 3's and 9's Wild - 4's you get an extra card face down), 7-Stud(One-Eyed Jacks and the Suicide King Wild) and sometimes 9-Card No Look Anaconda( players pass cards to the left or right). My friends and I also played a lot of Acie-Ducey(Hi/Lo Split or In Between). We had a blast learning and playing these games.

M

Mantones

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learn from videos or from hand reviews and also from poker forums,that helps me alot

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grandfather taught me a variation of poker when I was a little kid, and we played quite frequently.

I taught myself Hold Em when I bought a Texas Hold Em game on the original Xbox. Used to play it online w/ friends.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Started for me watching the family play. Eventually I was allowed to join in and started winning having watched everyone for years.

laceypearls

laceypearls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned from watching the wsop on television then I started playing on full tilt poker and poker stars won my first online tournament within 3 months of learning to play on Poker Stars. Came in 1st on a $3.30 buy in.

M

Mug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I taught myself. I was too stubborn and bullheaded to do any research, watch any instructional videos or even pick up a book. I started playing on partypoker and Pokerroom and lets just say it was a pricey yet important lesson. I wish I had someone to tell me how big of a fish I was at the time. I played a lot, reloaded over and over again until I figured out what worked, and what did not work. I never cashed out even once in the early days.

Once I started playing on Full tilt, something finally clicked for me and found my niche playing STTs. The more I played, the more I learned by first hand experience. I was away from the game since Black Friday until recently, and now that I am a little older and a little wiser, I realized that I still have a lot more to learn. I picked up every notable book written on the subject, and realized how many basic and advanced concepts I had learned on my own but never really truly understood the ins and outs of.

BuvA7

BuvA7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in now days i would say my mistakes - made me a better poker player. But when it all started - i think regular video poker gave me the knowlege of strongest cards and TV broadcasting gave me better introduction into Texas Holdem, thats when i desided to open some web accounts and start to play. And yea i was standing near my uncle while playing poker for the first time so i think he takes the credit 50% rest is my own will to watch and learn.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned to play poker with my coworker, then leei some books and so I improved my game

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a friend that taught me the very basics. Obviously I thought I knew all I needed to at that point. Most everything I've learned via trial and error, forums, books or videos.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For everything other than the very basics (which I think I learned from watching old World Poker Tour TV shows) it was this forum that taught me how to play poker.

art595

art595

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched my dad play.And playing with my friends