Who taught you how to play?

D

DawnNuts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot of my elders when I was younger. we use to have family 5$ buy in tournaments.

D

DawnNuts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but mainly my uncle who set up the tourneys who taught me the thinking of the game and the experience came from the playing tourneys

M

m3th0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ESPN and WPT commentators taught me how to play so I had to relearn a lot of things :) and celebrity poker with phil helmuth.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i learned hot to play when i was around 13-14 from my uncle, but i just knew the basic rules.

It wasnt untill i signed up to cardschat in 2012 that i actually learned everything else. Made a thread here. Exchanged opinions with better players than i was and got a WHOLE lot better.

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My son played poker before me and I got interested.

ChillinVillian

ChillinVillian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched my dad play cards with all the local boys for years . Finally I got to sit in a game at like 13 with some uncles and aunts at my uncles house that was about 2 miles from my place . Why do I bring up the distance between the homes ? Well my uncle Poncho sent me home walking with no pants ! Yup , he won everything I had and even had me betting my PANTS ! He did make me walk home that night in my friggin underwear and it was fall , I remember it so clearly !:(

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It started for me when I saw WPT on our local sports channel.

I researched and read books and articles regarding poker without playing at first.

The application came later.

D

Drtanner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
moneymaker got me into poker then books and playing for free

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing better to learn from someone who is Pro or poker schools there are several very good, while learning to go get tickets to play in arcades. Also watch many videos live poker. greeting

PieterTerAar

PieterTerAar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was always interested in card games. I used to play against the computer on an free gamesite. Then i found an App for my mobile. I liked clash of clans a lot more but when my ipad broke i start playing poker more seriously and i downloaded pokerstars. Watched videos etc.

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just curious about how did you all learn how to play poker? Just like a lot of other games, I actually learned by watching others then taught myself how to play and got better at it as I played more and more... How did you learn how to play?

Completely taught myself. All of my family and extended family cannot play poker. Anyone the same?

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody. I just play. I think best way to learn poker - is to play the game. To understand different thigs is good to wach translation from big life tournaments. For example, russian commentators always told about technical side of the game, different combination and other things.

rickypr18

rickypr18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my neighborhood friends taught me the rules, I learned by myself from there.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
i learned hot to play when i was around 13-14 from my uncle, but i just knew the basic rules.

It wasnt untill i signed up to cardschat in 2012 that i actually learned everything else. Made a thread here. Exchanged opinions with better players than i was and got a WHOLE lot better.

Come on.... no B.S. You still haven't learned how to play :p

OP, I learned how to play from my mother (no.. not your mother,.. my mother!). She would often pull out the cards & chips/coins & start up a game when family was visiting (or neighbours, or my friends, etc. etc.). It started from as long ago as I can remember (I can remember them helping me fan out the cards in my hand while playing 5cd. draw, because my hands weren't quite big enough to hold them that way myself).

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Come on.... no B.S. You still haven't learned how to play :p

OP, I learned how to play from my mother (no.. not your mother,.. my mother!). She would often pull out the cards & chips/coins & start up a game when family was visiting (or neighbours, or my friends, etc. etc.). It started from as long ago as I can remember (I can remember them helping me fan out the cards in my hand while playing 5cd. draw, because my hands weren't quite big enough to hold them that way myself).

i miss u too PO.:p

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Somebody bought me a poker set which I think was 7 card stud when I was about 10... I had nobody to play with so I bought a book on Patience games and played those instead... Played Poker more seriously when I was about 20 ! But never as serious as today.. Was just a few mates playing for fun not really knowing how to play or bet properly...

Gumppoker

Gumppoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my uncle taught me the basics when i was young but everything since has been taught by me

N

NadezhdaFMS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I myself learned to play poker

Of course online game is different from a live session, mainly to play online poker))) learn the basics and then were developments

CSVidal

CSVidal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
soon I learned to play at online poker beginning with a platform of party poker that teach the basics of the game. after I myself was seeking more knowledge in books and videos to improve my game

G

godofpoker07

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i used to watch wsop on tsn and espn before, doyle brunson and a few others were big names or at least people would talk about them more than others in the game at the time.

I have joined the pokerstars pokerschool and so far have enjoyed what they have to offer.

so tv and pso would be teachers in a way while practicing in tourneys at home sometimes.

E

ElgringoLoco

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was 14 my father belonged to an underground jewish gambling club (long time ago). He was a professional Gin player, but a terrible poker player. Every Tuesday evening they would have the 400 min buy-in Stud Hi-Lo game. One night he was up big, so he bought me in and after that I would play each week, for a few years until I was old enough to play at indian reservations or the local veterans game.

It is unfortunate that it has become a dead game, it will always be my favorite probably because its how I got introduced, now people love omaha more. When I lived outside the country I could at least play on Stars.