What percent of poker is luck?

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck does not exist its all probability. Game of skill and not chance. No luck there.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck does not exist its all probability. Game of skill and not chance. No luck there.

Ok... Lets say I have AA... lagtard shoves into me pre... I call... He flips up 24 off suit... Flop... 444. There's nothing I can do about that... It's out of my hands... So is that not considered luck that he won?

G

gjpa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I totally disagree with you dude... Stop believing than skill will make you win always in this game, this can only maximize your chances of winning, not assure you will do it, you are not that pro lol

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really, whether poker is luck depends on the sample size you're using. Chance-based games even out over the long run so that you're left with nothing but pure EV, which in all poker games can be manipulated via skill.

So, over one game every poker format (sans perhaps cash games played by very skilled players) is gonna be majority luck.

Over a whole year of grinding though, it will be completely, 100% pure skill.
Time got nothing to do with sample size, a player can play 50k or 500k hands a year and this not mean will be 100% skill just because played over a year.

Ev even out on long run but long run is infinite, so ev could never even out for some that not play millions and millions of hands, in which case never can say will be 100% skill.

Fortmax

Fortmax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2003 wsop Main Event : Chris Moneymaker vs Phil Ivey
ACE - QUEEN vs Pocket 9
Moneymaker busted Ivey & won the Tournament

2009 WSOP Main Event : Darvin Moon vs Phil Ivey
ACE - QUEEN vs ACE - KING
Moon busted Ivey & got the 2nd Place

Where is the skill ? No matter how good you are or great you are, NOBODY has the CONTROL :rolleyes: of cards that will come to you.
Luck for me is about 75 % to 80 %
Skill for me is about 25 % to 20 %
SKILL is OVERRATED in Poker .:beer:

vegasjj

vegasjj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that typically - if you are able to make your opponents fold before showdown and you take the pot - that mostly involves a higher degree of skill. You may be able to use the combination of table image, flopped cards, table chat, (in live poker body language) and whatever else to create the illusion of a winning hand. In this case skill is by far the greatest factor - although I still give some credit to luck because the "right conditions" were created to give the opportunity for the "skilled" player to use them.
However - if you going to showdown - really - luck is the boss! Unless you have a Royal or similar hand. Most hands ARE vulnerable to the river card. There may be statistically only 10% chance to lose - but guess what - the cards don't know that - it will be whatever it will be. THAT IS THE LUCK

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmmm....theory gets you to the point where the odds are "in your favor" and given a large enough sample set produces a positive outcome...
..."luck" is what we call that seemingly magical force that gives variance the appearance of always favoring your arsehat of a villain as he repeatedly thrives by making the most outlandish calls and ultimately sends you and your pf all in with pp Aces to the rail "with his favorite hand, 93os" :banghead:
:rolleyes:

No that's not it at all. When you get all in preflop with AA vs. 93o and win, you don't think of it as being lucky, but you are awarded 100% of the pot when you don't deserve that much. You deserve about 88% of it, and the other guy deserves about 12%. If you get all in preflop with AA vs. 93o for a $1 pot 1 million times, if you win 1 million times, you are very very very lucky. That won't happen, but in the end you will most likely end up with around $876,000 or so and the other guy will deservedly win about $124,000.

This is obviously a hugely advantageous situation, one that you will take every time. Unfortunately in poker, your edges are rarely this large, however, you still have to push those slim edges. Pushing those slim edges repeatedly, over and over, countless times, is what poker is about, and there is essentially zero luck involved in that process.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No that's not it at all. When you get all in preflop with AA vs. 93o and win, you don't think of it as being lucky, but you are awarded 100% of the pot when you don't deserve that much. You deserve about 88% of it, and the other guy deserves about 12%. If you get all in preflop with AA vs. 93o for a $1 pot 1 million times, if you win 1 million times, you are very very very lucky. That won't happen, but in the end you will most likely end up with around $876,000 or so and the other guy will deservedly win about $124,000.

This is obviously a hugely advantageous situation, one that you will take every time. Unfortunately in poker, your edges are rarely this large, however, you still have to push those slim edges. Pushing those slim edges repeatedly, over and over, countless times, is what poker is about, and there is essentially zero luck involved in that process.

Exactly,
There is no such thing as luck. Thinks for the example maybe they will understand now.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The better you are the luckier you get.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Poker is a luck when you have only 2 outs to win, when you have higher straight than your opponent, when you have better full house than him etc. for example this is lucky, because it situation runner runner: SICK HAND Filippo Candio vs. Joseph Cheong 2010 WSOP unbelievable - YouTube
I saw all WSOP 2010, Candio was on a tilt and make a stupid move.

That is my favourite youtube vid, his reaction makes me laugh every time I see it :D

Felt bad for Joseph Cheong tho :)

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally disagree with you dude... Stop believing than skill will make you win always in this game, this can only maximize your chances of winning, not assure you will do it, you are not that pro lol

You're right with one part. Skill will not make you win always in this game. Sometimes it is out of your hands, you can do everything right and still lose (ie, all-in pre-flop with AA vs T9 offsuit).

However, continuing to put yourself in these type of situations repeatedly over time, will result in a long-term profit. And that is where the skill part comes in. Being able to know when you are ahead and when you are behind.

If you have the second-best hand and you decide to fold it, that's skill!

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I folded JJ post flop when this guy raised with a K on board.

The guy after him just called, when they both got to showdown, I was glad I folded as the guy who called the raise had KK.

That was a good lay down, I knew I was beaten there. I used to be stupid before I studied the game, I would of played that hand wanting to see a J on the next card lol

T

Taszzman41

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck

50/50 Depending on the hand..........if you can get the money in with the best hand then that's all u can do ....:tee:

C

crdcounter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
skill vs luck

The only people who believe luck over skill in poker is losing players.

edge28

edge28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill and results will come in the long run. For a poker player to see it's real accurate winrate at a certain limit he probably needs to put 1 million hands+ under the same conditions. That's more hand than most players do lifetime.

S

stebu94

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When losing it is 99% bad luck 1% bad play
When winning it is 1% luck 99% skill.

C

cleiton1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that is 70 per cent luck 30 mper cent skills because the time i am playing poker i have seen a lots of things for example three times i cant forget is with AA I HAD LOOSE,and many times i had fold 27 38 and i saw the flop for example 2 K 2 OR 3 Q 3.So the skills are important but you must have plenty of luck.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ok... Lets say I have AA... lagtard shoves into me pre... I call... He flips up 24 off suit... Flop... 444. There's nothing I can do about that... It's out of my hands... So is that not considered luck that he won?
I agree with you even when I get an Ace on TURN and another Ace on RIVER ... :)

There is certainly this thing called LUCK ... the adjective is sometimes "Good" and sometimes "Bad", but there is LUCK.

In answer to the initial question, I'd say poker, on average, can be ( for a good player) about 80% SKILL and 20% LUCK.

Last edited:
bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pareto's Law would say 80% SKILL and 20% LUCK for a good poker player, on average.

Certainly, LUCK is a factor, but SKILL is dominant ... sort of like STACK SIZE and POSITION are "often" dominant to the the HOLE CARDS.

Wally

B

BigSaxy913

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO I think luck is subjective. Yes there's a time where you just get good hands one after the other, however, even AA gets beat, like what, 15-20% of the time I've heard.

To me there isn't really a number, it's how you play your opponents. Exploiting their weaknesses, and making good calls.

There's no number really, it just depends on what comes out and how you deal with it.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could be a loser and still say that. When your odds are 80% to 20% you lose once every five times (probability, not luck) that's all I'm saying, dude.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the states we as poker players rely on poker being a game of skill for legalizing and regulation. Luck shouldn't even be in our vocabulary. I hope that's the last time I say it.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What are the NFL teams doing right now? Training camp/preseason, practicing to become better. All they can do is practice to become as good as they can be. So that when week one comes, they can maximize their chances of winning.

Of course you can't assure a future event. As long as it is possible for a future event to occur (ie 74 offsuit to beat AA preflop) you can't guarantee anything. All you can do is prepare yourself to win the best you can (in poker, by getting your money in with the best hand).

There are upsets/underdogs in everything. In sports, games, and poker (ie 74 offsuit vs AA preflop). The underdogs are going to win one in a while. That's just a fact. If the possibility for the underdog to win is higher than 0%, then it is going to happen sometimes. Of course the favorite is more likely to win, and if the favorite and the underdog play 100 times, the favorite will almost always win more than 50 times. But in any given game (or hand) it is absolutely possible for the underdog (or worst hand) to win.

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Initially I thought that poker was 75-80% skill but lately I've changed my opinion on that. Now I think it's about 60% luck vs 40% skill, probably an even bigger luck factor than that. The reason is because there is so much more to the luck than just getting a better hand and getting it good, there are so many factors at play like If I have a big hand will my opponent have a hand that will pay me off or give me some value? will my Aces hold up vs villains 52o is the next card going to be a gin card or is it going to kill my action? plus there are other less mathematical factors involved am I going to get a good seat in the next tournament I play? is mister bigfish going to be at the table when I'm up to doing a session? what if mrbigfish shows up right after I leave the table. what if someone takes a line with a hand they aren't meant to play that somehow losses us value because if he had folded the next guy would have been coolered when the board came out.
Basically there is so much going on that we can't control and it all effects events that I think luck really plays a huge factor in poker. However there is some good news in that even if it were only 10% skill it would still be profitable in the long run provided you get the volume because we all get the same amount of luck and good fortune, when we get that dream spot to make a semi bluff or the hand to cooler the other guy. But good players are able to maximize the winnings when luck goes there way and minimize the losses when things go sour. (though I suppose mister rake would have something to say about 10% skill being profitable :p )

And to those people that say that in long run it's 100% skill. I say that's just silly because over those 100 trillion gazillion hands you played, luck was a factor in almost every single one of them

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh and to add to my last post, I also think that different forms of poker produce different levels of luck. deep stacked heads up is more skill than a 3000 player turbo freeroll