• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
alipalip

alipalip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is skill and luck but like they said earlier you can lose to someone who gets lucky. Now the pros like Phil Ivey so on and so forth win all the time which clearly shows you that if every hand is played smart you can reach the final table at any table

G

gabrielrr33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really is a combination that you must have in skill and intelligence personnel luck. 50% of each

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not about luck or skill. Poker is like a pipe.

Now we all start our poker careers as noobs in other words we are bad pipes/weak pipes. We gradually start improving by starting up accounts, buying books, get subscriptions to poker video site's etc. Now this costs money but we become better poker players almost like if we pay more for a pipe we expect the pipe to be stronger etc.

Now you see in poker you have leaks and with pipes you have leaks. The way to fix those leaks in poker is to practice etc and the way to fix pipe leaks is to hire a plumber(experienced person). In poker we strive to be the plumber( the experienced player) and help those with leaks.

Obviously when we the plumbers(experienced players) we also try and get money off the customer, in poker the customer is the fish. Plumbers get there money from customers when the customers pipe is broken just like experienced poker players get there money from fish.

Last edited:
P

pokahqueen623

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill and luck are part of the game. Someone here said to play AA, you need to get people out, as many as possible. I agree with this mindset. I like to have only one caller. I think play the Aces big - if I only take the blinds well that is much better than having several in the hand who can catch something. If that one caller calls my bet, then I shove. Better to play them big, straight out of the gate.
:)
So, in answer to this question - definitely skill is huge. But never count out luck.

L

LoD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my point of view it is not a question of either luck or skill. Poker is both depending on the timespan you are looking at:

If you are just taking into account one or two tournaments or one session of cash game it is definitely a game of luck. But in the long-term perspective it is more and more about skill. A person can win a tournament or reach a final table or have an extremely successful session of cash game with pure luck. But to succeed in the longrun you definitely need more than just luck (although it is alway nice to have), you need to have skill including the right maths, patience and experience.

pahan434

pahan434

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker - skill or luck?

I decided to open the topic - do you think poker is based on luck or skill?

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
both.....but you should not count on this.....use your skills to win ...

A

alexmn

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
skills , because you can't always be lucky

M

Mheat2013

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is based mostly on skill, but it doesnt hurt to be lucky

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Mostly skill with a little bit a luck, either with or against you.

I would rather win with skill rather than luck.

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This type of thread is started often. I say luck, guided by skill.

K

kisintin01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only skill. Good luck there - there are defeats, but the fact is, skills - how to create one minimum risk and a big win. It's all part of the skills of good poker players)

pricechoppin

pricechoppin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WEll I think to be successful online bit is mostly based on skill. But in poker you do need some luck because you cant always rely on your skills to take the big pots down at a crucial time of the game lets face it the best hand doesn't always win so you need to be able to read the play well and get lucky at times doing so imo ...

Mason Pye

Mason Pye

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with supanaz' percentages. In order to be profitable at poker, you're going to require a good skills base, and is why I would learn and study the game more by going through hand histories and taking notes. However, to win large field tournaments such as the wsop Main Event require a fair amount of luck, like getting it in bad but coming out on top. That is why I would work on your game more and make the correct decisions rather than worrying about the bad beat you just took. Poker is not like blackjack or roulette where luck is the only factor. With poker, skill is the predominant factor.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
You tell me, these 3 hands were in a row in today's Full Tilt game.

Capture

Capture1

Capture2

I

ImYD

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many professionals say 60% luck and 40% skill (MTT in offline)

A

Alexander1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
natural skill! but luck has not been canceled

GoMuCkUrSeLfZ

GoMuCkUrSeLfZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a game of skill and luck. nobody can say they have every won a tournament without both or otherwise they would be lying. You are not only playing your cards but your opponets as well.

I

insidious96

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker it is best to have them both.:)

S

sagivifergan

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both , You need "luck" to get good hands and skill to make as much money as u can from them :)

Some players can make the same profit of AA with lower hands .

skull89

skull89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any game, and we can generalize, can cut the luck off. But poker, depends very much of studying and analysing the hands and odds, more than luck absolutely.

P

Philip Cruz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game that for are perfect have to had luck and skill. They are complementary.

Top 10 Games